1. He’s letting you decide what you want. He’s not blowing up your phone each night, begging you to take him back. He’s willing to wait for you to make a decision. He’s more concerned with your happiness than his happiness.
2. He’s finally ready to settle down. He’s gotten all the other girls out of his system. He doesn’t want to sleep around anymore. He doesn’t want to be a bachelor. He wants to be a boyfriend. Your boyfriend.
3. You honestly believe that your relationship will last a lifetime. Remember how hard it was to get over him? If you have a feeling that getting back together will only be temporary, you’re going to have to go through the pain of losing him all over again. So only take him back if you truly believe that this time will be different.
4. You’re willing to move past the past. If you’re still angry about what he did to you, if you still bring up his mistakes every chance you get, then your relationship will never last. You need to accept what happened and move on. If you can’t do that, then you can’t date him.
5. You see him for what he is. You realize he’s not perfect. That he has flaws. But you still want to be with him. You still love him as much as you did when you first met him.
6. You actually believe his apologies. You don’t think that he’s saying sorry just to please you. That he’ll go right back to acting like an asshole if you start dating again. You honestly believe that he feels bad about what he’s done. That he wants to make it up to you.
7. You’re happier with him. You would rather be with him than with any other boy. And you would rather be with him than be single. Even though there are times when he drives you crazy, overall he makes you a happier person. A better person.
8. He’s made an effort to change. Think about what caused your breakup. Was it his constant drinking? His fear of commitment? His friendship with an ex? Don’t take him back, unless whatever caused the breakup has been fixed. Otherwise, there’s going to be a repeat in history.
9. You want the same things. You both want (or don’t want) kids, to live in Cali, and to get married on the beach. Your goals for the future are identical.
10. Your brain and your heart are in total agreement. If your heart is begging you to take him back, but your brain is warning you against it, then it’s probably not the best idea. Don’t ignore what your body is telling you.
11. You’re ready to act as equals. He might do something special to get you back, but once you’re officially together again, you should act as equals. You shouldn’t expect him to constantly make up for his past mistakes by treating you like a queen while you treat him like the help. That’s just not fair.
12. He never did anything unforgivable. If you broke up over something like timing or distance, you might want to take him back. But don’t even think about taking him back if he did something toxic, like hit you or cheated on you with your best friend.
13. You know you won’t regret it. If you have a feeling that you’d regret walking away much more than you’d regret giving him a second chance, you might want to take that leap.