1. High expectations. If he really wants to be with you, he’ll rise to meet your expectations. He won’t try to get away with laziness. He’ll be willing to put in the effort to keep your relationship strong.
2. Your anxiety. If he’s the right one for you, he’ll help you calm down after you have a panic attack. He won’t blame you for freaking out. He won’t let your mental health put a barrier between you.
3. Your baggage. You’ve been lied to, led on, and cheated on. But if you’re meant to be with your boyfriend, you’ll be able to move past the pain your exes left you with. You’ll be able to start afresh, because you’ll trust that he won’t hurt you like everyone else did.
4. Your weirdness. The nutty things you say and do should make him love you more, not less. If he doesn’t like your quirks, then he doesn’t like you. So find someone that’s turned on by what a weirdo you are.
5. Your exes. If he’s your forever person, it won’t matter if his ex tries to sneak back into his life. She can’t steal him away without his permission. If he loves you, then he won’t be going back to her.
6. Your family. Your loved ones might be complete psychos, but if your boyfriend is serious about you, he’s not going to get scared off after meeting your nosy aunts and drunken uncles. He’ll love you, and your family, despite their insanity.
7. Your emotions. You shouldn’t hesitate to tell your partner how you’re feeling. If he’s your forever person, your relationship will only grow stronger by being open and honest. If he runs off after you tell him how you truly feel, then your relationship wasn’t stable enough to last long, anyway.
8. Your looks. If he leaves after you gain a few pounds, then he was obviously only with you for your body. If it was real love, he wouldn’t care about the number on the scale or how lazy you got with your wardrobe. He’d stick around.
9. Your opinions. You should be able to maintain a healthy relationship, even if you love pop and he loves screamo. You’ll just have to do some compromising when it comes to controlling the radio during road trips.
10. Financial trouble. Being broke will put added stress on your relationship. But if you really want your relationship to work, you’ll pinch pennies together. You’ll find a way to get through the rough times, because you’ll lend each other strength.
11. Heated arguments. You’ve heard about the importance of trust and communication. But forgiveness is just as important. Everyone’s going to screw up, even your perfect boyfriend. You have to be able to forgive him for the little things he’s done wrong, and choose to let go of the anger and resentment.
12. Time. No matter how many years go by, you’ll still feel a strong surge of love for them. You might not get butterflies whenever they walk in the room anymore, but you’ll still be convinced that they’re the one you’re meant to spend eternity with.