Emotional Cutter Definition: Someone who inflicts mental or emotional harm on themself, usually because of a loved one or a potential loved one’s action or inaction. Other reasons may include uncertain friendships, jobs you’re trying to escape from, and any experience that causes you to have negative feelings that you’re reveling in.
Examples of emotional cutting: (1) Wanting to spend lots of time with someone who you are madly in love with even though you have been friendzoned. (2) Imagining a relationship with someone who doesn’t want you. (3) Social media stalking an ex who seems happier without you. (4) Social media stalking anyone who portrays a life that you think you want.
- You intentionally say or do things to remind yourself of the love you had or did not have in order to feel the painful but exhilarating feelings.
- You check a loved one’s or potential loved one’s social media accounts every day and read between the lines that every potential negative status is about you. Or worse, you deduce that no social media post is about you at all.
- You watch sad movies when you’re upset knowing full well you’re going to cry.
- You also play heartbreaking, sad songs perpetually when you’re already feeling down in the dumps.
….So let’s add to that playlist, shall we?
1. Adele – Someone Like You
There is nothing like not being able to get over someone and having this song be a constant reminder of the fact that you can’t get over someone. And so it goes, “Sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead….”
2. Whitney Houston – Where Do Broken Hearts Go?
You’re damn sure that whoever the source of your heartache is, definitely still cares. Aren’t we all? Well, while you’re eating that half-dozen box of Dunkin Donuts, ponder over where broken hearts go. We’re all right there with you.
3. Evanescence – My Immortal
Doesn’t matter what kind of mood you are in, My Immortal comes on and you are reminded that your scars are still fresh. So much for closure.
4. Sheryl Crow & Sting – Always On Your Side
You gave this person everything you could and somehow, it still didn’t work. But it’s not “Irreplaceable” by Beyoncé you want to hear right now. Bring on the sadness Sherryl & Sting…you can’t get enough.
5. Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah
“Love is not a victory march, it’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah.” Need I say more?
Yeah, this is getting more depressing by the moment so I’ll just go ahead and include the rest of the playlist without the extra salt. After you get through the playlist though, take the rest of the day off, buy another half-dozen box of Dunkin’ and maybe a pint of ice cream and head straight to the comfort of your couch and dust off your old DVD of A Walk To Remember. Adieu for now.
6. Nelly Furtado – All Good Things (Come To An End)
7. Paradise – Coldplay
8. Boys II Men – Water Runs Dry
9. Tank – I Can’t Make You Love Me
10. Taylor Swift – Tear Drops On My Guitar
11. The Script – Breakeven
12. R.E.M. – Everybody Hurts
13. Dixie Chicks – You Were Mine
14 Tracy Chapman – Cold Feet
15. Craig David – Don’t Love You No More
16. Bob Dylan – Blowin’ In The Wind
17. Phil Collins – Against All Odds
18. Destiny’s Child – Emotions
19. Brad Paisley & Alison Kraus – Whiskey Lullaby
20. The Beatles – Yesterday
21. Ingrid Michaelson – Keep Breathing. (Throwing in this one at the end because it’s kind of sad but also a good reminder that whatever the heartbreak is, remember: You’re still breathing.)