1. They are not attracted to you. And how do you know this? They have definitely hinted or flat-out told you that you’re not their type. Chances are, this isn’t going to change.
2. You have absolutely nothing in common with them other than the fact you’re both of the same species.
3. You don’t like anything about them apart from the way they look. Nothing wrong with that, apart from you know, actually having to have a conversation with them once in a while.
4. Deep in your heart, you know that they are the shame-crush and you care way too much about what people will think if you pursue him or her.
5. You have polar opposite life goals. You’re certain that you want to travel to and/or live in at least 20 countries. They plan on living in the same city or town for the rest of their lives.
6. Your important values are mutually exclusive and neither of you plan on compromising on them. For example, if you believe in waiting till marriage to have sex and they believe sex is essential to a relationship, it’s probably not going to work.
7. They have a significant other who they’ve been telling you that they’re going to leave for you. Except they told you this two years ago and guess what? They’re still with them. (Maybe it’s time to practice some self-respect, yeah?)
8. You have heard them say that they do not date people of your race/religion/nationality, etc.
9. When you made it clear that you were interested, he or she made it clear that they’re just not looking for anything with anyone right now. The next day, you saw them getting really close with someone else, someone who is not you.
10. Your crush is avoiding you in an obvious way and all your friends are gently encouraging you to pursue all the other fish in the sea. (Probably because everyone with a pair of eyes can see they’re just not that into you.)
11. You will never have the courage to approach them and they’re not approaching you either. So I guess you’re both stuck in this purgatory of indecision and by the looks of it, you’re going to miss out on each other.