1. Pikachu and Meowth’s number in the Pokedex are flipped.
2. The animators thought Brock was racist, so they replaced him with Tracey for the Orange Islands season.
Here’s the long-ass transcript from animator Masamitsu Hidaka.
The translator began to explain that the Japanese crew felt that Brock might be viewed as racist by the American people because of his eyes, and that they were even fearful of it when Pokemon first came to America.
3. Wobbuffet is the only fully evolved Pokemon that can’t learn any TMs.
4. Latias and Latios were the first legendary Pokemon to have set genders in game.
5. Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres all end in Spanish numbers: Uno, Dos, and Tres.
6. There has never been a bug-type Pokemon that can learn Fly or Surf.
I can’t imagine Caterpie surfing either.
7. Giovanni is the only underworld criminal boss not to endanger a legendary pokemon.
8. Many people believed Marill would be named “Pikablu”.
Those of you that did, you guys were fucking wrong.
9. Porygon’s first and last time on the TV show was on “Electric Soldier Porygon”.
This episode was claimed to be dangerous for health. 20 minutes into the episode, there is a scene in which Pikachu stops some vaccine missiles with its Thunderbolt attack, resulting in a huge explosion that flashes red and blue lights. Although there were similar parts in the episode with red and blue flashes, an anime technique called “paka paka” made this scene extremely intense, for these flashes were extremely bright strobe lights, with blinks at a rate of about 12 Hz for about 4 seconds in almost fullscreen, and then for 2 seconds outright fullscreen. – (Source)
>> DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE EPILEPTIC.<<
10. 4Kids Entertainment removed an episode because James had inflatable boobs.
11. 4Kids Entertainment also removed “The Ice Cave!” because Jynx resembled blackface.
Some people believed Jynx was a racial stereotype of Africans because of its big pink lips and pure black skin, or that it looked like a blackface actress. Jynx was later re-edited and given purple skin instead in later episodes. – (Source)
12. Grass and Rock have the most weaknesses, at 5.
Grass types are weak against: Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice, and Poison.
Rock types are weak against: Fight, Grass, Ground, Steel, and Water.
But a Grass/Rock type is only weak to Ice, Poison and Steel. What gives?
13. If you attempt to import Missingno into Pokemon Stadium, it comes out as a substitute doll.
That’s pretty weird.
14. Ditto can’t copy another Ditto that already transformed into another Pokemon.
You can probably attempt this on the off-chance you fight someone with a Ditto in their party and you guys are fighting with two Pokemon out.
15. If you offered your Pikachu potion after potion, you can get him to be happy.
You can do it over and over again, even if he refuses.
16. In Red/Blue, encountering a Missingno. meant you’d get 255 items in your 6th item slot.
This is how you’d find one:
Travel to VIRIDIAN CITY, then travel up through it until you see an old man pacing backwards and forwards from left to right [the one who would not let you pass through at the beginning of your game]. So you know it is the right person, he will say that he has just had a coffee and he feels great …..
He will then ask you if you are in a hurry. First of all, say yes. Then talk to him again but this time say no, you are not in a hurry. He will then show you how to catch a Pokémon [WEEDLE]. Afterwards talk to him one more time and tell him that you are not in a hurry.
Then fly to CINNABAR ISLAND. Travel to the right side of the island and use a WATER Pokémon that has learned SURF. Keep going up and down the right side of the island next to what looks like a dark blue strip with crosses on. Keep doing this until you run into a Pokémon which looks like a fuzzed graphic. Sometimes it will be called MISSINGNO. But sometimes it will not have a name, it will just be blurred. – (Source)
This meant you’d get 255 Nuggets, 255 Master Balls, 255 Protein, 255 Calcium, 255 Full Restores and Full Revives. You’d never go back to a PokeMart ever again (except to sell, I guess).
17. To date, there is no real Pokemon ability that increases accuracy.
With the exception of Acupressure, but that’s at random.
18. There are only three rods you can use in Pokemon.
Old, Good and Super Rods. There’s no Master Rod, either.
Who is Rod?
19. Smeargle can’t learn TMs.
But it can learn any move using Sketch!
20. Every Spinda is unique.
A Spinda’s spot pattern is determined by its personality value, meaning that there can be exactly 4,294,967,296 (232, 416 or 2564) different variations of Spinda.(Source)
21. Every ancient Pokemon is part Rock type!
22. Believe it or not, Fighting has never been paired with Flying!
No arms on a flying creature, I guess. Can’t use Ice Punch with your wings.
23. When the show was first being planned, Ash was originally going to be given a Clefairy.
It was switched out at the last minute with Pikachu.
24. There’s a scary man on top of the gym on Cinnabar Island.
That is, if you surf along the East coast and don’t have the key to the town’s gym.