1. I promise to genuinely try to understand your point of view when we disagree, before counteracting it with my own.
2. I promise to not keep score in our relationship, no matter how badly one of us screws up.
3. I promise to keep striving to be a better version of myself every day, no matter how happy I am in our relationship.
4. I promise to always know your coffee order, and exactly how it changes with the seasons.
5. I promise to forgive you for the times when you are not yourself and it affects the way we interact with each other.
6. I promise to remind you that I love you, even on the days when I don’t like you.
7. I promise to be honest about what’s not working for me in this relationship, even when it’s uncomfortable to bring up.
8. I promise to never make you guess at my feelings, even if it means giving up a bit of control.
9. I promise to make a genuine effort with your friends and family, no matter how different we are from one another.
10. I promise to be open to and inspired by our differences, rather than solely frustrated by them.
11. I promise not to hold onto bitterness or resentment after agreeing to make a compromise for the sake of our relationship.
12. I promise to be big enough to admit when I’m wrong.
13. I promise to like a solid 80% of what you post on social media, even if most of it is selfies.
14. I promise not to judge you on the choices you have made in the past, even if they still affect your present.
15. I promise to understand your needs and how they differ from my own, so that I can love you in the ways that don’t come naturally to me.
16. I promise to consciously, deliberately choose you when temptation comes my way.
17. I promise to talk openly with you about boundaries and lines so that we don’t venture into grey areas that hurt each other.
18. I promise to kiss you even you have bad breath sometimes.
19. I promise to respect that you will sometimes have projects or commitments that you have to put ahead of our relationship.
20. I promise to maintain my own set of projects and commitments that allow me to thrive outside of our relationship.
21. I promise to agree on that stupid movie that you want to watch, at least 50% of the time.
22. I promise to take an interest in the activities you enjoy, even if they terrify or bore me.
23. I promise to constantly think of new ways to make you happy, no matter how long we have been together and how comfortable we become.
24. I promise not to take you for granted when I’m lost or reeling and you are the person I lean on.
25. I promise to let you lean on me during the times when you are not at your best.
26. I promise to laugh at all the horrible dad jokes your dad makes, even if you just roll your eyes.
27. I promise to keep most of the embarrassing secrets that I know about you, even if I’m drunk and they would make a good story.
28. I promise to stay late at boring work events with you when you are trying to impress your boss and colleagues.
29. I promise not to resent you during the times when you are personally or professionally thriving and I am not.
30. I promise to be compassionate during the times when I am personally or professionally thriving and you are not.
31. I promise to listen to you tell the same story at least 4-7 times before I gently remind you that if you tell me one more time I’ll go mad.
32. I promise to pretend to like most of what you cook, unless you try to make something that is genuinely disgusting a regular meal.
33. I promise to push you to be a better version of yourself during the times when you’re not realizing your potential.
34. I promise to accept that you will push me when I am not reaching my own potential.
35. I promise to fight fair with you and to not make a difference of opinion into a personal attack.
36. I promise to accept that we will both inevitably screw up and need to be the biggest, hugest versions of ourselves to get past it.
37. I promise to occasionally splurge on something impractical purely because it will make you happy.
38. I promise to let you grow in any way you want or need to.
39. I promise to make time for you when too many things are simultaneously demanding my attention.
40. I promise to always be on your team when the world is riling against you.
41. I promise not to push you off my own team when I’m scared or stressed out and my natural impulse is to retreat.
42. I promise to let your body change in any way it might and to love you just the same in any form.
43. I promise to never stop poking fun of you, or at us, or at myself because it we cannot laugh with each other we are doomed.
44. I promise to make the active decision to trust you, every day for as long as I have you.
45. I promise to never stop appreciating the pure, adulterated awesomeness of the fact that I get to see your naked body on a regular basis.
46. I promise to appreciate the skills you bring to the relationship that I completely and utterly lack.
47. I promise to always be proud of you, even when you are not necessarily proud of yourself.
48. I promise to find a new reason every day to fall even more in love with you.
49. I promise to never stop trying to win you over, no matter how many months or years or lifetimes we spend together.
50. I promise to always love you in a way that makes you feel free.