1. I was stationed in Seoul, South Korea several years ago. I was taking a shower in my room and when I got out, the word “leave” was written in small letters in the fog on the bathroom mirror. I didn’t have a roommate because NCOs got their own private rooms. A little freaked out, I decided to do exactly that; leave. I went off post for some Korean BBQ and wandered the city a bit.
I came back a couple hours later to find the barracks was evacuated and half burned to the ground. The fire was pinpointed to faulty electrical wiring that caught some insulation on fire inside the walls.
Something knew it was going to happen and to this day, whatever that something was, it didn’t want me in the middle of it. I’d gladly thank who or whatever it is if they’d give me the chance but it’s been years and I still have no idea.
2. I was 18, and my brother, Chris, was 16. I also have a brother, James, who was 5 at the time. We had just moved into an older house that used to be three apartments. We just about finished unpacking and we designated rooms.
James’s room was directly above the living room with the staircase. James went up to discover his new room, and Chris and I took a short walk around the neighborhood. We got back and were sitting in the living room, just talking.
My mom says she’s going to get pizza for dinner, and leaves. She took a fairly long time, which is normal for her. I think she really enjoys the small breaks she gets when she can leave the house without James, and I never object to babysitting. Besides, James is plenty occupied with his new room.
Chris and I are just talking in the living room. James is super excited about his new bedroom. We hear him running and stomping around upstairs, opening and closing doors. Sometimes he slams the doors pretty hard, but whatever, he’s a kid. I assumed he fell asleep since the noise stopped eventually.
I hear my mom’s car pull up. I get up to meet her in the kitchen.
My mom comes in, carrying soda. James follows directly behind her, carrying the food, yelling, “PIZZA TIME!” She took him with her to get dinner (confirmed by my mom).
Chris and I just looked at each other taking too long to comprehend what was happening.
I lived in that house for four years, and that was the only time something really freaked me out.
3. At my old apartment, I was brushing my teeth and my makeup bag flew off the shelf and slammed into the wall across the room. No windows, no fan, the bag was all the way on the back of the shelf against the wall. It did not fall, it flew like the opening pitch. I noped out and went to bed.
Next morning I checked my phone and had a notification from the ‘Sleep as Android’ app. It records movement and sound overnight to wake you at the lightest point in your sleep cycle. I do not sleep talk, and I live alone. I heard on the recording my bedroom door click and creak open (it had a very distinctive creak) and a male voice talking lowly. And then the door closing again.
I lived on the 14th story of a building with no balconies. One needs a coded key-card to get into the front door, and to use the elevator or open the stairwell, and then to open the door to the hallway, and to get into the front door of the apartment and to get into my bedroom. So if I go to the bathroom and forget my key card, I am locked out of my bedroom. It would be insane to break in to any of these. I moved out a few months later.
4. I get insomnia. It was one of those nights, and I was sitting out on my back porch at about 4:00AM smoking a cigarette. It was one of those eerie nights where there is absolutely no breeze and it’s just completely quiet out. We have woods behind our house, and I as I was sitting there I see this person making his way through the canopy of the trees, like jumping from tree to tree, 30 or 40 feet up in the air. I was absolutely stunned and just sat there dumbly, too afraid and confused to even get up and run inside the house. This person or thing or whatever it was stops directly behind my house and looks at me. At this point it’s about 50 feet away and maybe 40 feet up in the air. It pauses for about five seconds staring in my direction.
I’m absolutely certain that it wasn’t an animal. It’s body was human shaped and it definitely wasn’t a raccoon, bear or any of the other things people have suggested it might have been. But the way it was moving through the trees definitely was not human. No human, I don’t care how adroit they were, could move like that. It was too dark to make out much detail of the face, clothing or anything like that.
After about five seconds of looking at me, it turns away and takes off the same way it had been going before, just leaping from tree to tree at a fast pace. Within a few more seconds it was out of site.
5. There was this abandoned school-turned-World War I-military hospital near my house that my friend and I liked to break into. One day we were rooting around the 3rd floor and we found an empty envelope on the floor of a closet. It was old, and the address was written in script. It only had a name on it. That name was the exact same name as my friend, whose name is rather uncommon. We booked it out of there real fast.
6. I was driving down a dark backroad with zero light aside from my headlights when I was 16. I was with my best friend and we were joking and being teenagers when he says to me to look out for this box that was in the road. What I saw was a box slowly inching across the road. Now, this was a night with no wind in the PNW. There was clearly something in the box. I approached slowly, thinking maybe a raccoon or cat was stuck under the box and needed help. As I’m pulling alongside it, my friend starts getting a little freaked out. I look at him (car is stopped now) and I’m like “Chill dude, we can free it”, and he starts begging me to drive. I look over and I see that it’s not a box at all. It’s just a piece of cardboard, stood up on end, just inching towards our car slowly. We were right next to it so there were no strings pulling it, and there was no wind so it couldn’t be that. It took a second to register that what I was seeing wasn’t normal, and once it did I drove so fast out of there. To this day I have no fucking clue what the fuck that was.
