1. He refuses to tell you his relationship status. If he dances around the question, if he changes the subject, or if he says his relationship status is complicated, then you should be cautious. He might already be in a relationship. He might be screwing over you and another girl at the exact same time. You don’t want to get involved with someone in a relationship on accident. It shouldn’t be that hard for him to say whether or not he’s single. The question isn’t that difficult. It’s either a yes or a no.
2. He makes and breaks plans with you on a consistent basis. It’s never fun to shave from head to toe, and apply pounds of makeup, and style your hair, only to find out that the other person is canceling on you at the last second. Doing this once is rude. Making it a habit is a red flag. You shouldn’t waste your energy on someone who doesn’t respect your time.
3. He won’t add you on social media. If he refuses to add you as a friend, you have to wonder what he’s hiding. What doesn’t he want you to see? His photos? His exes? His other options? If you’re going to enter a relationship, there shouldn’t be any secrets between you. The least he can do is add you on social media.
4. He only texts you after midnight — or when he’s drunk. You should be on his mind, even when he’s sober. If he’s waiting until he’s lonely or horny or bored to pay attention to you, then you’re only a time filler. You’re the person he wants to see at night when no one else is around, not actually the one he wants to see in the morning.
5. He is secretive about his relationship with you. He shouldn’t hide you from his friends. He shouldn’t procrastinate when it comes to introducing you to his parents. He shouldn’t insist on seeing you at his apartment instead of taking you out to restaurants and walking around with you in public. He should be proud to be seen with you. He shouldn’t be hiding you away if he cares about you.
6. He tells you he isn’t ready for a relationship right now. If he doesn’t want to date you, then why is he flirting with you? Why is he trying to get you alone? Does he want to sleep with you without any strings attached? Or does he simply want the ego boost of knowing you care? Maybe you don’t care about his intentions. But if you only want a relationship from him, this is a sign you should leave ASAP.
7. He treats you like a queen one day — and acts like you don’t exist the next day. You want consistency. You want reliability. You want respect. You want someone who is going to be there for you, even when it’s inconvenient. If he treats you wildly different from one day to the next, then you probably can’t count on him.