1. Had a difficult day, tired from 12 hours on my feet and ready to burst. Came back to a hot bath filled with lavender scented bath salt, candles all around the bathroom, a cold beer waiting for me next to it all, plus a bunch of flowers and my favorite candy bar. Almost burst into tears.
I fucking love my SO.
2. The temperature has been dropping like crazy where we live; and my extremities are always cold. I freeze/shiver constantly even during warmer months, but obviously more so during fall/winter. My SO on the other hand is perfectly warm and just the right cuddle-temperature perennially, although at times I’m too cold to handle. When he’s in bed sometimes I like to tease him by putting my cold hands on his warm back/tummy and make him yelp.
Well, last weekend, he was fast asleep in bed by the time I crawled in carefully, trying not to wake him. He stirred anyway, and in his half-asleep state, gingerly touched my freezing feet with his. I thought it was by accident and quickly moved my feet away lest he wake up from the cold, but he was actually checking to see how cold I was, and he moved closer and wrapped his legs around mine to start warming them up. Then – still half-asleep – he reached out and grabbed my freezing hands and pulled me towards him mumbling, “Cuteness, so cold…” and promptly fell asleep with his hands locked in mine. I was left grinning in the darkness like a Cheshire Cat for a good five minutes and feeling like the luckiest, safest girl in the world. He truly is my everything!
3. Every year my boyfriend and I go to this art festival. I commented on this artist I really liked and wanted to buy one of the pieces but didn’t want to spend the money. Without telling me he got the artists contact info and had them make a custom piece for me. He gave it to me for our 5th year anniversary and every time I look at it I think of him!
4. When we first started dating, I started calling him Bumblebee due to something that happened on a trip we took. For Christmas that year, he went to four different malls to find a bumblebee charm necklace for me so I would always have him next to me.
5. She was driving around on a weekend, and saw a garage sale where they were selling rusty old tools. She remembered I was currently into removing rust by electrolysis, (I bored her to death explaining the process), so she bought me those old tools, (really rusty old tools), for me to experiment. Considering how she hated to be around stuff like that, that was a sweet and cute thing for her to do.
6. When my husband and I first started dating, we were on a pre-dinner walk and happened to pass by a shoe store. I had been looking for a specific style of boots (maroon, suede booties) and the perfect pair were in the window. I got super excited, but the store was closed. About a week later, I was having a rough day at work. I came home and the boots were waiting for me on the counter (he was staying at my place). He had taken a picture of the size of another pair of my shoes to show the girl working so he could get the sizing right. It’s still one of the cutest things he’s ever done.
7. He turns the heated seats on in the car for me before I get to the car on cold days, such a small gesture but it makes me smile like crazy every time. He doesn’t even turn his own on.
8. We both have a cold. He stayed home from work today but I had to go in for the afternoon for some meetings. While I was gone, he went to the store and made supper. When I got home, what he cooked was on the stove, hot and delicious and ready to eat and I didn’t want it cause I’m sick and all I want is some broccoli cheese soup. And before I can say anything he says “Babe, I know how you are when you’re sick, so I made dinner. But I also just bought you a tub of fresh broccoli cheese soup cause I knew that’s all you’d want.” He does shit like that all the time. I’m the luckiest girl alive.
9. I used to work in a sandwich shop where I had to close by myself. I would be alone for the last hour before the doors locked, and then however long it took me to finish up after close. We weren’t officially together yet, weren’t even really dating, we were just hanging out and getting to know each other. Anyways, I would get really freaked out being in that building by myself with the doors unlocked, it was in a bad part of town and anyone could just walk right in. I expressed this to him and he started coming and just sitting in the lobby doing homework and stuff and talking to me while I cleaned until I locked the doors, then he would sit in his car while I finished up and then drive me home. It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. It still makes me smile when I think about it.
10. Every time she eats French fries she always offers me the last one.
11. My husband and I have wildly different settings for our shower. He likes “power blast” while I prefer a more gentle spray. I got in the shower the other day and thought about how I never had to switch it to my setting. I realized then that every time he takes a shower, he always switches it back to my favourite setting so I’m not surprised by a blast of water. I have never done the same for him.
