Finding ways to create an engaging conversation can be difficult no matter the event or circumstances. The list below is great for anything from a question to ask at a professional event or a flirty conversation topic for a first date! Be sure to browse the below to find a that suits you.
- Compliment Them: Using a compliment as a conversation starter is a great way to get someone to warm up to you. This allows someone to soften and feel more confident while talking to you!
- Find a Shared Interest: A great question to start with is, “What are your interests?” This is a because it allows you to gain insight into what they enjoy doing day-to-day and potentially find a that you both share. Whether or not you find common ground, this allows you to tailor follow-up questions to them and their hobbies. This is important because it’ll make the conversation flow easier without awkward silence and make your conversation feel excited and engaged.
- Listen: Part of being a good conversation partner is learning how to listen actively. Truly listening to what the other person has to say lets them know that you’re interested, thus making them feel heard and respected.
- Body Language: When talking to someone face-to-face, it’s important to display proper body language that lets the other person know that you are actively engaged in the conversation. Some of these cues are:
- Turn your body towards them and make eye contact.
- Nod or tilt your head to show you are reacting to what they are saying.
- Open your body by keeping your arms and legs uncrossed.
- Lean in to show them you are engaged and interested.
- Smile or use other facial expressions to show you are listening and reacting to what they’re saying.
- Avoid Controversial Topics: A majority of the time, it’s a good choice to avoid bringing up controversial topics such as politics, religion, or sex, the first time you meet them. A serious conversation can be beneficial in time but, when you are just introducing yourself, try to keep things light-hearted.
Networking allows you to connect with others who work within your career field, leading you to learn something new and discover new opportunities. When thinking of conversation starters for an event like this, it’s good to have questions centered around work but propel a deeper conversation or a meaningful conversation. Asking someone the can make you stand out and provide you with deeper insight into a particular company or position.
- What skills do you think are important to be successful in this field?
- Who is your career role model?
- Where do you see this field going in the future?
- What is the most rewarding project you have worked on?
- What are the biggest challenges facing this industry or your company?
- What inspired you to enter into this career field?
- What’s the culture like at your company?
- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- What does a day in your position look like?
- Based on your journey, what advice do you wish someone gave you earlier in your career?
Social Happy Hour:
Happy hours or other company social events are a great way to get to know some of your co-workers and potentially make new friends. Conversation starters about work make sense here, but you also might want to ask a fun or personal question, too, to get to know them better. Small talk can be difficult, so be sure to look over the list of questions below to help spark a great conversation!
- Which department do you work in?
- Do you have anything fun planned for the weekend?
- Did you grow up around here?
- Have you seen anything good on TV lately?
- What led you to this job?
- What are your favorite things to do outside of work?
- What kind of music do you like?
- How long have you worked here?
- What’s the you have had to navigate during your time at this job?
- Be sure to read the person before asking this one but, a funny conversation starter could be: How many emails have you avoided answering this week?
Talking to someone in a casual environment can mean so many things: making a new friend at the gym, talking to someone in the office, or getting to know someone on a first date. Whatever the case may be, browse the list below to find conversation questions or a conversation starter that works best for your setting and personality!
Funny Conversation Starters a Guy Can Use:
- What is the craziest thing you have ever eaten?
- Which movie never fails to make you laugh?
- What’s the worst pick-up line you have ever been told?
- What’s the worst gift you have ever received?
- What’s the weirdest thing you believed when you were a kid?
- What’s your spirit animal?
- What crazy conspiracy theory do you actively believe in?
- A is: Do you have any hidden talents? If so, ask them to show you!
- Have you ever played a prank on someone? If so, what was your best one?
- What’s the strangest nickname you’ve ever had?
Deep Conversation Starters a Guy Can Use:
- Can money buy you happiness?
- If you could only keep five possessions, what would they be and why?
- What’s your next step in life?
- What are the top three things on your bucket list?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- Which accomplishment are you the proudest of so far in life?
- Which loved one has impacted your life the most thus far?
- What is one thing you would change about our society if you could?
- Do you believe in karma? Why?
- Who is your biggest inspiration and role model?
First Date Conversation Starters a Guy Can Use:
- Ask a girl, what do you look for in a guy?
- What do you do for a living?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Who’s your favorite singer or band?
- What are your hobbies?
- Where is your favorite place on Earth, and why?
- Tell me something about yourself that most people don’t know about you.
- When is the last time you were in a romantic relationship? How long did it last?
- What is your dream job? Why?
- If you had to pick an actress to star as you in the movie of your life, who would it be and why?
Flirty Conversation Starters a Guy Can Use:
- Which quality attracts you most to a guy?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What’s your favorite thing about me?
- How do you like to waste time?
- When’s the last time you went on a date?
- Relationship expert Suzanne Casamento says that even a simple but boldly stated, “Hello,” is a great way to get someone’s attention, show them you’re interested and spark a .
Social Media Environment
Starting a conversation over text message or a social media platform like Facebook or Twitter can be difficult. However, the great thing about a text conversation is that you have more time to think through what you want to say and how you want to say it to spark an interesting conversation. Whether you’re looking to be flirty or get to know someone new, browse the list below to find a good conversation starter for you!
Text Conversation Starters a Guy Can Use:
- Tell me how your day went.
- What are you up to?
- Have any fun plans for tomorrow?
- What’s your favorite restaurant, and when are we going?
- What’s your favorite movie, and when are we watching it together?
- Where is your favorite place to (whatever they enjoy doing, e.g., favorite place to run, favorite place to get sushi, etc.)?
- What’s a that’s happened to you today and the that’s happened to you today?
- What does a perfect day look like to you?