1. You deserve more than a dash of someone’s heart. You shouldn’t be a second choice. You shouldn’t be a just in case. You shouldn’t be a backup plan. You should be a top priority. If you’re willing to drop everything for this person but they only text you when it’s convenient for them, then you shouldn’t be wasting your energy on them. You can do so much better.
2. You shouldn’t have to wait around for them to come to their senses. You shouldn’t have to convince them you’re worthy of their time. You shouldn’t have to try so hard to impress them, to make them see what a great partner you would be, to realize you’re worth the effort. You shouldn’t have to sit around and watch them play the field while you patiently wait for them to change their mind and enter a relationship with you.
3. There are other people who will value you from the start. Right now, it might feel like this person is the only person you could ever want — but there are other options out there. There are other people who would be excited to get to know you better. You don’t have to settle when there is a whole world to explore. Don’t limit yourself. Don’t settle for the first person who treats you semi-decent.
4. Giving more than you’re getting isn’t fair to you. Your relationship shouldn’t be one-sided. You shouldn’t be initiating every hug and kiss and conversation. You should be putting in the same amount of work as the other person. If the relationship isn’t balanced now, that probably won’t change even if you end up dating — and do you really want a partner who doesn’t do their fair share?
5. You don’t want to waste too much time waiting. You don’t want to wait days for a text. You don’t want to wait weeks for a date. You don’t want to wait months for them to finally admit their feelings for you. If you want to take the next step with them, let them know. If they’re not ready, then it’s time to move on. Every second you’re wasting on them is a second you could be spending on someone who actually treats you right.
6. You deserve someone who wouldn’t want to risk losing you. If someone is making you wait forever for a text and canceling plans with you at the last second and flirting with other people in front of you, they must not mind losing you. And the right person wouldn’t want to risk that happening. They would try their hardest to keep you around. They would treat you right because losing you isn’t an option.
7. A relationship isn’t as close as you think. You might be sticking around because you feel like you’re so close to becoming an official couple. But didn’t you think that a week ago? A month ago? If you’re not in a relationship yet, there must be a reason why. Maybe you need to be more vocal about your feelings — or maybe your feelings aren’t reciprocated.