1. Had a student ask why did this triangle have 4 sides. Had to explain that it was a rectangle.
2. High school English teacher here.
“What do you mean I can’t copy and paste my essay from the internet?”
3. Student asked how to spell DNA… Not the full word Deoxyribonucleic acid, no.. The abbreviation DNA.
He wasn’t trolling or anything, he’s just never passed a test.
4. High school Earth Science – “Where do clouds go at night?”
5. The first Prime Ministers of Canada is John A. Macdonald. In high school a girl in my history class asked me if he was the same person who created McDonalds.
6. It’s never really the question itself, I typically feel like if a kid is asking a “dumb” question that’s more on me for not explaining something well enough.
That said this type of interaction always gets me going.
“Any questions?” -Me
“When is the test?”- Kid 1
“sigh Well as you can see on the schedule and as I have mentioned every day, the test is on Thursday.”-Me
“Any more questions?”-Me
“Yeah, when are we having a test on this?”-Kid 2
Swear this shit happens weekly.
7. Actual teacher here.
15 year old : “Is Russia part of China?”
17 year old : “Do the trains run when it’s raining?”
14 year old : “Is a second the same as one second?”
16 year old : “What are odd & even numbers?”
8. Wasn’t JKF an astronaut?
9. When I was in high school, during a sex-ed session that was actually really informative and comprehensive, one of the topics was how oral sex can give you STDs, something quite a few of the students didn’t seem to understand.
But my favorite question was from one of the girls to my left: “But what if you drink bleach?”
10. Was teaching a 101 lvl college freshman survey course.
Told the students i was born in Alaska and a girl from the midwest asked me if it was hard to learn english so I could teach college.
11. Oh my god, I worked as a teacher aide for a year (to supervise this little shit of a student) and a girl in the class, 9 or 10, asked me “Bears aren’t real, right?” She thought bears were in the realm of unicorns because they’re in fairy tales like Little Red Riding-hood. I pretty much couldn’t make her believe me, I even looked up a bear in a book and showed her. She thought it was an elaborate prank.
12. Had a 10th grader say “Rosetta Stone? Isn’t that the black lady on the back of the bus?”
13. “…and that, students, is the definition of climax in a story.”
*Suzzie raises hand*
“Mr. T, it’s just like that Usher song! Is this what it’s about!?”
*mature student speaks up*
“I think that’s a different type of climax.”
14. “Why is nothing coming up when I google ‘real pictures of angels’? All I’m getting is drawings!” I didn’t even know what to say that wouldn’t be insensitive so I just said, “How about you find… a nice drawing, okay?”
no such a thing as a dumb question.