1. The filling in a Kit Kat is broken up Kit Kats.
2. In Switzerland, it’s illegal to own just one guinea pig; if you have any, you have to have at least two. They get lonely!
3. From the time Pluto was discovered until the time it was demoted from planethood, it still hadn’t made one complete revolution around the sun.
4. Dogs can tell when you’re coming home by how much of your scent is left in the house if you have a daily routine.
5. Bunnies can’t move their legs independently, which is why they can’t walk, only hop.
6. Giraffe tongues are black.
7. The name for the Arctic comes from the ancient Greek word for bear – arktos. Named after one of the constellations Ursa Major (Big Bear) or Ursa Minor (Little Bear), but there are bears living there too. So basically, the Arctic is called ‘Bear’, and the Antarctic is called ‘Not Bear.’
8. Otters have skin pockets for their favorite rocks.
9. Chocolate was once used as currency (by the Aztecs).
10. Male seahorses carry the baby in their tummy instead of the mommy.
11. Some frogs will glow when they eat fireflies.
12. The surface of Mars is covered in rust, making the planet appear red.
13. Cashews come from a fruit.
14. Hippopotamus milk is pink.
15. Rainbows are circles.
16. The red food-coloring (carmine) that’s used in a lot of candy is made up of a kind of beetle.
17. There are more stars than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world.
18. Some fish cough.
19. Most elephants weigh less than a blue whale’s tongue!
20. Horses have roughly a 350 degree field of vision around them with one of their two blind spots being in the front. Horses can’t see directly ahead for up to about four feet.
21. Cows can walk up stairs, but they can’t walk down.
22. Sea otters hold hands when they sleep.
23. The little jump guinea pigs do when they’re happy is called popcorning.
24. Some species of burrowing spiders keep teeny tiny frogs in their burrows to keep it free of bugs too small for the spider to get that might try to eat the spider’s eggs.
25. At birth, a baby panda is smaller than a mouse.
26. Apples float but pears sink. Apples float because they are 25% air.
27. The color red doesn’t make bulls angry; they are colorblind.
28. Pineapples used to be so expensive that people would rent them as a centerpiece for their party.
29. When a cat walks towards you with its tail up that means it likes you and is excited to see you.
30. Horses can’t vomit.
31. Pineapples are a collection of berries.
32. Pufferfish are full of water… not air.
33. A Siamese cat’s fur color is dependent on its body temperature. That’s why the colder areas of the body such as the nose, paws, and tail are darker than the rest.
34. Kangaroos can’t walk backwards.
35. Horses are more closely related to rhinos than to deer.
36. The distance from your inner elbow to your wrist is the same as the length of your foot. This one is fun because it sounds insane (the forearm looks longer), but if you put your foot to your arm you see that’s it’s accurate.
37. Butterflies smell with their feet.
38. A lot of the TV or internet videos you watch come from undersea cables.
39. There’s a D is Fridge but not in Refrigerator.
40. Aluminum used to be such a precious metal, and so expensive, that the top point of the Washington Monument is made of pure aluminum. At the time of construction, that aluminum would be about like capping it with platinum today.
41. A day on Venus takes longer to complete Than a year on Venus. How? It simply takes longer for Venus to do one complete rotation around its own axis than it does for the planet to rotate around the sun.
42. A platypus lays eggs, and has milk, making it the only mammal that could in theory make its own custard.
43. Lobsters were considered disgusting and low-class food, to the point that feeding them to prisoners too often was considered cruel and unusual punishment.
44. Making pennies cost more than their actual value.
45. Humans are bioluminescent and glow in the dark, but the light that we emit is 1,000 times weaker than our human eyes are able to pick up.
46. Birds poo and pee from the same hole at the same time.
47. A group of elephants is a parade, a group of owls is a parliament, a group of wild cats is called a destruction.
48. A polar bear’s skin is black.
49. It takes a little over 8 minutes for the light from the Sun to get to earth.
50. Wombat poop is cube-shaped.
51. Today’s bananas don’t really taste like the bananas from the 60s. Artificial banana flavor tastes weird to us because it’s based on the Gros Michel banana.
52. If you heat up a magnet, it loses its magnetism.
53. Parrot fish are responsible for most of the sand in the world. They eat coral looking for the good stuff and spit out the chewed up pieces which happens to now be sand.
54. The elephant is the only mammal that can’t jump.
55. Rabbits usually sleep during the day, but they often sleep with their eyes open so you can’t tell.
56. Violin bows are usually made from horse hair.
57. There was more time between the Stegosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex than between Tyrannosaurus rex and humans.
58. There’s an island in Japan populated only by fluffy bunnies!
59. The speed needed to break the sound barrier is lowest at sea level due to air density.
60. Scotland’s national animal is a unicorn.