12. My hubby knows my favorite part of Christmas is opening gifts. I just love the sound of the paper ripping and finding out what is inside. So one Christmas, he decided he was going to wrap everything. If it was in my stocking even, it was wrapped. But no, that wasn’t enough, all the kit Kats and other candy weren’t just wrapped in the bag they came in. Instead, he opened the bags of mini candies and wrapped every damn one of those candies. I can’t imagine how long he spent wrapping but I still smile and chuckle when I think about him doing that for me.
13. On the night he asked me to be his girlfriend, my SO swooned me over by effortlessly cooking an amazing, romantic carbonara for me.
A couple weeks later, I find random photos of the same carbonara on his phone from multiple dates leading to the day my SO asked me out. Turns out, my SO didn’t know how to cook and had been practicing profusely for weeks just so he could impress me. His roommates later confessed to me they had been eating carbonara for weeks to help him prepare.
14. She hugs me around my belly when I cook breakfast. Something about her arms around me while I flip a pancake makes me so fucking happy.
15. Was in so much back pain I had to eat dinner laying diagonally in bed. SO brings a chair in to sit next to me while he eats.
16. The day after we found out we liked each other we were talking and somehow it came up that I’d never found a four leaf clover. The next morning in class he brought one for me that he had spent forever searching for in a field! Yes, I still have it.
17. Every time he shovels the snow, he makes sure to shovel a line to the door of my car so that I can get in without ever having to step in snow.
18. She was away for 3 weeks for work, she ordered me fun socks and put puns related to what was on the socks in the shipping note.
19. The first year we started dating I got a text telling me to check outside. He brought me a tiny white Christmas tree to my door step. There was two presents underneath. One for me, and one for my dad.
This really meant a lot to me, because I love Christmas, but my family never really celebrated it, and my dad is essentially my only parent. This was my first Christmas tree ever, and we still use it every Christmas. In addition, the fact that he even got my dad a present.. He’s such a keeper. He’s asleep next to me now. I love him so much.
20. My husband is the only person I don’t run and try to hide my panic attacks from. He helps ground me by squeezing me or reminding me that “everything is going to be ok”. One Valentine’s day he got a teddy bear with a button inside that has a recording of him saying it for when he can’t be there. I cried like a baby, it was the sweetest present I’ve ever gotten. He works nights so when I have a rough day I tuck that bear in bed with me.
21. I was talking about different places we could potentially live based on where I ended up finding a job. I asked for his opinion and he simply said, “Home is wherever you are.”
22. My wife is a huge fan of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and got me into it as well. One time I was complaining about allergies that left my ear feeling clogged. She put her mouth right by my bad ear and said, “Is this the ear you can’t hear in? George Bailey, I’ll love you ‘til the day I die.” I was absolutely smitten.
23. Just moved to US from South Africa. Although it is not winter yet, it is very cold for me. Whenever am showering, SO puts my PJs or night gown in the dryer for a few minutes to heat/warm it up.
24. This might seem strange that I think this is cute but whenever I sit down with my boyfriend and start to cry (like recently I had to put my first dog down and it was a very difficult day for me) he’ll wipe my tears and cry with me. It really makes me feel like he’s listening and sympathizing with whatever is upsetting me.
25. Drove 5 hours round trip to birthday surprise me with food from my favorite childhood pizza joint. (We live together; pizza was 2.5 hours away.)
26. It was our first Christmas together. I was working overnights at the time and had to work Christmas Eve through Christmas morning. We had been talking about family traditions and I mentioned in passing how stockings were my favorite part of Christmas morning. We had an open house at my house Christmas Eve, and when I got into my car (exhausted because I did not sleep that day) I saw that he had snuck one of my many stockings out of my house, filled it and left it on my front seat to find ….it made me smile heading into a crappy shift .
