1. During dates. He shouldn’t be staring at his lap, checking his phone, while you’re out having dinner. He should be present. He should be observant. He should be paying attention to you.
2. During sex. Just because you’ve gotten undressed doesn’t mean he has permission to touch you wherever he wants. If you ask him not to kiss your stomach or to keep your shirt on, he should respect that. Your body, your rules.
3. During arguments. I don’t care what you did. He shouldn’t resort to name-calling. Bitch, slut, and whore should be off the table. Completely unacceptable. Even when he’s fuming with rage.
4. During time apart. He shouldn’t sleep with another girl, just because you’re currently in another state. Long distance love doesn’t give him permission to cheat.
5. During boys’ nights. I don’t care what you’ve seen on sitcoms. It’s not okay for guys to get together and talk shit about their girlfriends. He shouldn’t be complaining about you. He should be bragging about you.
6. During web surfing. He shouldn’t leave inappropriate comments on other girls’ Instagram photos. He shouldn’t accept nudes from strangers on Snapchat. It doesn’t matter if he’s only flirting online. He’s still flirting.
7. During your period. He shouldn’t whine about how you won’t sleep with him for a week or complain about how moody you get during that time of the month. He should respect you and your hormonal mood swings.
8. During stressful moments. He shouldn’t take his anger out on you. You’re not his punching bag. You’re his support system. He should rely on you to help him through the pain — not to be an outlet for dealing with that pain.
9. During group outings. He shouldn’t act like Prince Charming when you’re one-on-one, and then turn into a totally different person the second his friends enter the picture. He should treat you right, regardless of who’s around to see it.
10. During conversations. Nodding his head isn’t enough. He should listen to what you have to say, respond to it, and make you feel like your words are worthwhile.
11. During parties. I don’t care if you’re a little tipsy or if you’re falling over drunk. He shouldn’t force up your skirt and have sex with you, or make fun of you for how sloppy you are. He should treat you with the same respect when he’s drunk as when he’s sober.
12. During… everything. The highs. The lows. When you get a promotion. When you lose your job. No matter what, he should show you respect. There’s no excuse for him treating you like trash, so don’t let him get away with it.