1. Your person has already given up on you. One person cannot make a relationship work. No matter how hard you fight for your relationship, it’s never going to last if you’re the only one putting in effort, the only one who cares whether or not you stay together.
2. You aren’t exactly sure why you’re staying. If you’re having trouble naming reasons why you’re dating this person — aside from having history with them and not wanting to hurt them — then you’re with the wrong person. When you’re with the right one, you won’t be able to stop gushing about them.
3. Too many things have changed. It’s natural for people to grow, to change, to turn into slightly different versions of themselves. But if you cannot stand being around this person anymore, if you cannot picture a future with this person anymore, if you cannot remember why you fell for this person anymore, then you shouldn’t date this person anymore.
4. Your person has crossed a line you consider unacceptable. If your person has done something you cannot find it in your heart to forgive and forget, then you would probably be better off apart. You don’t want to hold their mistake over their head forever. More than that, you don’t want to be in a relationship where you cannot trust your person, where you feel disrespected by your person, where you can hardly stand to look at your person.
5. Love is the only reason why you’re together. Sometimes, love isn’t enough to make a relationship work. If there isn’t any respect, if there isn’t any trust, if there aren’t any shared goals or morals, then you might be better off apart.
6. You keep having the same arguments again and again. If you keep having the same arguments but neither of you are willing to change or come to a compromise, then your relationship is never going to work out. You don’t want to get caught in a destructive cycle. If it’s the third time you’ve had the same exact fight and nothing has changed, then it might be time for you to leave.
7. Everyone is telling you to leave. Your loved ones aren’t always right about your relationship, so you shouldn’t always take their advice. But if every single person you know thinks you should put an end to your relationship, you should listen to their reasons why. You should consider whether they’re right about this.
8. Your fights have taken a physical turn. If your person has physically hurt you, then you shouldn’t give them another chance. You shouldn’t believe them when they say it’s never going to happen again. You shouldn’t continue fighting for your relationship because it is clearly toxic.
9. You don’t want to fight for them anymore. If this relationship is exhausting you, if it is causing too much drama, if it is making you miserable, then you are allowed to break up with your person. You shouldn’t feel bad about calling it quits. If it feels right to leave, then leave.