Sometimes, you should end a relationship before you end up breaking the other person’s heart. If you find yourself relating to the statements below, then you’re probably better off single for now:
1. You have a backup plan prepared. You haven’t stopped paying attention to other guys since you started dating. In fact, you have a pretty good idea of who you would chase after if your current relationship ended. You already have other options in the back of your head.
2. You cringe whenever he mentions the future. You feel weird talking about things too far down the line, because honestly, you can’t picture yourself with him for that long. You don’t consider the relationship as permanent as he does. You’re pretty sure he’s going to be long gone by then, but apparently, he sees your situation differently.
3. You avoid spending too much time with his friends and his family. You don’t want them to get attached to you. And you don’t want to get attached to them either. After all, you don’t think you’re going to be in his life for that much longer. There’s a chance, but it’s not a big chance.
4. You haven’t stopped talking to guys who are interested in you. You haven’t deleted your exes or almosts from your phone, even though they are always inviting you over to hookup. You might not accept their invitations since you’re in a relationship now, but you don’t take that relationship serious enough to completely cut ties with them, either.
5. You aren’t putting in nearly as much effort as him. He’s the one sending good morning messages and setting plans and keeping the conversations going. If he stopped putting in the energy, then you probably wouldn’t pick up the slack. You would accept the relationship is over — which means you’re delaying the inevitable already.
6. You are more concerned with other areas of your life than your love life. You’ve been busy worrying about your career and your friendships and your family and a million other things. You haven’t really been prioritizing your relationship. In fact, it’s probably the least of your worries right now. There are other things you consider more important.
7. Your heart belongs to someone else. No matter how hard you try to enjoy this new relationship, your heart just isn’t in it. You thought you were in a good enough place to date again, but apparently, you were wrong.
8. You get uncomfortable when he buys you gifts or surprises you with romantic gestures. You feel like you haven’t earned it. You feel like you’re never going to pay him back. You feel like he’s going to regret it once he realizes that you aren’t actually the girl of his dreams.
9. You’ve taken the relationship further than you originally wanted. Maybe you’ve uttered those three little words. Maybe you’ve put an official label on your relationship. Maybe you’ve made it seem like you’re in this for the long haul, when really, you aren’t completely sure about him yet. Maybe you need a little more time until your feelings match the intensity of his — or maybe it’s only a matter of time until you break his heart.