41 Of The Creepiest Unsolved Mysteries Of All Time

Settle in, this is a long one. These “scariest” unsolved mysteries are based on the opinions of the people over on r/unresolvedmysteries who know enough about unsolved cases at large to be experts on the creepiest ones. If you’re looking for a lengthy thread of bite-sized “true scary stories”, we’ve got one of those too.

The woman who recorded other people’s voices on her sleep app

Here’s how she describes what happened:

“This night I was sleeping in my bed – my 3 year old was with me that night as he is scared of the dark. It was just the two of us in the whole house. The next night I decided to go through and delete my recordings and saw this particular record. In it, you can here some clicks that start to get louder over the course of the recording. Eventually you can hear me say “What are you doing??” and immediately after there is a deep voice that says “Nothing”. The clicks become very loud at that point and at the very end of the recording you hear the same voice say “That’s them” (I think?). I am pretty creeped out by this. I don’t remember being awake that night. The only plausible explanation is that I answered my own sleeping talking but the voice doesn’t even sound like me or something I could emulate. It definitely doesn’t sound like a voice my preschooler could emulate, either. I have no idea what the clicks could be. I keep a fan going at night for white noise but the clicks sounds like they’re coming from right near my phone (which is placed right by me on my bedside table). I want to say that I’ve picked up the clicks a few times on recordings before but deleted them thinking it was nothing – this is the first time I’ve ever heard anything, though.”

Here is the audio of the recording. The woman has since moved to a new house, but one Redditer who followed up with the story said:

“I actually private messaged with the OP of the sleep app story. She was happy to say that things were going well in their new home, and her son was doing well. However, if you look at the more recently dated comments after the story was posted, OP says her son had started asking where “Ho” was and seeing “the black guy with no face.” OP and I exchanged some PMs about a year after their original post to discuss what could be going on, and apparently “Ho” followed them to their new home.”


Also known as “The Buzzer”, UVB-76 is a radio signal of unknown origin. No one knows what it’s purpose is or why it’s happening. They suspect it may be of Russian origin. Here’s what it sounds like:


“Last one: a somewhat bigger mystery, but truly terrifying. Dutroux is a well known Belgian child abuser that was caught in the 90’s. It turns out the circle of abuse is much bigger and influential than one can imagine. This is a very long and well documented read about how the investigation into child abuse is being hampered by government, police, upper class figures, etc. It takes a strong stomach to digest the witness accounts (highly nsfw) and a strong stomach to digest the injustice.” — IamScuzzlebut

The murder of Mark Kilroy


From Wikipedia:

He was taken by his abductors to a ranch where he was murdered in a human sacrifice ritual. Kilroy was killed with a machete blow and then had his brain removed and boiled in a pot. His killers then inserted a wire through his backbone, chopped off his legs, and buried him at the ranch along with 14 other people who had been killed there before him.

Jodine Serrin

From Reddit:

Serrin lived on her own, but depended on her family for help due to her mental challenges. Late in the evening of Valentine’s Day 2007, Jodine’s parents went to the condo they had purchased on Swallow Lane for their daughter and walked in on what they thought was an awkward situation. Art Serrin went to find his daughter in her bedroom, and saw a man having sex with her.

According to a 10News report, Serrin told the man to get dressed and then he and his wife, Lois, went to wait for what they expected to be an embarrassed couple to join them in the kitchen. After several minutes, Serrin returned to the bedroom and found his daughter murdered, having been beaten and strangled to death. The man had escaped, possibly through a back door.

In fact, as investigators later found, she had been dead for between 12 and 24 hours.

Dale Kerstetter


From Reddit:

At 11:00 PM on September 12, 1987, 50-year old Dale Kerstetter showed up to work the overnight shift as security guard at the Corning Glassworks plant in Bradford, Pennsylvania. Dale was a divorced father of six who worked at the plant for 29 years, but had recently been transferred from his position as a trades worker to a security guard, which involved him taking a pay cut of between $5,000-7,000 per year. At 7:00 AM the following morning, Dale’s relief arrived and discovered he was missing. Dale’s truck was still in the parking lot with the keys in the ignition. His daypack and a full carton of cigarettes were inside the truck, along with the holster for a .22 caliber gun he carried which was never found. Dale’s keys to the plant and a newspaper were found on a table in the cafeteria, along with his lunch pail, which still had all his food inside. A police dog was brought in and tracked Dale’s scent from the cafeteria to the second floor, but it came to an end at the plant’s glass furnace.

