1. Don’t feel bad for turning down the super sweet, but plain-looking guy that asks you out. Wait for the guy who makes you feel fireworks. Wait for the guy who gives you butterflies. Wait for the guy who can turn you on with just a look. It’s not shallow or selfish to wait for what you want.
2. When you get a new job, brag about it on Facebook. When you dress up for an event, post a picture on Instagram. There’s nothing wrong with wanting validation.
3. You don’t owe anyone anything, even if they’ve been in your life since you were children. Even if you have a ton of history. If someone is bad for you, cut them out of your life. It’s not selfish. It’s healthy.
4. Guess what? It’s okay to use up your vacation time. You’re not a bad worker for taking off one week to de-stress. Enjoy your time off without letting the guilt get to you.
5. Don’t hesitate to pamper yourself. If you want a new pair of boots or a new makeup palette, then splurge on it. You make money to spend money.
6. Even though your friends usually come to you with their problems, it’s okay to go to them with your problems. Go on, make the conversation about you. It’s okay to talk about yourself.
7. Don’t choose your career based off of what your partner or parents want. Sure, becoming a doctor would make your family proud and it would do a whole lot of good for the world. But it’s always better to follow your passion. It’s not selfish to choose happiness.
8. Even if you really like someone, it’s okay to tell them you’re not looking for a relationship right now. Relationships require work. Effort. Time. If you’re too busy, then it’s okay to put love on hold and focus on yourself.
9. Stop giving a damn about what other people think of you. It might sound selfish, but the only opinion that matters is your opinion. If you remember that, then all of your insecurities should fade away.
10. You don’t have to buy your best friend a $100 birthday gift to show her you love her. If you need that money to pay the rent, she’ll understand.
11. Don’t let anyone make you feel like a lazy bum for sleeping in. If you have the time, then get the rest. You should be getting eight hours per night, anyway.
12. If you can snag that perfect parking spot, go for it. If you want that last piece of cake, grab it. It’s okay to take what you want, as long as you’re not hurting anyone else.
13. Don’t be afraid to turn off your electronics and engage in “me” time. Shut off the outside world to focus on your inner self. It’ll keep you sane.
14. It’s okay to say, “no.” If you want to stay in and watch Netflix instead of going out with your friends, you don’t need an excuse. If you don’t want to go, you don’t have to go. It’s as simple as that.
15. When you have sex, expect to enjoy it. Expect oral. Expect to orgasm. Sex shouldn’t be all about your partner. You deserve pleasure, too.
16. You don’t have to offer to buy your partner dinner. If you’re low on cash, then just split the bill. It’s not rude. If you’re broke, it’s necessary.
17. If someone is pissing you off and ruining your day, you don’t have to text them back. You don’t have to continue the argument. You can just forget about them.
18. If you’re trying to take better care of your body, don’t feel bad for ruining your friend’s fun and telling them you won’t be eating the pizza they order. If they really love you, they won’t mind ordering a side salad for you.
19. You’re not selfish for rejecting the idea of marriage or children. If anything, it’s the opposite of selfish. You’re refusing to bring a child into this world when you know you wouldn’t be able to (or willing to) take care of it.
20. It’s okay to move away from home. It’s okay to start your new, adult life. Don’t feel like you’re abandoning your parents or your pets. You have to do what you have to do.