“I love you.” Eight letters, three words, a million meanings. The word love gets thrown around so often; people say it when they don’t mean it. They use it to describe things they in no way actually love, they get it mixed up with feelings of infatuation or they just say it because the person they’re conversing with says it first.
Love should not be a limited feeling, but being in love with someone should be a special thing and it should have a special meaning.
Love shouldn’t only be what you say at the end of a phone call because it’s routine. Love shouldn’t be constantly embedded in a text. Love shouldn’t just buy you presents because you want them. Love shouldn’t just be words; it should be actions.
Love should be showing up. Love should be:
1. Starting your car for you in the cold.
2. Sleeping next to you at night.
3. Helping you carry groceries in.
4. Sharing your phone charger when theirs is broke.
5. Taking care of you when you’re sick.
6. Holding your hand in the car.
7. Singing off key with you.
8. Leaving random love notes.
9. Encouraging you to be the best you can be.
10. Supporting your hobbies.
11. Surprising you.
12. Eating breakfast with you in the morning.
13. Reminding you of your parent’s birthdays.
14. Bringing you coffee to work.
15. Picking up movies to watch together at night.
16. Staying in on a weekend when you’re sick.
17. Attending events you don’t want to actually be at but doing it for the other person.
18. Listening to you.
19. Letting you pick dinner.
20. Remembering the little things.
21. Not acting different, regardless of who’s around.
22. Helping you through problems.
23. Giving you advice.
24. Carrying your extra bags.
25. The first voice you hear in the morning.
26. And the last voice you hear at night.
27. Making you smile.
28. Making you feel safe.
29. Wiping your tears.
30. Holding you in their arms.
31. Opening the car door for you.
32. Keeping little mementos of things you’ve done.
33. Finding beauty in the small things.
34. Stroking your fingers while holding your hand.
35. Kissing your forehead.
36. Having patience.
37. Wrapping their arms around your waist.
38. Dancing with you.
39. Treating your friends like family.
40. Being optimistic through hard times.
41. Having a positive mindset.
42. Showing generosity.
43. Speaking kindly to you.
44. Being gentle with you.
45. Cuddling with you on the couch.
46. Never giving up on you when things get tough.
47. Standing up for you.
48. Showing how much you love them, instead of only saying it.
49. Believing in you.
50. Laughing at your jokes.
51. Never taking you for granted.
52. Inspiring your dreams.
53. Forgiving you.
54. Holding the door open.
55. Pushing in your chair.
56. Comforting you.
57. Willing to take risks.
58. Being faithful to you.
59. Loving you at your best.
60. And loving you at your worst.