7. I had just moved into a tiny town that was literally in the middle of nowhere and had less than 100 people in total population.
I was about 7 at the time and I had overheard my parents talking about a dog that kept barking all night long keeping them up. I wanted to help them so I went out looking for neighbors with dogs to ask if they could maybe keep their dogs from barking all night.
So this particular town had a bad track record of houses catching on fire so there were a lot of old half burned or ruined houses that had just been left to the Earth. This particular incident happened with one of these ruined houses.
As I’m walking around I hear someone call out to me and I turn to see a very beautifully kept lawn in front of a nice white 2 story house. There is a nice old couple sitting in lawn chairs out front and the woman is calling me over. I walk over to the fence.
The woman asks me what in doing walking around by myself (I had been living there for about 6 months at that point so I knew everyone and it wasn’t that weird for parents to let their kids out by themselves). I tell them about the dog and ask if they know about it.
The woman says that it is her dog and she will try and keep it quite from now on, and then offers me a full sized Snicker’s bar. I took it (I know don’t take candy from strangers but there was a fence and also like I said it was a VERY small town and I wasn’t really afraid of anything happening). Feeling like I had accomplished my goal, I went home.
At the time I REALLY wanted to eat the snickers but it had melted on my walk back some so I stuck it in the freezer to chill. Then my friend comes over and we head over to her house and I forgot about the candy.
Wondering how the ruined houses fit into this? Well when I return home from my friends house, I tell my mom about the nice couple and that they would keep their dog quiet. I tell her where the house was and she gets really confused.
“What do you mean? There isn’t a house there.”
I would have shown the candy as evidence but I had totally forgotten about it. After some back and forth we agree to go on a walk tomorrow in the daytime so I can show her which house I mean.
Next day we walk down to where the house was and… there is no house. The well kept law was just overgrown weeds and the house was nothing more than a pile of rubble. Only the fence still remained. I ran home to show her the candy that I had just remembered about and that was gone too (disclaimer: little brother was know for stealing things so he might have taken it, but still).
I still get chills when I pass by that vacant lot to this day and I am now 20 years old.
8. I woke up with a handprint on my chest and back after a night of good sleep, and I have no idea how it got there. I was home alone for the night, and the handprints were bigger than mine.
9. This happened two years ago, I was half asleep and felt like I was being watched, looked out my window and saw a old man hunched over with a walking stick and a crow on his shoulder standing in my front yard about 150 feet away. He looked right at me and I saw this bright blue from one of his eyes. I rubbed my eye and he had disappeared and there was a murder of crows left standing around where he was. This was in the early hours of the morning.
10. This is hard to explain but I want to try. In my childhood home, my bedroom was on the second floor. Only one window, but it was a nice sized one. I was about 12 and my sister shared the room with me but was at her dads that night. I was getting ready for bed, my mom had me getting my pajamas and stuff ready or whatever, but the room was dark and I hated when that happened because I’d have to walk across the room to turn the light on and it always scared me (used a lamp that was set up on the other side near the window and the light switch by the door wasn’t connected to anything).
Walked over to switch it on and I SWEAR, saw this human-like type thing (can’t even fathom how else to describe it) staring in my bedroom from outside my window. It looked like it was fucking tinted blue. Its face was unlike anything I’ve ever seen in any movie or literally anything else before. I was on the second floor too and still somehow saw it so clearly that I remember telling my mom it was like it was floating. Again, it wasn’t too late and I wasn’t even close to being asleep at this point, so it definitely wasn’t a dream or anything like that. I KNEW I saw something and it always stuck with me. I stood and stared at it for a solid few seconds too before bolting the fuck out of there because I felt paralyzed. I remember feeling it stare back at me too.
I REFUSED to sleep in my bedroom for about a whole year after that and pretty much moved into the living room and stayed the fuck away from windows. Every time I think about it now, 10+ years later, I still get a little freaked out. I still always need to make sure every part of all my windows are completely covered by my blinds at night. I’ve only told my now fiancé about this (other than my family when I was a kid) but wasn’t able to explain it properly to him either.
Obviously I know that this sounds/is completely ridiculous but I’ve still never been able to explain it or the feeling it gave me. Finally got the strength to google this a few months back and read a bunch of stories about other people experiencing eerily similar things too, so that was slightly comforting at least.
