1. Getting jealous. Your boyfriend is going to have female friends. Your boyfriend is going to have exes. If you can’t handle hearing him talk about another woman, then you’re going to have some serious problems.
2. Receiving affection. You can’t pull away whenever he tries to kiss you or burst into a nervous fit of laughter whenever he talks about how much he loves you. You have to learn to become comfortable with affection, because you deserve it.
3. Experiencing lust. Even if he’s your forever person, you’re going to occasionally find other men attractive. When that happens, you have to be able to control your impulses. If you can’t, then you’re going to throw away a good thing for a meaningless fling.
4. Questioning the future. You can’t date someone if you’re constantly worried about him breaking your heart. Maybe he will. Maybe he won’t. There’s no way to tell. That’s the beauty of love. It’s unpredictable. You have to be able to handle the uncertainty of it all.
5. Loving yourself. You have to be able to take a compliment. You have to be able to accept the fact that he loves you. If you don’t believe anyone could love someone like you, then you’re going to end up pushing him away with your doubts.
6. Trusting someone. You can’t date, unless you can handle him coming home a few minutes late without freaking out. You have to let go of the baggage your cheating exes dumped onto you. You have to fully trust him. Otherwise, the relationship just won’t work.
7. Getting angry. You have to be able to handle your anger without tossing dishes and threatening to leave him. Relationships involve fights. You have to be capable of dealing with them with maturity.
8. Being social. When you date someone, you’re not just agreeing to spend time with them. You’re agreeing to spend time with their friends, parents, and grandparents. You have to be ready to socialize, because if you’re always turning down party invites, you’ll come across as a snob.
9. Being patient. Moving in after a month and getting married after three is usually a mistake. You don’t want to rush through your relationship. Let it develop naturally and don’t make any wild leaps.
10. Adulting. You have to be able to handle mature conversations about sex and weekly trips to the grocery store. You have to be ready to talk about how much money is in your bank account and how many kids you want. If you’re serious about him, you need to have some serious conversations.