27. On cold mornings when he goes to work early he fills a hot water bottle and puts it in bed with me to keep me warm.
28. He was staying the week at my place, and would just hangout while I went to school. I was pretty stressed out that week and one morning we got into a disagreement that I had to leave in the middle of so I wasn’t late. Cue a terrible day. But, when I came home, I saw he had completely cleaned my room, organized my makeup, vacuumed, and even did me and my roommate’s dishes and took out our trash. Gave me a big hug and apologized, said he knew I was stressed, that he wasn’t making it easier on me, and that he knew my messy room had been weighing on me so the least he could do was take care of that. I love him.
29. I get really bad anxiety attacks. The first one he saw was a few months into us dating. He build me a pillow wall on one side of the bed and held me until I fell asleep. He still does this if I’m freaked out.
30. I’m a grown woman who still loves tea parties. I collect tea sets and I rarely get the opportunity to use them. No one else seems to like sitting down and having tea and snacks out of pretty dishware as much as I do. My husband (now ex) got out one of my fancier sets and surprised me one day by making tea and putting out cookies for us to share.
31. I’m in the Military, and my wife wrote me a letter for every week of my deployment. In advance, and sent it with me in a giant envelope.
written letters from her and my kids
pictures my kids had drawn
polaroids that she had sneakily taken of the family for a while before I left
money for each of the countries I was going to visit
ideas and research on things I should spend that money on.
It was amazing, especially later on in the deployment.
I was so excited to open my letter each week. It made being away much more bearable.
32. First year of marriage hubby had to take a work trip. That first night after I got home from work (he left after I had left for work) I found he had left little noted hidden in random places around the apartment. They each had a different phrase on it. Some were funny, some were sweet. It was a super cute gesture from a guy who is not normally a romantic type. On the phone that night I told him I found the notes. He asked how many. Apparently there were two more that I couldn’t find for a couple more days. It was fun trying to find them.
33. He brushed the snow off my car and gets it all warm for me in the morning.
34. Buckle up and prepare for some cavity-inducing cuteness.
I had told him a few months ago about how I had always wanted to go on an actual, family television style picnic. You know, the woven bask, a blanket to sit on, lemonade to drink, all the works. I had begged my mum growing up to go on one, but she was a single mother raising me for most of my childhood and here I was, 24 years old, and still had never had my picnic.
About two weeks ago, he told me he was heading out for a haircut. I stayed home cuddled in a heating blanket and put on a movie while he was gone cause it was starting to rain and I figured he’d be a while.
He called me about 20min later and told me to go in the bedroom cause he shit himself. Oh…okay, he is lactose intolerant and had just eaten ice cream the night before, that’s pretty embarrassing, I made sure he was alright and went to wait in the bedroom. I heard the front door open and some rustling for about five minutes, then he asks me to come out.
He’d gone to the store and gotten a wicker basket and lemonade and food for a picnic and had laid out a blanket in the living room floor for an indoor picnic. Our cat even got to sit in on and enjoy this picnic with us since it was indoors! I think he had wanted it to be outside, but the rain was keeping us in.
Sneaking the ringbox out after we finished eating was the best part, though.
35. As I was falling asleep one night, he took my face in his hands and told me all kinds of nice things about myself. All kinds of compliments and how much he loved me. I actually fell asleep in the middle of it, so I don’t remember what was said, but I remember feeling so special and safe and warm and loved.
36. I love horror. He is terrified of it.
I really wanted someone to watch Haunting of Hill House with me to help find the hidden ghosts so he made up a blanket fort in front of the TV, filled it with pillows and snacks and watched it with me but when it got too scary he would yell “retreat!” and go back into the fort and play soldiers until it was safe to come out.
37. While driving, she carefully unwraps my sandwiches and then carefully rewraps them so that I can eat them while holding only the wrapper. She will also feed me fries one at a time.
38. We went out of town for my birthday weekend, he watched Harry Potter movies with me although he’d never been a fan. We got an adult coloring book and drew on it. I started getting terrible cramps so I stopped and just started dying under the covers.
