Small talk can be difficult, especially if you don’t know where to begin. When looking for a conversation opener, be sure to think through the setting of where you are; is it a professional event or a fun conversation through social media? Whatever the case may be, browse the list below to find awesome conversation starters for girls to use!
- Compliments: Everyone loves a good compliment. Whether you’re looking to flirt or just looking for a friend, compliments are a that lets someone warm up to you and feel confident in your .
- Shared Interests: A good conversation starter leads off with a question like, “What are your interests?” This is great because it allows you to get a peek into how they spend their time. Starting with conversation questions allow you to decide what follow-up questions to ask. For example, if they are into film-making, you can talk to them about their favorite movies or latest Netflix binges. Tailoring a conversation and asking specific questions about someone’s pastimes is a great way to get your conversation partner excited and keep the conversation flowing without awkward silence.
- Active Listening: Part of being a good conversation partner is being a good listener. Active listening lets the other person know you’re interested and thus feel heard and respected.
- Avoid Controversial Topics: Bad things to talk about when first meeting someone is controversial topics such as politics, religion, or sex. It depends on who you’re with and what event you’re at, but, in most situations, you should avoid bringing up these topics at first.
Networking is a great way to make connections within your career field. It’s awesome to spark deeper conversations about work at these events; essentially, what do they do and why do they want to do it? Asking a great question that guides the conversation in this way can provide you with great insight about certain companies and positions as well!
- What inspired you to pick this career path?
- Who has been your career role model?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What is the most rewarding project you have worked on?
- If you could change one thing about this industry, what would it be and why?
- What do the daily ins and outs of your position look like?
- What’s one of the best pieces of advice you’ve received from somebody in the field?
- What skills have you acquired while working at your company?
- What was your first job?
- What aspect of your job is the most difficult?
Social Happy Hour:
Happy hours or other social events with your company is a great way to get to know your co-workers and possibly make some friends. The conversation can relate to work, but you also might want to mix in some fun conversation starters or a personal question.
- How long have you worked here?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Did you grow up here? (Here is whichever city or town you work in)
- Have you seen any good Netflix shows lately?
- Is this your dream job? If not, what is?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- What is the best trip you have ever been on?
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve taken on this year at the company?
- How many emails have you been avoiding answering this week? (Definitely read the person before asking this one, but funny conversation starters like this are a fun way to spice up the night!)
A casual environment can mean anything from meeting someone at a book club to getting to know someone on a first date. Making meaningful conversation the first time you meet someone can be hard. Be sure to browse the lists below to find a conversation topic and mood that works for you!
Funny Conversation Starters for Girls:
- What weird conspiracy theory do you believe in?
- A fun question is asking if they have any hidden talents?
- Tell me the stupidest joke you’ve ever heard.
- Is a hot dog a sandwich?
- What is the weirdest thing you loved to eat as a kid?
- What’s the worst trend you’ve taken part in?
- What’s the tackiest thing you’ve ever worn in public?
- Tell me what your most ridiculous Halloween costume was.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you recently?
- What trashy TV show do you binge?
Deep Conversation Starters for Girls:
- Who is your biggest role model?
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to decide?
- What scares you most about the future?
- Tell me about some of the things listed on your bucket list.
- When are you the happiest?
- What is your biggest accomplishment so far in life?
- Who is the most influential person in your life?
- Who do you miss the most from your past?
- Do you think social media is destroying communication?
- What do you think the world will be like 20 years in the future?
First Date Conversation Starters for Girls:
These are bound to kick off some intimacy over the dinner table!
- What do you look for in a girl?
- What do you do for a living?
- Do you like to cook?
- Who’s your favorite singer or band?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- Where is the coolest place you’ve ever traveled to?
- Tell me something interesting about yourself that most people don’t know.
- If you had to pick an actor/actress to star as you in the movie of your life, who would it be? Why?
- If you could travel back in time, which decade would you live in and why?
- What’s your favorite movie?
Flirty Conversation Starters:
- What is the most attracts you most to a girl?
- Who is your girl celebrity crush?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What’s your favorite thing about me?
- What’s your favorite way to waste time?
- Has a pickup line ever led to actual intimacy for you? If so, what was the line?
- When’s the last time you went on a date?
Social Media Environment
When texting and getting to know someone new, it can be difficult to decide what you want to say. Luckily, when you’re sending a normal text message or some flirty texts, you have more time to think through what you want to say and how you want to say it to create an. Be sure to look over the list below to find a great conversation starter to use over social media!
Text Conversation Starters for Girls:
- Tell me about your day.
- What qualities do you look for in a woman?
- What are you up to?
- Have any fun plans for tomorrow?
- What’s your favorite restaurant, and when are we going?
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done in bed?
- Where is your favorite place to (whatever they enjoy doing, e.g., favorite place to run, favorite place to get sushi, etc.)
- What is the best and worst thing that’s happened to you today?