11. I was house sitting for a period of about three weeks during my senior year of high school. The house was on a road that led pretty deep into the mountains, and I was only needed because a neighbor who lived about a half mile down the hill got mad when the dogs barked at night. I dealt with some actual menaces, mainly scaring coyotes off of the chicken coop, but the entire time I was there I was never at ease. The house was three stories tall with the main entrance on a porch at the second floor, the bottom floor was mainly like a basement with a pool table, and the door to the stairway was able to be locked so I kept it like that. Finally the top floor was just the master bedroom and a balcony inside overlooking the living room. Every night before I slept I would take the dogs around the house to check every corner because I never felt like I was alone there. Finally, on the last night that I was doing this, the dogs and I finished checking the upstairs and were standing in the living room when the hairs on the back of my neck shot up and I swear that someone was on the balcony and said “Shame you leave tomorrow, I was looking forward to playing more.” I grabbed the pellet gun for the coyotes and sprinted back up there with the dogs and…nothing. Everything was exactly as it had been the whole time I was there. If anyone more spiritual than me knows anything I’ve been trying to figure this situation out forever.
12. I love writing and thinking of stories (though not very good) and was very excited when I took up a short creative writing class. One assignment was to write something that focuses on character development. So, my brain got stuck trying to choose all the stories that I’ve thought of before. Basically, I had writer’s block.
So one night my parents decided to have dinner outside and we had to drive down a road where the surrounding trees are huge, at least from where I’m from, to get there. We had dinner and left. On the way back it started raining really heavily. And when we reached home and was all getting ready for bed, there was a power trip most likely from the storm.
That’s when I started getting an idea for a story. Basically, my character was afraid of the dark. And my story explored how he developed that fear when he was in a car when he was young with his mom driving. There was a storm, the road was dark when a giant tree fell onto their car. That’s the gist of it. I was proud because it was one of the better stories for the assignment and the lecturer highlighted it.
That is until I went home that night and there was an accident in the news. An uprooted tree fell down onto the road and a car hit it. I think it was the first time I felt actual chills down my spine and it wasn’t from a movie.
13. One night I was out walking. I lived near a forrest. I went down a path I haven’t noticed before, and at the end there’s a bloody cemetery.
Oh, well – I thought I might as well finish my cigarette at the cemetery, so I’m walking around and get to the end of the cemetery, where theres a decrepit brick wall. Then I see a black shadowy smoky thing, kinda like the black riders from lord of the rings, looking at me and climbing over the wall.
I noped it outta there.
Finally, when I got home – I opened the door, and my girlfriend screamed with absolute horror on her face.
She eventually calmed down, and she later explained that I didn’t look right.
Stll gives me goosebumps, 20+ years later.
14. Grew up in a house my sister, mom and I considered “haunted.” Most unexplained experience I had was, late one night lying across a 3 cushion couch. I felt something brush against my feet on the 3rd cushion so I instantly sat up and saw, what looked like an indention on that cushion as if someone just sat down beside me
15. I was watching a meteor shower on the beach. The frequency and brilliance reached a breath taking point of awe. During that point several witnesses and I saw a dark shape float between us and the meteors. None of us could figure that out.
16. Lived with a ghost for about 2 years. Moved in with my GF and her Mom. They told me the house was haunted and told me about all these events that happened. I was young and basically thought they were just screwing with me. Later on we got a roommate also. So 4 of us in the house.
So one night we are playing cards and drinking. I get up to go the bathroom and notice that our roommates door was shut and her light was on, which was odd because I had just walked by it a minute before on my way to the bathroom and it was open and the light was off. So figured roommate had gone in her room. The bathroom and her room were next to each other.
But everyone was in the kitchen the whole time. This house wasn’t very big. So I went back into the kitchen and asked our roommate if she had shut her door and left her light on for some reason. She said no, so we went back to her room to open the door. But it was locked. Or so I thought.
After pushing on the door I quickly realized it wasn’t locked, but blocked. A large, probably 50+ lb dresser, had been dragged several feet across the bedroom, blocking the door. Basically from one corner of the room to the door or about 10 feet.
Everyone was just in total disbelief as I forced open the door to an empty room with the light on. All the windows were locked from the inside. Everyone said they had been in the kitchen the whole time. About 30 seconds had passed between the time I first passed the open door and then came back to a closed door. And it was only a minute to talk to my roommate before we discovered that the door was blocked.
Pretty much impossible for someone to break in, shut door and move the chest. Also I was the only male there, the 3 women that were there probably couldn’t have moved the chest, as it would have been too heavy for them to move.
I have thought about that night a lot, and have no real answer to how that happened other than the explanation my GF and her mom gave me about the ghost.
A lot of odd things happened at that house, but this was by far the most unexplainable one. There wasn’t really anyone in the house that could have moved that dresser except me. Sure the women could have moved it, but in the time it took me to pee? And without making any noise?No one came in thru the windows. No one in the room. No one in the closet. Super creepy
17. There’s a place here in Alabama in my town called “ Crybaby Hollow “ and it’s just this old bridge in the middle of a forest where a woman drowned her baby a good while ago ( can’t remember who exactly ) but I used to think it was just an old tale parents told their kids.
Well, my friend and I parked our car on the bridge and decided to see what was what. They say the spirit of the baby is still around and if you say “ Cry Baby Cry “ you’ll hear a baby scream in the distance, wanting for its mom.
