1. What when needed, is thrown away; when not needed, is carried back?
2. I have cities, but no houses. I have forests, but no trees. I have water but no fish. What am I?
3. He who makes it, doesn’t need it. He who buys it, doesn’t want to. He who uses it, doesn’t know he does.
4. As a stone inside a tree, I’ll help your words outlive thee, but if you move me as I stand, the more I move the less I am.
5. It’s so fragile that by saying its name, you break it.
6. If I have three of these, I have 3. If I have two of these. I have 2. If I have one of these, I have none. What am I?
7. A man enters the local hardware store. He asks the clerk, “How much are those?” The clerk says, “5 bucks a piece.” The man says, “Great, I’ll take 99 for me and 100 for the neighbor.” The clerk says, “That’ll be $25.” What did he buy?
8. I am a rock group with four members. All dead, one was assassinated. What am I?
9. A peacock lays an egg on a fence between two houses. Who owns the egg?
Peacocks are male, so they can’t lay eggs.
10. I follow you wherever you go. The more of me you take, the more of me you leave behind. What am I?
11. Inside my body lies somebody’s mind, thoughts transferred and then refined, my body and my age fade and rot but the contents I contain inside do not. What am I?
12. I am everywhere, yet I am nowhere. I’m right in front of you, yet I can’t be seen. No matter where you go, I’m there. Without me, you wouldn’t be alive.
13. I’m rarely touched, but often held. If you have wit, you’ll use me well. What am I?
14. What comes once in a minute but twice in a moment?
The letter M.
15. You have a heavy barrel. What do you put in it to make it lighter?
16. I was walking in the woods when I picked it up, so I sat down to look for it, but I couldn’t find it, so I took it home with me.
17. What is the beginning of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end and the end of every race?
The letter E.
18. What do rich people want, poor people have, and if you eat it, you’ll die?
19. This thing all things devour: birds, beasts, trees, flowers; gnaws iron, bites steel; slays king, ruins town, and beats high mountains down.
20. If you’ve got it, you want to share it. If you share it, you haven’t got it.
21. What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a bed but never sleeps, has a head but never weeps?
22. What has a neck but no head, and arms but no hands?
23. What gets dirty as it drys?
24. What is one thing that no one wants, but everyone wants to win?
25. While I am young I am tall as can be, as I grow older I get shorter. When I die, I will be no more. What am I?
26. I am in the light but never touch it what am I?
27. How far can a dog run into the forest?
Halfway, because then he’s running out.
28. What can go up a chimney down, but not down a chimney up?
29. No legs I have to dance. No lungs I have to breathe. No life I have to live or die and yet I do all 3. What am I?
30. I built a square house with 4 walls, and all 4 walls face south. How?
Build it at the North Pole.