1. One More Minute – Weird Al Yankovic. Al has some really dark and twisted songs back in his early stuff. This song and Melanie are a lot more brutal than most people would expect from the man known for parodies.
2. Seventy times 7 by Brand New. ‘So have another drink and drive yourself home. I hope there’s ice on all the roads. And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt, then when your head goes through the windshield.’
4. I like ‘Beautiful Day’ by Michael Buble. It is a sort of anti break up song. Where he realizes that he dodged a bullet and life is better without her. The tune is so bouncy and happy and the lyrics are so shady. Got me through a nasty break up earlier this year.
5. Fuck you – Lily Allen. I love the way that she combines the world’s catchiest pop tunes with dark lyrics.
6. Platypus – Green Day. “No one loves you and you know it. Don’t pretend that you enjoy it or you don’t care. ‘Cause now I wouldn’t lie or tell you all the things you want to hear.” Crude, but also short, sweet and to the point.
7. No Vaseline – Ice Cube. It’s the definitive diss track. A lot of ‘diss tracks’ are just normal tracks but one or two lines diss a certain artist. Every single line in No Vaseline is a diss aimed directly at someone.
8. No Children by The Mountain Goats, you can hear the hatred.
9. Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright by Bob Dylan. It’s not so much a “fuck you” as it is “you’re not even worth a fuck you.” It’s just cold. I’m not saying that you treated me unkind, you could have done better but I don’t mind. You just kinda wasted my precious time, but don’t think twice it’s alright.
10. I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Adam Sandler in The Wedding Singer. “But it all was bullshit, it was a goddamn joke, and when I think of you Linda, I hope you fucking choke.”
11. Fuck you – CeeLo Green. I’m always surprised at how few people seem to know that that song even exists. The heavy marketing of the clean version kind of hid it, it seems.
12. Gives You Hell – All American Rejects. There’s something SO incredibly satisfying to yelling along with Gives You Hell even if you’re not angry. I can only imagine the satisfaction you could get from it if you were really angry.
13. GFY – Ninja Sex Party. Nothing like Danny Sexbang cheering at you to make the message delightfully vicious.
14. You don’t know – Reel Big Fish. Literally the first line is “Well, first of all, I’d like to say fuck off.” It always puts me in a great mood!
15. Rage Against the Machine – Killing in the Name. I will never forget the time when I saw them live at Download. The bridge part of the song hit and 90.000 people shouting MOTHERFUCKER in unison. Unforgettable.
16. Eff – Bo Burnham. An absolute masterpiece.
17. Daddy – Korn. Ooooh boy, if you’re a victim of child abuse, probably best not to listen to that one.
18. 25 to life – Eminem. One of those you can hear it means something to him from his passion in the song, but the lyrics are absolute fire.
19. Sweet As Whole by Sara Bareilles. “But that only happens when I get provoked by some piece of shit asshole we all sadly know. And I sit and I write while reminding you all that mean songs are still better than going postal.”
20. Pretty much the entire Marshall Mathers LP. Especially Criminal, Marshall Mathers, Kim and The Way I Am.
21. Shoshtakovich Symphony 5. Shostakovich wrote under Stalin. Like many artists of the day, this was very difficult. The 5th Symphony is really about the revolution against Communist Russia, but because it’s music, so that isn’t explicit, it was allowed to be performed. Some seriously angry shit going on.
22. Praying – Kesha Fuck. Powerful and telling him she’s moving on but fuck you!