1. People grow and change through the years. Your partner isn’t going to be the same exact person ten years down the line as they were when you first met them. That’s why it’s important for you to be with this person for a while before committing to marriage. That way, you will see them at different points along their journey. You can’t expect them to remain the same forever. You have to be willing to grow with them, to support them, to stick with them no matter what happens.
2. You don’t have to be married to start building a life together. In modern times, it doesn’t matter whether you move in together, adopt a pet together, or even have children together before you walk down the aisle. It might actually be better for you to hit some smaller milestones with your partner before you get married so you know whether you work well as a couple. After all, you two are going to have bad days as well as good days. It’s important to learn whether you can handle stress well together, whether you can solve problems together, whether you can survive your worst moments together.
3. You don’t have to stick to a strict timeline. You might feel like you’re being rushed. You might feel like everyone around you has already settled down so you should do the same. But you don’t have to move at the same pace as your friends and family. You can get married whenever you feel comfortable. If you want to wait a few more years, then go ahead. Don’t worry about what anyone else will think of your relationship because the only two opinions that matter are your own.
4. You don’t want to end up regretting your decision. If you get married and realize it was a mistake, it’s going to take a lot of time, money, and effort to undo your decision. However, if you decide you’re going to wait a little while longer to get married and end up realizing it’s a mistake to procrastinate, you can always start planning your wedding. Plus, it gives you something to look forward to doing. It puts some of your best moments in your future instead of your past.
5. You’re (probably) only going to do it once, so you might as well do it right. If you don’t have enough money for your dream wedding right now, save up for a while. If you don’t have much extra time to plan because you’re busy with work, put it off for a while. If now isn’t a great time for you, there’s no harm in waiting.
6. You’re going to be together forever anyway. If you’re serious about this person, then they aren’t going anywhere. You don’t need to marry them in order to trick them into staying. They’re going to stay no matter what. They don’t need paperwork. They don’t need a ring. Remember, you don’t have to rush into marriage too soon because you can get married any time you want.