1. Your feelings aren’t always meant to be acted upon. If you miss someone, that doesn’t mean you should text them. It doesn’t mean you should give them another chance. It doesn’t mean you should forget about everything they put you through in the past. Instead of acting impulsively, you need to ask yourself whether they deserve to hear from you again, whether they earned another shot or whether your huge heart is getting in the way of your common sense.
2. Overthinking isn’t always your friend. Most of the time, it’s good to think things through before you make a decision. It’s helpful to consider the positive and negative outcomes of any situation. But love is messy. It requires risks. It involves unknowns. If someone treats you right and makes you feel like you’re walking on cloud nine, then you cannot allow yourself to overthink until you decide the relationship isn’t worthwhile. Sure, you could end up getting hurt in the end, but sometimes the risk is worth the reward.
3. You don’t have to make a decision right away. Give yourself some time to think things over. You don’t want to rush into a relationship, rush into a breakup, or rush into any other major change. You should give yourself a moment to breathe, a moment to wonder, a moment to analyze the situation at hand. You can’t put off making a decision forever, but you should at least give yourself a little time to figure out what is best for your own personal journey.
4. You can ask friends and family for advice — but the decision is ultimately up to you. You know your situation the best. Meanwhile, your loved ones are only going to know what you tell them. You might accidentally be leading them in a certain direction. You might be tricking them into giving you the answer you want to hear. But if you want to do the right thing for yourself, you have to be honest with yourself. You cannot let your heart or your head get in the way.
5. Your head and your heart should work as a team. You shouldn’t ignore what your heart is telling you because you feel like your emotions aren’t valid — and you shouldn’t ignore what your head is telling you because you’re obsessing over a certain someone, either. You should try to listen to both. Try to see both sides of the internal argument you’ve been having with yourself. Sometimes, your heart is going to win. Other times, your head is the one you should follow. It depends on the situation. It’s not going to be the same every time. Unfortunately, you’re going to have to figure out the answer on your own.
6. You’re going to figure things out eventually. Right now, you might be feeling conflicted. You might not know what is best for yourself. You might have no idea what you really want. But even if you make a mistake, even if you choose wrong, it’s okay. You’re going to have plenty of more chances in the future. This one decision isn’t going to wreck your life.