1. That life is a war you cannot win. Sure, life sends us hurdles that we sometimes don’t expect, but the difference between a strong heart and a weak mind is the thought that we can survive. That is was humans are known for, right? That will to survive, and even when the war-torn valleys within your heart feel like a battle unable to be won, you do have the strength to win.
2. That you’re the only one who understands what pain feels like. I was like this once, too. Struggling with mental health issues, I was once ignorant enough to believe that my struggles were all my own, but let me tell you this: you are not, and will never be, in it alone. I haven’t felt a greater sense of comfort all my life bigger than knowing that I wasn’t going through my struggles alone.
3. “I don’t have the power to change what’s hurting me.” That’s not true, my love. In fact, you are the only one in the world that has that power, and that’s one of the coolest things in the world, and one of the best qualities of us human beings. We can change anything we want. We don’t have to put up with anything that’s making us less than fulfilled.
4. “Love can fix everything.” Love is a beautiful thing, but it doesn’t always hold all the answers. Sometimes, life is ugly. It’s brutal. Sometimes, love doesn’t fix what’s truly broken inside. Maybe, just maybe, we need a little more than that.
5. “I deserve the pain of what happened to me.” You don’t. A lot of the time, we accept what we think we deserve, and if there’s one thing we struggle with, it’s the idea that we don’t deserve to struggle. We don’t deserve to be punished for the world’s cruel luck.
6. That our happiness is ruled by our success. We are plenty capable of being happy no matter what our circumstances. We don’t need anything fancy, we just need a little bit of love.
7. “It’s my fault that these horrible things happened to me.” Listen to me, it’s not your fault. It never was. Sometimes, the only way we can cope is to find somewhere to place blame. Sometimes, the only place is on ourselves, but that doesn’t mean that it’s where it belongs.
8. “I can’t change the world.” It only takes one person, and that could be you. How cool is that?