1. You’re not going to be any less lonely in the wrong relationship. You might miss the feeling of being in a relationship so badly that you’ll settle for anyone. But being alone is much better than being with the wrong person. When you’re with someone who doesn’t fit you right, you’re going to be lonely even when you’re in the same room, in the same bed, under the same covers. The loneliness isn’t going to magically go away, simply because your relationship status isn’t single.
2. You don’t want to break someone else’s heart while trying to heal your own. Even though a rebound relationship might be the perfect distraction for you, you have to take a second to ask yourself whether what you’re doing to this other person is right. If they’re really into you and assume you feel the same way, you’re going to end up breaking their heart. You’re going to cause the same type of damage you’re trying to heal from yourself.
3. Getting underneath someone new won’t help you forget about someone old. If you’re still crazy about your ex, you’re going to compare them to this new person. Your body might be with someone new but your heart will still be stuck in the past. As much as you might want to move on, there’s no quick fix to a broken heart. It takes time to heal. You can’t skip over your heartache. Sometimes, you have to sit in those feelings for a while.
4. The best revenge is being happy without them. You might feel like getting in a rebound relationship is the best way to show your ex what they’re missing — but you shouldn’t make yourself miserable in the process of trying to get over them. If you want revenge, don’t force them to watch you with a new partner. Force them to watch you move on without them and live happily ever after. Force them to see you thrive in your career, your friendships, and your life as a whole. You don’t need a new partner to make the old one jealous.
5. It’s entirely possible to move on. A rebound relationship might not be your dream relationship, but it can be a good reminder that there are other people out there who are interested in you. It’s also a reminder that you can do this again. You can get back into the dating game You can kiss. You can flirt. You can have fun. Breaking up with your ex wasn’t the end of your dating journey. It’s only the beginning.
6. You shouldn’t feel bad about doing what it takes to heal. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone else, are honest about your intentions, and are practicing safe sex, you can sleep with whoever you want to sleep with. You might not get over your ex by jumping into a rebound relationship, but it could help you cope for a little while. If that’s what you need, don’t feel guilty about it. Don’t feel ashamed. You’re single now. You’re allowed to do whatever you want with your body.