Date: March 21-April 19; first sign of the zodiac
Ruling planet: Mars
Most compatible with: Libra, Leo, Gemini, Sagittarius
Least compatible with: Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn, Pisces
Cardinal zodiac signs: Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
Thursday May 6, 2021: Hold that thought! You know the one I mean. It's the one that inspired you to take a risk and what certainly appears to be a bold step in a new direction. It inspired you enough to invest the necessary effort to get your plan underway. So, this is no time to be nurturing doubts! Stop briefly to recall what fired you up in the first place. The heavens promise you're not pursuing a whim.
Latest Aries Articles
The Aries Symbol
- The Aries Native American zodiac symbol is a ram – the face and horns.
- Based on the constellation Aries, this is located somewhat in between the constellation Taurus and the constellation Pisces.
- Associated with the Babylonian times of agriculture and shepherding and also Greek mythology and the Golden Ram.
Rams symbolize determination, initiation, and leadership. They are a perfect representation of Aries because people who are born under this sign are natural leaders. They would much rather take charge of a situation than be given instructions. They prefer to be the ones setting the rules than obeying the rules. They are leaders, not followers.
Rams can also symbolize power, force, drive, and fearlessness. They are too adventurous to play it safe. They would rather live an exciting, passionate life than a mundane, predictable one. The reason Aries are so unafraid of taking risks is that they walk through life with blind optimism. They assume that they can handle anything thrown at them, and due to their impulsive nature, they don’t think far ahead and consider consequences. They would rather act spontaneously in the moment than plan out their future.
Aries Under the Planetary Ruler of Mars
- The planet “Mars” represents strength and bravery which makes sense, because as a cardinal sign, Aries are ambitious leaders.
- Although the planet Mars is known as the God of War, that doesn’t necessarily mean that those who have Mars as their ruling planet are angry or violent. If anything, you have a fire-like personality and use your words as a weapon. The only fighting an Aries zodiac does is fighting for what you believe in.
- All the planets can go into retrograde (when it appears a planet is moving backwards), but Mars retrograde is the second rarest. So what does this mean for an Aries sun sign? While normally they’re bold and impulsive and doing things on a whim, in retrograde, they might feel more stuck and frustrated with everything.
Aries are assertive. They speak their minds instead of holding their tongue. They aren’t going to sit quietly when someone treats them poorly, and due to their protective nature, they aren’t going to keep quiet when someone else is getting treated unfairly, either. Although their temper fizzles out quickly, Aries are stubborn, persistent, and confident in their opinions. It’s never a good idea to butt heads with them when they are upset, because they won’t back down from an argument.
However, when Mars is in retrograde, conflicts aren’t going to be productive. Instead of getting into heated debates, it’s better for Aries to be introspective and reflective. Unfortunately, during retrograde, Aries will feel more uncertainty than they’re used to experiencing. Their desire can drop, and they can lose momentum on important projects. They might feel like they have become stagnant and get restless. This is a frustrating, challenging time for the sign.
There’s also something to be said about the Aries constellation and what is known as “sidereal astrology.” While fixed astrology is the map of the stars dating back 0 AD, sidereal astrology is the current position of the constellations in the sky. So as a fixed zodiac, the dates for an Aries is March 21-April 19, and as a sidereal zodiac, the dates are April 21th-May 12th. These date changes evidently push every zodiac sign forward a bit.
Aries and the Fire Element
- As a fire sign, an Aries lover will be very passionate and enthusiastic about all things. An Aries star sign (or sun sign) often appear to be larger than life and want to go wild and meet everyone and do everything, which doesn’t correlate well with water elements, who are more chill and keep to themselves. Talk about a sun sign taking on a hot energy!
- In Tarot, there are 2 cards that represent Aries — Suit of Wands (wands = rods, shepherding) and The Emperor (wise, leader). If you receive the Suit of Wands in a tarot reading or horoscope, know that the element of fire is coming forward and representing passion and wild transformations.
Aries are passionate, fiery, and enthusiastic. They pour their whole heart and soul into whatever they set out to accomplish. They have a zest for life and their enthusiasm can be inspiring. However, because they are always on the lookout for the next great adventure, they hate doing mundane, repetitive chores. They feel restless when life becomes too predictable.
Aries, like all fire elements, rely on their gut instincts. They are always confident they will make the right decision, even if they don’t entirely think those decisions through before taking action. While they are spontaneous and impulsive, they are also self-sufficient. They can take care of themselves and feel like they always know best. This is why they often clash with water elements that make them feel claustrophobic and tied down. They are independent and wish to remain that way.
Strengths of an Aries
Weaknesses of an Aries
Aries Personality Traits
Here’s how you would describe an Aries personality:
- Have amazing self-confidence
- Take initiative / leaders / thrive in a position of power
- You go out and make your own luck
Aries don’t believe in good or bad timing. If there’s something they want, then they aren’t going to remain patient and wait for the right moment to strike. They are going to chase after what they want without hesitation. They are unafraid of taking risks, leaving their comfort zones, or making the first move. They have the confidence to follow through on any bright ideas that pop into their head. They never hold themselves back due to fear of the unknown. In fact, they thrive on unpredictability. They make their own luck and create their own opportunities.
The downside to their go-getter, take-charge personality is that they have trouble with authority. When they aren’t in a position of power, they feel confined. They don’t like being told what to do and can react aggressively when someone gives them orders. This can cause trouble in both their workspaces and romantic relationships. Aries also cannot stand inactivity. They get bored easily, so their passion often flicks from activity to activity, or person to person. They aren’t able to stay in one place, or mindset, for long.
If Your Moon Sign is in Aries…
In astrology, your moon sign represents your emotions, feelings, how you deal with them, and how or if you express them. So what does that mean for an Aries zodiac?
