1. How much older you’re getting. Instead of freaking out about your age and worrying that you’re running out of time to reach certain milestones, you should appreciate the fact that you’re here. You’re alive. You have the potential to keep trying, to keep chasing after your goals, to keep putting down the building blocks to create your ideal life. Don’t waste that potential. Take advantage of every moment you’re given.
2. What toxic people think about you. You can’t believe all of the negative shit people have to say about you. After all, it’s not like you believe all of the positive shit either. Instead of worrying about what other people think of you — especially strangers who have no impact on your life or family members who you only see once a year — start worrying about your own opinion. They don’t matter. They don’t have to approve of everything you do, just like you don’t have to approve of everything they do. Live your own life. Don’t live it for them.
3. How many people want to sleep with you. It might raise your confidence to get thirty matches on a dating app in a night, but in the end, you’re only going to be settling down with one person. You’re only going to be making a commitment to one heart. Even though you might be playing the field right now, in the long-run, it doesn’t matter how many people are attracted to you. It doesn’t matter how many people want to date you. All that matters is that one person.
4. How many followers you have on social media. You’re going to go insane if you watch the number too closely. Just like the scale, it’s going to fluctuate constantly. You can’t overthink it if a selfie makes you lose three followers or another selfie makes you gain three followers. Just post the kind of content you would love to see on your own feed and stop caring about how much attention it gets. Social media is meant to be fun. It’s not meant to be stressful.
5. Looking like you have your shit together. Stop pretending everything is sunshine and roses when you’re falling apart on the inside. Think about the people you gravitate toward the most in this life. People who seem more like mannequins because their life always appears so pristine and perfect? Or the screwups who aren’t afraid to laugh at their mistakes and tell stories about their most embarrassing moments? You don’t have to be perfect to be the perfect friend. So stop pretending you know more than you do.
6. Your past mistakes. You can learn from them. You can grow from them. But after that, you should be done with them. Carrying around guilt over something you did years ago isn’t going to do you any good. Treating yourself like a punching bag isn’t going to make your wrongs right. There’s nothing you can do to change the past, so your energy is better spent on your future. Try to forgive yourself, accept yourself, and move forward as a better version of yourself.