1. You’ve never understood people who can be cold and calculating. Indigo children are identified because they are born with more empathy than past generations. At times, they can feel like they’re a totally different species because unlike so many other people, they can’t compartmentalize their feelings enough to treat people badly for an extended period of time.
2. You feel more than other people. You cry when movies are sad and belly laugh when they are funny. Whatever emotion you are feeling in the current moment, you feel it fully. Indigo children have “advanced emotions.” They are so attuned to inner-self that every feeling that bubbles to the surface feels more potent than it does for others.
3. At times, you struggle with being a pushover. This same sensitivity to the feelings of others causes problems in situations where there may be conflict. While indigo children are independent, they also feel for everyone and don’t want to upset or disappoint others.
4. You struggled in school. While indigo children are highly intelligent, the way their mind works doesn’t conform to traditional ways of thinking. They don’t do well with rigid structure, because they don’t understand the need for it. Take an indigo child who is struggling in a traditional school into a less structured school and they will thrive. This is why it’s common to see indigo children who are voracious readers (curious and intelligent) but who have trouble reading what is assigned for their classes. For them to be successful, they have to be somewhat self-directed.
5. You’ve always had a strong desire to understand how things work. One of the main indicators of an indigo child is someone born with a much higher than normal sense of curiosity. Indigo children want to understand everything. They are the kids who can’t stop asking ‘why?’ While others will accept a trope answer, indigos want to dig below the surface until they truly understand the thing in question.
6. You’ve never been quite “normal.” Indigos often feel like outsiders growing up because their openness and empathy set them apart from how others feel, think, and act. Especially for children, this can be a hard time of learning how to trust your instincts.
7. You have a strong drive to find purpose in life. Indigo children are concerned with making life meaningful. Unlike people who are obsessed with career or financial success or thrill-seeking or even nihilism, the motivating force in an indigo’s life is that they have a sense of fulfilling their “purpose” in being born.
8. You’re drawn to spirituality, but not dogmatic about religion. Indigo children are incredibly open-minded. They love to hear about religions and spiritual practices of all kinds, but it’s very rare for one to adopt a rigid practice of their own. They prefer to mix and match from different traditions to suit their needs, never going so far down one path as to close the doors to the others.
9. You’re interested in paranormal topics. It’s natural that people as open-minded as indigo children would be interested in topics most people are closed to. They love learning about other explanations for the world around them, knowing how incomplete our current answers are.
10. You don’t inherently respect authority. Indigo children aren’t ones to be disrespectful, but they don’t respect a rule simply because it’s a rule. They want to understand why it’s a rule, and then, if it makes sense, the indigo child will respect it.
11. You’re more mature than most people your age. Indigo children often feel out of place when they are young because they are more independent, intelligent, and emotionally mature than other people their age. While this can cause problems early on, generally indigos figure out how to cope will always feeling a little bit like an outsider.
12. People have ever wondered if you have ADHD. Society is scared of people who are a little bit different, so we often try to give them a medical diagnosis to explain away their different way of being. Indigo children are commonly diagnosed with ADHD. It may be a correct diagnosis for some, but for others it may just be about our inability to accept new ways of thinking.
13. You are a gifted storyteller. Indigo children are known for their incredible imaginations. Whether it’s inventing a story to tell your a little kid or keeping people entertained while talking about your day, no one can tell a story quite like you.
14. You easily get scared by horror movies. This is the downside of the Indigo child’s highly developed imagination. If they see one scary movie, they may still remember it 10 years later when they’re in a dark and lonely setting.
15. You have a feeling you are ‘special’ in some way — but not in a narcissistic way. This isn’t to say you think highly of yourself or like you are going to be an important historical figure, just that you have a sense of duty and purpose in this life. You are here to make the world better, period.
16. You would rather be fulfilled than rich. Money means practically nothing to you past a certain point. Sure, you’d love to be rich, but if you have enough money to pay your bills and live comfortably, you aren’t the kind of person who NEEDS to have more than that. This is why indigo children often choose less lucrative, but more fulfilling careers in the arts or in professions that help others.
17. You have a creative outlet. Whether its music or painting, crafting or cooking indigo children are all extremely creative people. Throughout their lives they will always find a way to be creative in their job and home life, even if their explicitly creative pursuits never make them rich or famous.