We turn off the car and the lights and sit there with the windows rolled down and yell out those words. For 15 mins, nothing happened, not even a bug chirped. RIGHT when we were about to turn the key in the truck, my friend and I hear music from a child’s toy, it was a faint “ pop goes the weasel “ melody.
Next thing we know, we hear a baby wailing in the distance, and there is NO one that lives in that forest, it is all condemned and we are a good 20 miles from the nearest civilization. It’s not a cool of a story as the others, but it makes my blood run cold whenever I hear a baby cry now.
18. Our young niece died unexpectedly. We rushed over and stayed the night at the home to support family. I couldn’t sleep. My wife woke up a bit after midnight because she heard “footsteps”. Some time after calming her down a talking toy activated on it’s own in one of the boxes across the room. and she began to cry again. I found it in the pile of boxes with other toys, and brought it to the bed with us. It had batteries, but the switch was in the OFF position. We asked the deceased to answer yes by making it talk, and no with nothing. We spent almost an hour asking questions. It was very peaceful, and reassuring. At a point, it got to be too much, and my wife asked it to stop. It never activated again.
That was a few years back. There have been a few times since when we are having a deep conversation about her, and a random item will fall off the bar or a shelf on the other side of the room. Like someone bumped into to.
We stopped talking deeply about her almost a year ago.
19. When I was a freshman in college I was going through my first major bout of depression. I was crying myself to sleep most nights and during the day I would go to class and then immediately go back to my dorm and sleep. One particularly rough day I went down for a nap and when I was almost asleep I heard someone open my dorm room door. Not unusual because my friends on my floor would visit. However, then I heard someone approach my bed and I figured it was a friend and just continued to sleep, assuming they’d figure it out. Then I felt the softest, most gentle kiss on my forehead. In a sleepy stupor I smiled and immediately nodded off. When I woke up I snapped back into reality and immediately went to all my friends in my dorm and said “ok guys very funny! Who kissed me?” No one had any idea what I was talking about. Looking back now I really think it was a ghost watching over me and comforting me in my time of need.
20. I was sitting in the living room and the way to my game room is past my kitchen. I walk by and the faucet SLAMS on. Not some pussy little stream shit either, like full blast into my sink. I run over and turn it off and didn’t go into my kitchen again for at least 2 days.
21. My family’s had just moved to a new house in the suburbs after living in the city for a few years. The day we moved in my parents decided to repaint my sisters’ room (they shared a room for some time, they were like 11/13) before they settled in completely. We started painting the room but realized we didn’t have enough to finish one wall. My entire family left and went to the local Home Depot to get the same colored paint. When we came back to the house there were two hand prints on my sisters‘ painter wall which baffled us. No one had entered the house but there two distinct hand prints on the wall, like someone would do on a freshly cemented sidewalk. Except these hand prints did not look like a normal person’s handprints at all. They were elongated beyond a normal man’s fingers and pointed, also slightly wider hand as well. My parents made me and my two sisters put our hands up against the dried hand prints on the wall to make sure it wasn’t one of us. As soon as they realized we didn’t pull any sort of prank on there they started praying.
Not going lie for a couple of years that house was full of some haunted shit that I could never explain. To this day I explain to friends what had happened in there and they never believe me, attributing a young age to maybe seeing or hearing things. But honestly, nothing can explain a bed spontaneously catching fire while not being anywhere near any sort of output or open flame or the dried hand prints in my sister’s room, or the horrible noise I heard clear as day with my now deceased dog.
22. When I was little my family went to Bodie CA, a ghost town. At one point we went into a little museum and in this museum was an area with larger items, such as a hearse and a little kids pull toy that has a string on it. Well I would go over and just stare at this toy, my dad would bring me over by him and I’d go right back to this toy. He finally asked why I kept going over there and I said the girl is playing with her toy.
We eventually went to leave and our last stop was the cemetery. My mom was taking me around and was reading headstones and was going on about infant mortality rates and how this headstone says this person died at two weeks old because she’s weird. Now as a three year old who couldn’t read yet this was all going over my head without impact.
I get to one headstone and I just lost it, I’m crying and it’s not I’m hungry tears it’s someone died I’m heartbroken crying. My parents are asking what’s wrong and I start saying “I’m never going to see her again she’s gone.” They ask who’s gone and I reply “The girl that was playing with her toy”. We get back to where we were staying and my mom bought a video about the town and watched it with my grandfather and at the beginning they show the headstone and I just started saying I’m never going to see her again.
Come to find out I had started crying at the headstone of a gir about my age who was acidentally killed by her dad because she walked up behind him and he caught her with the backswing of a pickaxe. She died right around 100 years before I was born, I was born in June and she died in August I think.
23. Had a major disagreement bordering on abuse with my dad while on a family vacation, and asked him to return to his house in his car and we would return to our house in a different state in our car.
