1. Forgive yourself for something you’re carrying. We all have way too much baggage, and it is too easy to wear your soul down to regrets and sorrow. It is healthy, and right, to feel remorse when you screw up. But it’s also healthy to let it go and unburden yourself.
2. Forgive someone else who let you down. Just like you deserve to forgive yourself, you also deserve to forgive someone else. Anger can be so toxic, and it can infiltrate your life and your happiness. If there is someone who truly feels the weight of what they did to you, let them know you forgive them. It doesn’t just make them feel better, it makes you feel better too.
3. Start making your bed every day. It sounds super little, but just having one small routine you keep will help you create order and peace in your life.
4. Take a risk. You don’t have to live every single second on the edge. You don’t need to go skydiving or quit your job to travel the world (you can if you want!). But you can find a way to push yourself just a tiny bit out of your comfort zone.
5. Reconnect with an old friend. Text someone you haven’t talked to in a long time, but still means a lot to you. If you have a good history, it will create a lot of positive energy to get back in touch!
6. Cut out a bad habit for a week. After the week, evaluate and see if you can do another week! Maybe this means cutting out alcohol, or nail-bitting, or procrastination! Prove to yourself that you can do it!
7. Read a whole book. Reading is good for all of us! It is both relaxing and exercises our mind. Find a book you are interested in and read it from start to finish. It doesn’t have to be some super serious book, anything you enjoy will do!
8. Go out of your way to help someone. There is so much negativity in the world, even the smallest gestures can lift everyone up! Try to find someone who needs a boost, and help them up. Maybe a friend needs a ride somewhere, or a stranger is a few dollars short for their grocery bill at the store. Regardless of how small, create some ripples of positivity.
9. Consider an issue from someone else’s perspective — even if you strongly disagree. Our world is so splintered and divided because we all think we are 100% right. Take a second to step back and *consider* an issue from the point of view of someone you disagree with.
10. Take a chance on someone (including yourself). Actually go on a date with the cute guy who asked you out, or just hang out at a bar with some casual acquaintances who invited you.
11. Try getting a full night’s sleep for an entire week and see how you feel. Don’t commit to doing it “forever” or never having a late night. But try giving your body a break and see if it feels significantly better.
12. Cut out toxic people. This shouldn’t be something that takes a whole year. Identify the people in your life who are pulling you down, and just let them go. It will be hard, sure, but they are just dead weight. Don’t let them dim your shine any longer.
13. Create goals. These could be goals for 2016, for two years down the road, or ten. Dare to set high expectations for yourself, and fight like hell to make them reality.