1. “I can’t leave because we have too much history.” It doesn’t matter if you were college sweethearts or met when you were children in elementary school. You don’t owe your person anything, simply because you’ve known each other for most of your lives. You might feel like giving up on them would mean the last X amount of years were a waste, but that’s not the truth. The last handful of years taught you a lot. They brought you a lot of happiness and growth. But if you aren’t happy anymore, it’s time to leave.
2. “I can’t leave because he’s such a nice guy.” You’re not required to have feelings for a good guy. He might be perfect on paper, but you might not have any chemistry — and that’s okay. You’re allowed to leave if you aren’t feeling any sparks. Yes, there’s a chance you might break his heart, but it’s better to do it now than string him along and break it after he becomes even more invested in you.
3. “I can’t leave because it would make me look bad.” People like to gossip, so sure, they might have something to say about your relationship ending. But their opinions shouldn’t matter more than your own happiness. If your relationship isn’t going anywhere, then it’s okay to stop putting on a picture perfect charade. It’s okay to change your relationship status on social media. No one who actually matters is going to judge you for doing the right thing.
4. “I can’t leave because I don’t want to be single again.” Stop thinking of being single as the worst thing that could ever happen to you. It’s not nearly as bad as you remember. In fact, it’s much more relieving to be alone than in a relationship with someone who isn’t giving you everything you deserve.
5. “I can’t leave because I might not find anyone else to love me.” You’re beautiful. You’re talented. You’re a badass. One person already fell in love with you — and that wasn’t a one-time thing. You’re going to be in more relationships. You’re going to find more suitors. Guaranteed.
6. “I can’t leave because everything would change.” Unfortunately, long-term breakups are messy. If you’ve been with someone for a while, your lives are going to overlap. That means the end of your relationship might mean the end of some friendships. It might mean the end of your apartment lease. It might mean the end of your playtimes with his dog. But what you’re gaining will be worth everything you’re losing.
7. “I can’t leave because he’s the love of my life.” Love isn’t everything. Just because you have strong feelings for him doesn’t mean you’re supposed to spend forever with him. If he doesn’t respect you, you need to leave. If you have different ideas for the future, you need to leave. If love is the only reason you’re staying, you need to leave.
8. “I can’t leave because I would never survive without him.” It might take a while to get used to living life without someone you intended on staying with forever, but it will happen. You’ll get through it and will come out even stronger.