While my husband and kids and i were getting organized in our car my phone rang. It was dad. I answered; nobody there. It happened again, then again. My dad was on the other side of the parking lot getting organized himself. I got out of our car and walked over to his car to ask him what he wanted. He had no idea what i was talking about. His phone – at that point an old timey flip phone, was under the passenger seat of his car. When we finally found it and looked at the recent calls, there were none to my number. My dad wasnt that technologically advanced; the likelihood of him clearing calls then ditching the phone was way more than he likely would have been able to do.
My only explanation was that it was some sort of divine intervention from someone “looking out” for us. We were able to talk some things out at that point and he apologized. If that hadnt have happened, that likely would have been the end of our relationship.
As I type this, I am on the way to his memorial service. RIP, Dad, and thanks to whoever provided the divine intervention.
24. Went to visit the Mrytles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana with my family and some family friends. We were going down there to go to the Angola rodeo, and we all decided to take a tour of the plantation the day before the rodeo. Our group included six adults, and seven kids (three ten year olds, an eight year old, two six year olds, and me, fourteen at the time.)
The moment we arrived on the plantation it felt like a haze started to hang on me. My mom told me later I seemed out of it. I felt like I was in a dream the whole time. Floating from place to place. I barely remember the tour. But what’s weird is, I don’t remember anything after we left. We have pictures from the plantation (all pretty creepy), and after. I don’t remember going to the Angola Prison to tour the museum. I don’t remember the rodeo. I do remember, though, dreaming of the plantation. Like I was still there. Trapped. I even developed severe ulcers in my mouth. Just, randomly. But I didn’t realize that, until we got home. My mom told me I only complained about them, once the whole weekend. It was when we ate at a Mexican place and I was eating salsa.
For weeks after I still felt out of it. I still dreamt of the plantation. It only stopped after I told my mom and she told me that when I started to feel that way, to tell whatever may be stuck to me, to go away. I’m not sure if that was what finally gave me peace. But anytime I talk or think about it, it’s like I’m reaching for the memory, but i can’t reach it.
The Mrytles Plantation is definitely a cursed area. If you have the time to read about it, please do. But if you’re ever in St. Francisville, Louisiana, don’t go. It definitely feels like a gateway to hell.
25. When I was in sixth grade, me and a friend came back to school from a race. We went to our class and found it locked with all chairs stacked. We were confused and checked both the gym and outside, no sign of our class. We checked our classroom again just to make sure, nothing. We went to the office and asked where our class was and they just kinda looked at us like we had 3 heads and told us they were in the classroom. We told them no, but they told us to check again. There was my class, sitting in chairs listening to the teacher lecture them. I don’t know what happened there but it was pretty fucking scary.
26. When I was a little kid about 5-6 I was sleeping alone in my bedroom which I usually shared with my older sister who was away that night. I had a lamp above the side of my bed(this is important for the story) anyway I went to sleep and woke up needing to go to the restroom late at night which was across the hall, so I get out of bed and see something out of the corner of my eye… it’s this hairy monster looking thing sitting cross leg on the floor below the night light on the side of the bed. This is the only time in my life I felt like I needed to scream but nothing would come out! I was frozen in fear. The monster grabbed my and put me on his lap face down and bit my lower back HARD. Next thing I know I wake up and I’m hurting on my back and I get up and look out the window(idk why I thought maybe I’d see something) I didn’t see anything and thought I dreamt it and went back to sleep… next day my mom is putting a shirt on me and freaks out and say “what happened to your back?!” I looked and sure enough there was a bloody scab in the shape of a bite. I told her the story and she said she believed me always. Still to this day idk what that creature was and I’ve never seen it again even 20 years later. I still remember it like yesterday though.
27. I’m not spiritual. I’m not aggressive.
My girlfriend and I were at my mother’s doing our laundry. The washing machine and dryer are down in the basement.
We head upstairs after loading everything up and get the the first floor. The stairs enter the first floor into the kitchen which is connected to the living room by a door frame (without door) and a small half-wall that has decorations on it which you can see over into the living and vice versa to the kitchen. These decorations are always changing and I think at the time there was a bird house, candle sticks and like stuff, and most importantly for this story: some long legged leg and arm dolls. These dolls did not look creepy while sitting with all the other decorations, but if you found it in an abandon house or a similar creepy situation you probably wouldn’t touch it.
We walked into the living room and I told my girlfriend I needed to grab something from the upstairs room. The staircase to the second floor is small, only 8 steps, and are on the opposite side of the half-wall to the kitchen. So right next to the decorations.
I head up and grab whatever it was I was getting and start heading back to the stairs. When I get the to top of the stairs and look down I see my Girlfriend with her eyes wide open. Her mouth was slightly open in shock or awe. Her skin was pale as of she was dying. She didn’t make a noise at all.