- Bold, enthusiastic, but also reckless and impulsive
- If you hurt them or do something that rubs them the wrong way, they’ll let you know–they’re not afraid to tell you the brutal truth.
- If your moon sign is in Aries, you have a fire in your heart and you feel things very intensely. Because of this, you won’t linger in a negative mood.
Although Aries commonly pretend nothing can hurt them, they are one of the most emotional zodiac signs. They feel the excitement, sadness, anger, and every other emotion with extreme intensity. That is why it’s difficult for them to remain calm when they have been wronged. An Aries isn’t going to give you subtle hints when they’re upset. They’re unafraid of confrontation, so they are going to approach you and outline exactly what you’ve done face-to-face. This is why they’ve earned a reputation as hot-heads.
Luckily, the intense anger that an Aries feels when something doesn’t go their way will not last for long. They rarely hold grudges because they are distracted easily. Their emotions can change in an instant, which is why they are frequently labeled as moody. They can be furious one moment and then filled with laughter the next. Their flares of anger are only temporary, but while they last, they are fierce.
If Your Rising Sign is in Aries…
In astrology, your rising sign is how people perceive you when you first meet them.
So if your ascendent/rising sign is in Aries people will see you are:
- bold and impulsive and doing things without proper planning
It’s when they get to know you that although you like your independence, you have an attachment to people who mean the most to you.
At first, Aries tend to rub others the wrong way with their straightforward attitude. They are blunt about how they feel and what they want, because they don’t see the benefit in beating around the bush. Unfortunately, not everyone appreciates how direct they are, so it is often difficult for them to collaborate with others. Plus, since they are independent and highly competitive, they prefer to work solo. They would rather be busy than bored, so they are hyper-focused on their goals.
Although Aries can come across as intimidating at first, once someone gets to know them, their soft side appears. Aries are not nearly as cold as some people assume. They are actually rather sentimental and selfless. They are much harder on themselves than they are on anyone surrounding them. Aries are also self-sacrificing. They will do anything for the people they love. They will make sure their family and friends are protected, no matter the cost.
If Your Venus Sign is in Aries…
In Roman mythology, it was known that Venus, the goddess of love, and Mars, the god of war, were lovers. So if your Venus sign is in Aries, you’re destined for passionate and exciting love.
In astrology, you have a Venus sign, which represents all things love and passion. For this sign in Aries, you are protective, bold, and know what you want and aren’t afraid to go after it. You’re fierce, radiant, and have beautiful charisma about you, especially when it comes to love and dating. On the more negative side, you can tend to be a bit overbearing and refuse to slow down every once in a while, because you just love constant excitement in your life!
- Doesn’t like playing by the rules of others.
- In love, he likes the chase. He wants to be a knight in shining armor and is always up for a good challenge.
- personality in love: passionate and adventurous.
Aries men are excited by the chase. They love the challenge of trying to get the attention of someone special. Even more than that, they love the sense of accomplishment when they achieve their goals. However, at the same time, they aren’t fans of mixed messages. They are blunt about what they want and expect their partners to be just as transparent.
When they’re in a serious relationship, Aries men don’t behave much differently than when they’re single. They are still flirtatious and still adventurous. They won’t want to spend every weekend cuddling in bed. They would much rather engage in something active like hiking or biking. They will lose interest in the relationship rather quickly if it becomes too repetitive and their life starts to feel stale. They need to be kept on their toes.
- Fearless leaders.
- Love adventures or a challenge.
- In love, she is very passionate and sexual.
- She’ll want to be dominant in every aspect, especially in her love life.
Aries women aren’t afraid to make the first move. They are impulsive, which means they go after what they want without stopping to consider whether they will get their heart broken. They are also fearless, so the idea of rejection doesn’t scare them into acting timid like it might for other zodiac signs. In fact, Aries women love a good challenge. They don’t want anything to come too easy for them. They would rather fight for what they want.
Aries women play a dominant role in their careers, their friendships, their relationships — and their love life. They want to be the ones in control at all times. They aren’t going to act submissive and allow their partners to take the lead. They want to feel like they are the boss in every situation. Although they are stubborn and always want to have things their way, they are just as passionate inside of the bedroom as they are outside of the bedroom.
If your child or baby is an Aries (born March 21-April 19), there are some things you should know about them:
- This is a masculine sign, and so many of them tend to favor their fathers.
- They’re energetic, eager, and quick — you’ll have to keep an eye on them when they first learn to walk! Be sure to childproof the house, too.
- Get ready to stay busy and always be giving them attention!
7 Things to Know About the Aries Zodiac Sign or an Aries Person
- Aries are attention seekers!
- An Aries sign will tell it like it is — they aren’t afraid to speak the truth and speak their mind! They are naturally open people.
- They have little to no patience for things or people that don’t suit them or make their life better.
- Although this zodiac sign can tend to get aggressive, they also know when to pick their battles.
- Unless you want to see the wrath of this sign, don’t tell them to “relax” or “keep calm.”
- An Aries sign tends to be physically active, fit, and good at sports. This makes sense because they are represented by the god of war, after all!
- If you have Aries in Jupiter in your zodiac chart, you typically come on strong and confident and will go after the things you want most in life. You will always reach for the stars!
Aries and The Vernal Equinox
There’s a thing known as a vernal equinox, which is when the plane of Earth’s equator passes through the center of the sun. This happens twice a year and at the beginning of 2020, a new astrological year began with an Aries equinox. This occurred on March 21, when the celestial longitude reached a position known as the “first point of Aries.”
On April 7 2020, there was a full moon in Aries that represented the lunar peak of Aries season. This illuminated partnerships and their strengths and weaknesses, in love, business, and friendship, and if there was a need for balance or a way to fix the things that were out of whack.