25 Things You Should Know About Love
1. It is possible to love someone who doesn’t love you back. It’s not a full love, it doesn’t have a whole lot of depth, but it’s still there.
2. People always say that you have to love yourself before anyone else can love you but that’s not really true. You can be loved even if you hate yourself. It’s just not going to be healthy. It’s not going to be the best kind of love.
3. Falling in love is nature’s drug and you can OD on it.
4. Emotionally OD. Not, like, actual death. Ew.
5. It’s so painful to have loved someone once and then never again. Sometimes you’ll wish it never happened just so you didn’t know how good it felt.
6. Then you remember that quote “It’s better to have loved and lost than to have ever loved at all” and you’re like, “okay, fine.”
7. You will never love someone quite the same way you do the first time.
8. In most cases, this is a good thing. The first time is fucking insane.
9. It’s a beautiful moment when you realize you are someone who’s worth loving.
10. And it’s an even harder moment when you temporarily forget it.
11. Sex doesn’t always bring people closer. Sometimes it just exposes the weaknesses in the relationship.
12. That being said, a relationship can survive on good sex for a disturbing amount of time.
13. Someone you love will betray you. You can’t go through this life without it.
14. You can’t force yourself to love someone. If it’s not there, it’s not going to happen. Ever.
15. Everyone is an idiot when it comes to matters of the heart. Love is the great equalizer. Whenever you feel intimidated by someone’s coolness, just imagine them sobbing in their bedroom after someone broke their heart. I guarantee it’s happened.
16. Love doesn’t always feel like brain orgasms. Sometimes it feels the best when it’s at its most subtle, like when it’s 3 p.m. on a Sunday and you’re reading a book with your feet entangled with someone else’s on the couch. You look around you for a second and realize that you’ve never felt safer. Ironically, it’s the quieter moments that will leave the most indelible mark.
17. Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone wants to rely on someone. For a lot of people, it’s their Achilles heel. Love is the reason why they made most of their mistakes.
18. At its best, love can feel better than heroin. At its worst, it can feel like heroin withdrawal.
19. I’ve never done heroin though so this is purely speculation.
20. Finding love is the unconscious motivator for a lot of the things we do. It’s why we work out, it’s why we go to a bar on a Saturday night when we really don’t want to, it’s why we agree to meet strangers off the internet.
21. Don’t be embarrassed if you’ve never been in love before. You have a ton of company.
22. When you fall in love with someone, be prepared for the possibility that you might hate them one day.
23. You will always have that one ex who will stick in your mind. They’ll feel like a perpetual dull ache in your side.
24. Love will make you into the best and worst version of yourself, often in the same night.
25. Love is the reason why we’re all here. Well, most of us anyway.
You should follow Thought Catalog on Twitter here.
A | A | A
This video of a puppy watching a scene we’re so familiar with and evoking the same sentiments we once felt is oddly heartwarming, extremely precious and a dash of funny.
You died, and the hope that you would one day love us back the way we loved you died with you.
Weight Watchers likes to say that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Which I guess means they’ve never tasted Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Even when traveling alone, there will always be other travelers, or at least someone to talk to along the way.