I’m moving down the stairs now semi quickly now. Asking what’s wrong and what she is seeing with no answer from her. And before I know it I’m at the bottom of the steps with my hand on her throat. I was stunned. I immediately pulled my hand away when I noticed. It was not like a death grip but holding on. I would never harm her or anyone, especially in that type of a situation, really any situation. I’ve never hurt her before. I’ve never choked someone before. I’ve never been in a fight before.
After I left go of her throat she became more calm and was able to speak but was still shook, I would be too if someone was just choking me.
She said that the doll that was sitting with all the decorations looked at her. It was facing away as she watched me trot up the stairs and as I was coming back she glanced toward decorations and the dolls head turned and looked at her. It turned as fast as a finger snap or a blink.
She knows I would not hurt her and was confused as to my reaction of her being completely frightened. As was I.
In my mind I was moving down the stairs and asking what’s wrong. I got to the bottom of the steps and all of the sudden my hand was on her neck.
I cannot explain what she saw or why my reaction was to grab her neck. Its like I wasn’t controlling myself. My reaction was confusion and asking what’s wrong.
I’m not spiritual at all. If spirits, God’s and demons are real then that might explain what happened. Other than that I have no idea.
After it happened and we had both calmed down I remember looking at the doll. It was looking back at me. It felt evil. Sinister.
28. When I was a kid, I had LOTS AND LOTS of plushies. One of them was a talking Ernie (from Sesame Street) that wasn’t functioning properly. You had to absolutely bang it on a table for it to say, “I feel great!”
Our old house in my home country was housed with spirits but not bad ones (or at least that’s what my parents said lmao). I never witnessed or felt anything until this one time. When I was 8, I overheard my parents saying something along the lines that my Ernie plushy spoke every time they talked about my grandma. I got irrationally scared which made my parents hide Ernie in a huge box along with my other unused plushies. One time when I was playing hide and seek, I was hiding with my childhood friend, Jay, in our spare room where the box of plushies was. While we were hiding, I figured might as well tell him the story about the haunted Ernie and my just recently passed away grandma. In the middle of the story, we heard Ernie say, “I feel great!” in the box on top of the shelf. There’s no way that was moved. And even if it was somehow moved by gravity, you need to bang Ernie on the table to make it talk. We screamed and ran outside
29. I basically lived at my best friends house in high school. If I wasn’t at his place he was at mine. He called me one Saturday morning after I had just left from spending the night thinking I had pranked him.
He and his dad went up to their attic to get Christmas decorations down and found a nest of blankets and food wrappers and clothes they didn’t recognize.
I had not played a prank and the only attic entrance was from inside the house.
30. We buy packs of timber from overseas while removing some of the timber I found a mosquito that had. been squashed in between pieces. A Vietnamese bloke who is Buddhist picks it up breathes on it for a little while and the damn thing came back to life… trippiest thing I’ve ever seen… all I know is that timber sat on a ship for 6 months before getting to Australia…
31. I was leaving out of town for the week and i was doing some last minute packing the night before. My brother was going to stop by to pick up the key for the house. Well, you know how you know all of the sounds to your house? It sounded just like someone coming in my house. I thought it must be my brother. Went to check and nobody’s there, also there was a couple of kitchen drawers opened and the door leading from my kitchen to the garage was wide open.
32. I was working at a Starbucks in a busy metro area, it was being renovated but we have a really tiny/inadequate/crappy set up with which to sling drinks around temporarily. There was a bunch of partitions which made it creepy so everyone felt like it was haunted.
The phone rang and one of the supervisors answered it and said that a woman said she was locked in the bathroom and couldn’t get out. That actually has happened in the store before so I went and checked and both bathrooms were empty. When we tried to *69 the phone number we kept getting a disconnected error. I honestly thought that the supervisor was full of crap because I just generally hated him.
Then a few minutes later the phone rang again and I answered it. There was a woman on the phone who sounded really distressed. She asked for Alejandra, who was another supervisor who left maybe 20 minutes earlier. I asked who she was and she screamed “HER MOTHER”. So I apologized and said she clocked out and wouldn’t be back in and she screamed “SHE’S MY DAUGHTER, I WANT TO TALK TO HER”. She was clearly very distressed and crying.
I tend to mind my own business, family drama is family drama and I wouldn’t want someone to make a big deal about it. So I just texted Ale when I got off work and said her mom called and sounded really upset.
She immediately called me and told me her mom had been dead for years and wanted to know who called the store. She was really pissed that someone would do that, but I was creeped out.
ESPECIALLY because someone had died in one of the bathrooms a few years earlier (was doing drugs, overdosed in the Starbucks bathroom.)
Either a very good actress who had personal information on the store was calling, or for 20 minutes our Starbucks landline was open for the dead to connect to the living. I get creeped out talking about it.
33. I visited St. Augustine when I was about 9 years old with my family and some friends. While we were there we went to the Castilo de San Marcos, a Spanish fort built in the late 1600’s. In the fort there is a corner room with no windows called the “black room”. It was used to store weapons but was walled up for a few hundred years, and when they opened it up again they found human skeletons in the room-meaning that they had been walled up alive.