So then he remembered we borrowed a charging block for our phones from the front desk. He stated he was going to go downstairs and give them their block back. At this point I’m like “yeah sure whatever” he was gone for about twenty minutes and I start to freak out and overthink in my head I swear the worst went through my mind “he’s probably tired of my cramp whining and is downstairs grabbing a drink at the bar…. he probably found some girl and is talking to her…etc.” Therefore I called him and he said he was just in the rest room that he would be right up. So I wait a couple 10 more minutes and he showed up with a bag from a local pharmacy with heat pads (keep in mind he didn’t have his car on him, he ran all the way to the closest pharmacy to buy me heat pads for my cramps and ran all the way back)
It was just instant waterworks, because here I am thinking the worst of my SO. Meanwhile he did the most kindest gesture for me. I knew at that moment he’s the one for me and ever since I’ve been more and more grateful to have him in my life.
39. For Christmas, she gave me this little coffee cup (we met in a cafe) and inside, were little bits of paper strips. Each strip had something she ‘loved’ about me, including my quirks. There must have been 50+ things that showed me how she much attention and care she has for me.
40. I get up at 5:30 am every day for work and I have a hard time waking up at that hour so he wakes up with me and will cuddle me for a minute and tell me I’m amazing and I’m going to kick today’s ass. I love him so much.
41. His mom is an amazing baker, and he wanted me to try the cake she makes for his birthday. I couldn’t make it to his birthday at home, so he asked her to make a miniature version that he could bring to my house. This guy brought me his own birthday cake, complete with writing and everything, just so he could share it with me. It didn’t completely sink in how much he loved me until that completely selfless and sweet moment
42. Usually if I’m grumpy or upset, he goes into position for attack, then scoops me up and throws me over his shoulder like a freaking sack of potatoes. Then, he pretend body slams me into the bed or couch and pins me down so I have to try to break free. We both do a lot of stupid, gross, cute crap, but this is my favorite by far. Cheers me up instantly
43. It was cold, I was drunk, and he fed me Doritos in bed. It was the moment I knew I loved him.
44. When I got totally trashed downtown one night hanging out with my friends, I called him to come get me, and he cycled to pick me up so I wouldn’t have to leave my car downtown overnight. Not only that, but when he arrived I was too drunk to direct him to the correct spot so he used some sort of magical echolocation involving a siren to find me and my car.
45. Tried DnD. I’m a massive nerd. She watches footy and car racing. There’s very little overlap in our hobbies. Growing up, I had very few friends. Until I discovered The Shop. Going down there to play Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, and then anything people would teach, I made many new friends. Including many that I consider family. Knowing how much gaming means to me, she agreed to be in a DnD campaign I was running. I think she enjoyed it, but it very much wasn’t her style.
It meant the world to me.
46. Set Alexa reminders to tell me he loves me when he’s not home and I am.
47. About two years ago, I had to have a spontaneous foot surgery (long story) and he took a week off of work to spend with me while my parents went on the Las Vegas trip that they had booked a year prior and was non refundable. Also helped me take care of the new puppy we got right before my surgery. Then we went to Kings Island a few months later when I could walk again and he would sit with me when I couldn’t stand in a two hour line for a ride and our friends wanted to go. I’m marrying him this Saturday!!!!
48. It’s not as glamorous as the answer you’re probably looking for but just listening to me and engaging in conversation she doesn’t care about because she knows it makes me feel good.
49. She kept mementos of all the things we did together. Ticket from the zoo or Broadway show, leaf from a tree in the park we camped at, name cards from the social events, etc. She put them all in a book and gave it the aesthetic of Carl and Ellie’s Adventure Book from Up. She was going to show it to me once she ran out of pages.
I didn’t find out about it until we broke up.
50. Every morning my husband gets up first, which means he has the unenviable task of trying to wake me up. If I am in any way cold or chilly, he knows that I will burrow back into the duvet and attempt to hibernate. The coldest part of me is always my feet, so he started to carefully put socks on me every morning before waking me up. I can never fall asleep in socks, but now I wake up and he has carefully fitted me with a matching pair for that day. He also makes a point of picking out specific different designs each day, and sometimes will ask me if I liked his choice. 10/10 would husband again.