1. Treat yourself how you would treat your best friend— with compassion, empathy, encouragement and kindness
2. Better to have a plan and not need it than to need a plan and not have one.
3. You don’t get to choose a lot of things that happen to you but you can always choose how you respond.
4. Take that ONE extra second to think about what you’re going to say and the reverberation that statement will make once you say it.
5. Treat everyone as though their dog just died. You never know what someone is going through.
6. Try not to take someone’s angry rant personal. It’s only directed at you – it’s not about you.
7. I, alone, am responsible for my contentment.
8. A fool takes offense where none is intended. A greater fool takes offense where it is intended.
9. Never assume people see the world as you do. Everyone has their own lens.
10. Time spent wishing it is time spent wasting it.
11. Love as much as you can, even if it’s not returned.
12. The “you” of tomorrow must be better than the “you” of today.
13. If someone does something that hurts you, you need to either bring it up with them and address it like an adult, or you need to let it go.
14. Doing is more important than saying. Do what you say you are gonna do, back up your bullshit.
15. Forgive, don’t forget.
16. The job isn’t done until the tools are put away.
17. Freedom begins when you realize just how little other people care about what you do.
18. People benefit more from compassion than they do spite.
19. Appreciate everything you have. Every moment. Every family member. Every friend. Every meal. No one knows when they’ll someday lose it all.
20. Don’t worry about something for 5 minutes that won’t matter in 5 years.
21. Always tell the truth. That way, you never have to remember what you say.
22. Manners cost nothing.
23. There is no one you can trust 100% except yourself.
24. You will regret whatever you choose to do to some extent, so do whatever you’ll regret less.
25. Know that comfort leads to stagnation.
26. If you have the tools to fix it, then fix it.
27. There’s no such thing as a bad day. There can be bad moments in your day but don’t let those few bad moments ruin the potential good.
28. Keep track of your money. Where is it going to come from? Where is it going to? And most importantly who has yours?
29. If your dog doesn’t trust someone, you shouldn’t either.
30. Live in the present, not the past or future.
31. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
32. You can still enjoy things even if you’re really bad at them.
33. Don’t hurt people. Not physically. Not emotionally. Not mentally. Not financially. We should always strive to help one another.
34. Don’t give a shit what people think about you.
35. Anything lost can be found again except time wasted.
36. You are not responsible for someone else’s happiness.
37. Balance. Your checkbook, your family/work life, your drinking. Find the best balance you can.
38. Always be working towards something.
39. It’s okay to not be okay, and it won’t always be this way.
40. Sometimes, you’ve gotta keep your mouth shut.