So I was alone in this part of the fort with my mom. As she was reading the description of the room I was crouching down and looking into the room (there was a small arch to go into it). There was clearly no one else in the room, and as I said before no windows. I suddenly felt a powerful burst of wind come shooting out of the room and go right through me. I’m not exaggerating, it felt like it went in one side of my body and out the other. I ran from one side of the fort to the other in about 30 seconds. I probably would have set a world record if someone had been timing me. I was really scared. Anyway a bit after that we went into the room with a big group of people and nothing scary happened.
Years later I was watching the travel channel around Halloween time and they had a documentary about Halloween attractions around the world. After that was done Ghost Adventures came on. I usually don’t watch shows like that because I’ve never found them very interesting, but this episode was about the Castillo de San Marcos so I decided to watch it. In the episode they go into the same room and while in the room the host stops talking mid-sentence and says “oh my god I just felt like a burst of wind go through me.” Needless to say I had goosebumps all over after seeing that on TV. I still get goosebumps while talking about it.
I get it if you don’t believe me, because I probably wouldn’t believe it if it hadn’t happened to me. But that was the creepiest thing that has happened to me that I can’t explain.
34. Stopped for the night at a motel in the middle of Pennsylvania but was too tired initially to care about how shady the place feels. It was still a chain hotel but you had to drive through a long, unlit road to get to the entrance. I’m in the bathroom hand washing a shirt and felt a coldness up my back. I ignored it at first but then felt weird and was creeped out by then. I bounced out of the bathroom to calm down. I finally see it. Blood on the wall. Wasn’t much but it was there, dried. My bf had the idea to push a chair up against the doorknob so we’d sleep knowing we’d be a bit safer. It mustve been 3 or 4am when we woke to someone trying to open our door. It wasn’t even like a drunk person stumbling around looking for his room. It was a quieter, stealthy, attempted break in. Whoever it was tried and couldn’t get in and left us alone. There wasn’t much sleeping the rest of the night. Fuck that motel.
35. I went to my backyard to take my dog out to the bathroom one night over the summer and I also had to pee so I went over by a tree to relieve myself. While I was peeing, I heard someone whistle. I thought it was just my imagination or the neighbors, but they whistled AGAIN and I realized they were standing behind my pig pen (which is about three feet tall) in some bushes. I froze in fear for about ten seconds until I yelled for my dog and ran inside. I told my Dad, the only other person home, so he went outside with a gun and a flashlight, but they were gone. The next day I went out there, I noticed the bushes limbs were pushed back and like broken off in some places right where they were standing. I still have no idea who it was. Scared the shit out of me.
36. I went camping with 2 friends a few years ago. We went pretty far away from civilization, the nearest town had a population of 30 people and was an hour away from the lake we were at.
It was cool, I usually try to get away while camping but this was the most extreme to date and you could feel it.
During the first night the 3 of us were sleeping in the tent when I woke up to the noise of something brushing against the tent. The tent was around 5ft tall at its peak and whatever was in our site was brushing against it near the top. I have never in my life been filled with such true fear.
I’ve camped a lot and have had run ins with bears and other animals and have been scared before but this feeling was different, there was something extra unnerving about this.
I stayed laying there completely still with my heart beating out of my chest as whatever this was kept methodically brushing against the tent. It wasn’t making much other noise other than going back and forth on the tent.
I put my finger up to my face and made the “shhh” gesture before slowly poking my friend, who was sleeping facing me, awake. He heard the noise immediately and his face dropped, he was wide awake looking at me as we just stared at each other wide-eyed.
He spent a lot of time growing up on a reserve and the accompanying mostly untouched land in coastal BC but later explained never experiencing anything like it.
So we laid there for a minute wide awake practically shaking with fear and then next thing we know we both woke up in the morning. We woke up at the same time and immediately started asking what the hell that was last night and what happened. We both felt so awake at the time and were having trouble understanding how we just fell asleep. We explained it to our other friend as he awoke to us frantically recapping the evening.
When we left the tent and went back to the site everything looked normal. There was a half full box of Ritz crackers that we left out (our bad) untouched. The one thing that looked different is we had left a stack of red plastic cups out of the table and they were all melted on one side to the point where we couldn’t pull them out cause they had a new indented mold. It blew our minds. We spent the whole day trying to figure out possibly how that could have occurred, it make no sense.
One of my friends fell very ill as the day went on, we decided to leave that site after that next night and camped the other 2 nights of our planned trip at a more populated site closer to home as we all very very uneasy about what had transpired.
I’m not even sure what I think happened all I know is that that is the creepiest feeling I’ve ever felt. Whenever myself and the friend who I woke up get together the conversation ends up on that night always with the quote “what the hell happened that night?”
