1. Confronting him about a problem. If you’re upset over how long it takes him to text back or how often he chooses his friends over you, you should feel comfortable talking to him about the issue. If he really wants to make things work with you, then you’ll be able to come to a compromise that fits both of your needs.
2. Letting him see you at your lowest. It shouldn’t matter if he sees you bawling your eyes out, if he sees you during a panic attack, or if he sees you during a temper tantrum. The saying is true — if he wants you at your best, he should be able to handle you at your worst.
3. Giving him special attention. If he likes you, then he’ll be excited to hear from you. He won’t call you clingy for sending two or three texts in a row. He’ll just be happy to see your name pop up on his phone screen.
4. Asking him to take a step forward. If he’s serious about you, then he shouldn’t run away when you ask him to meet your parents or to be your plus one for a wedding or to put an official label on your relationship. He’ll be eager to reach the next milestone.
5. Seeing you in your natural state. You shouldn’t have to spend hours getting ready in front of your mirror before you go out with him or send him a selfie. He should still think you’re beautiful in your pajamas with your wet hair and acne scarred skin. He should still think you’re beautiful even when you feel like you aren’t.
6. Talking about the future. If he wants to be with you for the rest of his life, then he won’t have a problem discussing where he wants to hold the wedding and how many kids he wants to have. He’ll be excited to share those plans with you.
7. Turning down sex. If he likes you for more than the curves of your body, then he’ll understand if you want to wait to get intimate. He’ll respect your choice and let you take your time.
8. Spending weeks away from each other. It shouldn’t matter if you spend a weekend or an entire month apart. If he’s your forever person, the distance won’t matter. It won’t convince him to cheat on you or to leave you. He’ll stick around, because you’re the only girl for him.
9. Oversharing. He shouldn’t care if you talk about how heavy your period is or how hairy your legs get when you forget to shave. He should want to know everything about you — even the things you usually keep a secret.
10. Asking questions. You shouldn’t be shy about asking who he’s been texting at the dinner table and why he came home so late from work. Your forever person will want to be open with you. He’ll be happy to answer any questions you have for him.
11. Requesting favors. If you ask him to take off of work for your birthday or pick up a box of tampons on his way home, he should want to do it. He should want to make you happy, even if he has to go out of his way to do so.
12. Being the first to say, “I love you.” If he’s the right one for you, then he loves you too, which means he’ll be happy to hear those three little words coming from your lips. And he’ll be happy to say them back.