How To Get Over Your Ex (And Your Breakup) For Good

Twenty20, klanibani
Twenty20, klanibani

After a breakup it’s important to step back and take a look at the relationship and why the break up is hurting so much.

The reason people suffer so much after a break up is because people have a misguided idea of relationships and what to expect from them. Ideas such as “the one” and “soul mate” cause pain that is completely unnecessary.

Why? Well these are manufactured ideas. Ideas that are manufactured by the world around us such as in Hollywood movies and love songs. They are not real concepts.

Thinking you lost “the one” would cause anyone to suffer, but understanding that this is just a made up idea will make it easy to recover after a break up. There are many “one”s out there.

Psychological Viewpoints That Ease Breakup Pain

I want to show you a set of areas that you need to take a look at and see how they fit to your situation.

1. I need my ex back so badly!

It’s a little known fact that a lot of people enter relationships to compensate for some part of their lives that they aren’t able to deal with. If a person doesn’t have any friends they can talk to intimately, they will be eager for a relationship so they can have someone to share their world with. Some people seek relationships from a mindset of being lonely or from a need to show off. The problem with this is that the person is looking for a relationship because of problems related to themselves instead of actually loving the other individual for who they are. These people need to address any unresolved personal issues before entering a relationship otherwise the pain felt after a break up is much more severe because they were dependent on their partner not only for a relationship but also to wall-paper over issues related to themselves.

2. Emotions cause pain after a break up, not the other person.

As I’ve gone through in other articles, the things that hurt most after a break up include your bruised ego, knocked self confidence, worrying about if you’ll ever find another partner that you can be happy with, etc. These emotions have actually nothing to do with the other person but to do with you and your personal worries. If another person came along that was just as good as your ex or better, you would soon get to like or love your new partner and forget about the old one. Understanding the root of the pain after a break up is important to recovery.

3. Can’t stop thinking of your ex after a breakup?

In my book, “The Erase Code: How To Get Over Anyone In Less Than A Week Using Psychology” I go through the area of anchors and how they can be broken. An anchor is something that, when you come across it, it triggers a memory of something else. An example of this would be if you hear a song which you and your ex used listen to; hearing this song would cause you to remember your ex. The longer the relationship you had with your ex, the greater the number of these anchors that would have been created. However, after a break up when you hear that song, instead of thinking of your ex fondly, you should think of some of your ex’s negative qualities. This would cause you to de-anchor the song from a happy memory of your ex to one that points out things that make you dislike your ex and promote quicker recovery.

4. Acceptance after a breakup.

The main reason some people fail to recover after a breakup is because they hold onto a 1% chance that they can get back together with their ex. If you have this hope, you must find out from your partner if your relationship is definitely over. If your mind doesn’t see that it is definitely over it will not allow you to recover after a break up. Understanding this concept is probably one of the biggest ways to recover easily and quickly after a break up. TC mark

More From Thought Catalog

  • http://michaeldgriffiths.wordpress.com Michael D. Griffiths

    I feel some relief after breaking up. The hard part for me is forcing the change and moving out of the comfort zone, even when it has become an un-comefort zone. Strangely once it is over, I’m good.

  • http://egbertstarr.wordpress.com egbertstarr

    1% chance/99% “probability” quotient

  • https://brenicojayblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/08/how-to-get-over-your-ex-and-your-breakup-for-good/ How To Get Over Your Ex (And Your Breakup) For Good – Lifestyle Writing
  • http://www.frontpagebuzz.com/buzz/front-page-buzz-steph-curry-mvp-ozzy-osbourne-missing-axl-rose-fronting-acdc.html Front Page Buzz: Steph Curry Is MVP Again, Ozzy Osbourne Missing, Axl Rose Fronting AC/DC - Front Page Buzz

    […] How To Get Over Your Ex (And Your Breakup) For Good – Thought Catalog […]

  • http://www.viralpear.com/how-to-get-over-your-ex-and-your-breakup-for-good.html How To Get Over Your Ex (And Your Breakup) For Good | Viral Pear
blog comments powered by Disqus