37. Was walking home in middle school with a friend of mine. Hear tires squealing and we turn and look and see a car coming right at us. We jump down in a fairly large ditch right before we get shot at. We both ran into the storm drain and waited til the car drove off and hauled ass to his house. This was in a nice, suburban area and was completely out of the blue and neither of our parents believed us.
38. It was like 2 am, I took my clothes off and went to sleep. A minute later something hit me at my head. It was one of my socks. When I take them off I throw them in a corner of my room, so someone threw it back at me.
But there was no one in my room, was alone 100%. May not sound so scary, but it was for me!
No, there were no fans in the room.
No wardrobes or similar around my bed.
39. I’ve been waiting for this question! (Typing on mobile, sorry if it looks messed up.) My freshman year of college I was living on the 4th floor of my dorms. It was winter time, and there was snow on the ground. It was probably around 3 or 4 in the morning and my roommate and I had both randomly woken up but we weren’t talking, as we both thought the other was asleep. Then we both heard very clear, loud knocking on our window. 4 loud knocks that you could just tell was on glass. We both said “did you hear that” and were kind of spooked. 15 minutes went by, nothing happened. I was starting to fall back asleep and there it was again, four loud knocks. At this point I was shaking because in my mind, someone had somehow climbed up to our window and was trying to scare the shit out of us. So I got up and pulled our blinds back to look for someone, no one was there. No footprints on the snow on the ground, nothing. So I got back in bed. Another 5 minutes or so and we heard the knocking again but it was coming from what sounded like the neighbors window. Sure enough we heard our neighbors say “dude, what the fuck” and shuffle around a little. Then like two minutes later, it sounded like every single window on our floor was being knocked on for about 7 seconds straight, just absolutely insane. People started screaming and we could hear people opening their doors and running across the halls into their friends rooms because they were terrified. It kept happening for probably two more hours but only at specific windows like every 15-30 minutes. Every time I was about to fall asleep it happened again. I even texted my boyfriend, who lived on the first floor, to ask him if he also heard this, which he didn’t. That was a very long night. No one ever found out what that was, as far as I know.
40. I think I’ve shared this story here before, but when I was around 9 or 10 years old, my family had a big family reunion at my great aunt’s house (a giant Victorian-era mansion with a huge back yard). I remember there was nobody there my age, and all the adults became eventually drunk, so I wandered around the house and quickly found the upstairs library that I thought was neat because it also had a back hallway with a tiny bedroom and full bathroom (probably the nanny’s quarters back in the day). I remember I was sitting on the library rug I think playing with a black and gold check-printing machine, when a kid in the hallway suddenly said “You’re not supposed to play with guns, Bill.”
I wasn’t playing with guns, and my name wasn’t Bill! But I thought cool, another kid my age. I looked back and didn’t see anything, then I hopped up and went around the door but he was gone. I went down the stairs and found my mom and asked if she had seen a kid my age (no). I looked all around and there was nobody there my age.
Then when I was a late teenager, my mother told me that her father (Bill), who had died before I was born, had killed his friend with a gun accidentally when he was 13, in that house. Nobody ever talked about it in the family.
Fast-forward 40 years later, I was now driving my great-Aunt, Bill’s sister, who had stayed in that house until she was 90, back to her assisted-living apartment (age 105 now). I asked where Bill had shot that kid and she said in the upstairs library.
41. When I was 9, I woke up in the middle of the night positive that my aunt Hope had died. The feeling was so real that it scared the daylights out of me and I ran to my parents room crying. I told them what happened, and they kept saying “its just a bad dream, everything’s OK, aunt Hope is fine” but I couldn’t calm down.
After some 10-15 minutes of this, the phone rang. My dad got up and went to answer it. It was my uncle calling to tell us Hope had just died.
42. I got a very creepy phone call once. A distraught woman calls me one day demanding to know where her son is, who’s been missing for two weeks. I had no idea who she was and I certainly didn’t know her son and she was calling from a state That I definitely never even visited. I asked her how she got my number and she said that she found it written on a piece of paper, along with my name, in her son’s desk. Needless to say I was creeped out. I really didn’t think that I could help her in any way so I politely ended the conversation. For a while after that I thought that I’d be getting a surprise visit from some detectives or something, because all of a sudden it felt like I was connected to something sinister, but nothing ever came of it and I never heard from the woman again.
43. When my son was about 2 or 3, he wouldn’t go to sleep, so I let him in my bed. My husband was asleep so I told my boy he had to look at his books quietly while I read mine. He was good for a bit but then he started reading the book. Actually reading the words out loud. Slowly. He couldn’t read and it was a newer book we hadn’t read to him yet. It wasn’t memorization. I asked him how he knew what it said and he replied “my friend John is telling me”. Scared the shit out of me.
44. When I was a kid I saw a shooting star, which I had always wanted to see. At least, that’s what I thought it was.
Then it shot off at a 90 degree angle.