1. Do you like them or the idea of them? Are you excited about the fact that you’re going to date them in particular or are you excited about the fact you can stop calling yourself single? You don’t want to get into a relationship for the sake of getting into a relationship. Yous should only commit to this person if you can picture a future with them — or at least if you enjoy your present with them. You don’t want to push yourself into a situation you aren’t completely comfortable with, simply because you feel pressured.
2. Do they treat you right? It doesn’t matter how much you love someone. It doesn’t matter how strong your chemistry is with someone. If they treat you horribly, if they disrespect you, if they make you doubt yourself and second-guess your worth, then you belong with someone else. You don’t want to settle for someone who hurts you. You don’t want to put your love for this person above your love for yourself. You deserve so much better.
3. Do you want the same things from your future? You aren’t going to last with this person if you have completely different visions of the future. If you stay together, even though you want different things, then one of you is going to end up disappointed. You’re going to have to make a major sacrifice. You’re going to end up with regrets and may even resent this person for taking away the life you’ve dreamed of living. Even though you might be a great fit with someone, it’s best to enter a relationship with someone who wants the same things are you. Otherwise, you might have to break up years down the line and break each other’s hearts.
4. How much do you know about this person? You don’t want to make a big change, like living together or getting engaged or trying for babies, before you get a good read on this person. Make sure you’ve seen them when they’re happy, sad, annoyed, and enranged. Make sure you know all their different moods and how they respond to issues in their life. You don’t want to commit to someone you’ve known for a short time, then discover that they aren’t who you thought they were at all. You want to make sure you’re moving at a reasonable pace. Make sure you’re not making a mistake.
5. Are they ready to commit to you, too? You need to make sure you’re on the same page with your person. You don’t want to invest all of your energy into someone who isn’t ready to put a label on the relationship. You don’t want to give them everything you have and get nothing in return. Make sure you’re both ready and willing to put in an equal amount of effort. Make sure they’re going to rise to your expectations.
6. Do you think they’re worth the potential heartbreak? There’s a chance the relationship won’t work out, so you have to ask yourself whether you think they’re worth the risk, whether you think they’re worth the trouble. If so, then the last question is… what are you waiting for?