1. Moisturize. Always.
2. Know, when you walk into a room, that you deserve to be there. No one is doing you a favor by letting you hang out, and whether it’s at the office, on a date, or out with friends, you should never feel (or act) like the charity case.
3. Wear things that look good, but which you feel comfortable in. If you can’t walk in heels, you’ll always look better in flats.
4. When it comes to makeup, think in terms of “grooming/enhancing” and not “covering/changing.” We all have qualities that we can be playing up, and focusing on the basics (good skin, nice brows, lightly enhanced eyes/lips) just makes us a better version of ourselves (instead of someone else entirely).
5. Nice nail polish, or no nail polish at all.
6. When it comes to confidence, fake it til you make it. It is actual science that making yourself smile makes you happier, and it’s the same with confidence. Say a few affirmations in your mirror, walk like you’re worth a million bucks, and you’ll feel it. And it will radiate off of you.
7. Buy something because it makes you feel like you look great. Even if you’re a little overdressed, who cares? You deserve to look, and more importantly feel, pretty. (The day I can’t wear a gorgeous vintage dress to go to the grocery store is the day I don’t want to be on this planet anymore.)
8. Take care of your body, but also treat it, because it does so much for you. Have a big, healthy salad at lunch, but enjoy the hell out of that slice of pizza for dinner.
9. Laugh when it’s really funny, and laugh as much as you want.
10. Smile big for pictures.
11. Really take the time to say “thank you” when someone does something for you. Pretty Girls might take people’s kindness for granted — because they’re super hot, and everyone wants to help them — but Beautiful Girls take the time to make people feel appreciated.
12. Never apologize for taking the time to work out, or the money on a facial or whatever, because you and your health and wellness deserve these things.
13. Go with what life hands you: When life gives you bad skin (raises hand!), take extra good care when you exfoliate and moisturize, and have the most cared-for face on the block. If you have premature greys, go all silver and rock that like the hot female Anderson Cooper you are. If you are curvy, find the cinch-waist dresses that make you look like a bombshell and swish your way through this life.
14. Wear what makes you feel and look good, not what’s in fashion.
15. Take long, luxurious baths or showers where you go through every treatment — even the crazy DIY hair masks you found on Pinterest.
16. Appreciate yourself in the mirror. Admire yourself. Compliment yourself.
17. When someone compliments you, don’t be afraid of accepting it with grace. It doesn’t mean you’re conceited, it means you love yourself.
18. Indulge your hyper-girly side, and don’t feel like you’re weak or immature for doing it. Pink can be your power color.
19. Take a long time to get ready for special things. Luxuriate in the ritual and the pleasure of pampering yourself and making yourself even more beautiful.
20. When you work hard, reward yourself with gifts, like you would anyone else that you loved.
21. Moisturize. Always.