In preparation for my golden birthday on Nov. 27, I’m being That Girl and expounding my questionable knowledge upon you. Twenty seven years is a long time to live and learn – at least it feels like a long time – and so, without further blabbing, here are 27 of my favorite, super-easy beauty tips and tricks for even the laziest of us.
1. Drink water. Really. I notice a serious difference in my skin and energy when I’m slacking on my water intake.
2. Black mascara on the top lashes and brown on the bottom makes your eyes look more naturally alert and wide.
3. White liner drawn on the inner rims of your lower eyelid helps mask any redness.
4. Mascara can work as eyeliner if you’re without your favorite pencil or gel pot. (Where are you? Out in the woods?)
5. Keep your lipstick off your teeth by sliding your pointer finger in and out of your mouth. The excess should rub off on it.
6. A mix of raw organic honey and cinnamon is an easy, natural acne-killing mask. (My advice: Do this in the bathtub, because it’s messy.)
7. Lip gloss can be a beautiful highlighter in a pinch. Clear works the best, but nude or peach shades are OK too.
8. A little highlighter brushed on your “Cupid’s bow” makes your lips look prettier and fuller.
9. Cold water removes lipstick stains. Wash it off immediately.
10. Bought two lip colors blindly? Not thrilled with the way they look on you? Mix them together; it might be really flattering.
11. Blue-based lip colors (red, magenta, purple) will make your teeth look whiter.
12. A swipe of foundation on your lips pre-lipstick application can help your lipstick last longer.
13. So will blotting the color, reapplying it and dusting a bit of setting powder on top.
14. Before applying pencil liner, I like to warm it up in my mouth for a moment to make it more pliable. I just breathe on it for a few seconds.
15. Conditioner is a great shaving cream!
16. To combat any frizzies, use dryer sheets. Otherwise, spraying your brush or comb with hairspray can help settle them down.
17. Want to change up your hairstyle just for the night? It’s as easy as changing your part. Do a deep side-part for retro glamour or try a middle part for an easy, ‘70s-style look.
18. Run a little bit of shimmer powder or lotion down your shins to make your legs look longer and leaner. Victoria’s Secret Angels do this!
19. Drop a little Vitamin E oil in your bath for the smoothest skin. It can even help fade scars with repeated use.
20. Use a color-depositing conditioner close to your color to pump it up and make it look richer and brighter.
21. Dry shampoo doesn’t just mop up grease and freshen up your hair; it’s great to add volume to limp hair too.
22. Another easy mask you can whip up in your kitchen? Orange juice and baking soda make a brightening, gentle exfoliant.
23. Don’t shake your nail polish bottle before applying. Roll it between your palms for a smooth, bubble-free paint job.
24. If you REALLY need to set your makeup for the night, follow the drag community’s lead and lightly spritz your face with hairspray.
25. Do you spend a fortune coloring your hair a chestnut brown or bright red? Wash your hair in cold water; it will help keep the color from running down the drain.
26. Extending your blowout? Sleep in a soft scrunchie to avoid the kink of a ponytail band and keep your hair from ratting up as you sleep.
27. Coconut oil is the best body moisturizer, eye makeup remover and deep conditioner. (You can even use it as lube.) But it’s comedogenic, so it might break you out! I wouldn’t put it on your beautiful face.