The security tape from that night was later checked. The plant had three security cameras and the feed would alternate between each camera at random intervals. The footage revealed an unidentified masked intruder walking through the plant at various points between midnight and 1:00 AM. In one of the shots, the intruder was seen meeting up with Dale in the back of the plant. They both walked past the security camera together, where Dale appeared to look up and stare directly at the camera before they disappeared out of frame. Dale did not show up in the security footage again, but one shot showed the intruder heading towards the glass furnace, the same area where the police dog tracked Dale’s scent. There was also a shot of the intruder wheeling a large bag through the plant on a manual forklift. It was soon discovered that $250,000 worth of platinum lining had been stolen from the furnace.

On the surface, it appeared the intruder had forced Dale to escort him to the area containing the platinum before he subsequently murdered him and disposed of his body. However, Corning’s management believed that Dale was actually involved in the theft.

When Dale walked through the plant and stared directly into the security camera, some people interpreted this as a signal for help, but Corning thought Dale might have been taunting them about his crime. At the time, Dale was in debt and unhappy that his employer had cut his pay and given him a security position, so Corning believed Dale willingly escorted the intruder to the furnace, helped him steal the platinum, and then skipped town with his share of the profits. Of course, Dale’s family did not believe he would get involved in anything illegal and abandon his children, so they feared he was an innocent victim of foul play. Whatever the truth, there has been no trace of Dale Kerstetter in nearly 30 years.

The Circleville Letters

A woman and her husband in Circleville, Ohio started getting creepy letters. One day, the husband received a letter and got riled up enough that he got his gun and left the house. He was letter found dead in a car crash, his gun had been fired. The husband’s brother was eventually charged with the crime, but he began receiving the same letters once he was in prison.

Here’s a nice write-up on the whole store from The Line-up.

The Sodder Children


From Wikipedia:

On Christmas Eve, December 24, 1945, a fire destroyed the Sodder home in Fayetteville, West Virginia, United States. At the time, it was occupied by George Sodder, his wife Jennie, and nine of their ten children. During the fire, George, Jennie, and four of the nine children escaped. The bodies of the other five children were never found. The Sodders believed for the rest of their lives that the five missing children survived.

Dave Bocks

A factory worker at a nuclear power plant went missing during his shift. Many people suspect foul play as he may have been a whistle blower for illegal activities taking place at the plant.

Blind River Killer

I remember this as the scariest episode of Unsolved Mysteries in which an elderly couple on a cross country road trip stopped at a rest area to sleep for the night. In the middle of the night attacked the couple and shot and killed a bystander to came to their aid. He drove off in a blue van and was never caught.

East Area Rapist / The Original Nightstalker

American Law Enforcement

Editor’s note: This case has been solved!!! Joseph James DeAngelo is responsible for these crimes.

A serial rapist and killer who raped at least 50 women in northern California in the 70’s. He has never been identified.

A few things that make this killer a bit creepier than the rest:

1. The East Area Rapist sent letters and drawings to newspapers in the area taunting citizens. Here’s a map he drew of what is believed to be his “ideal” suburban neighborhood stalking grounds:

Sacramento Police Department

2. He would call and taunt his victims or intended victims. He called one woman he raped to wish her a merry Christmas, saying:

Merry Christmas, it’s me again! (hangs up)

You can listen to some of the phone calls here, but please be warned, these are very disturbing!!

3. There was a town meeting to discuss the rapist/killer at large. During the meeting one man stood up to say that the East Area Rapist could never harm his family because he wouldn’t “let” something like that happen to his wife. His wife was latter attacked leading people to believe the actual East Area Rapist attended the town meeting. A photo from that meeting exists.

Keddie Cabin Murders


From Wikipedia:

Glenna “Sue” Sharp, 36, and her five children had been renting the cabin since November 1980. At approximately 7:45 AM on the morning of April 12, Sheila Sharp, upon returning from the sleepover next door, discovered the tied-up bodies of Sue, John and Dana in the home’s living room. Plumas County Sheriff’s deputies later determined Tina Sharp was missing from the location. The murders have been commented upon for their particular viciousness.

After approximately 4,000 man-hours spent on the case, it grew cold but, in 1984, the cranium portion of a skull was recovered near Feather Falls in neighboring Butte County, a distance of roughly 63 miles (2 hours 12 minutes) from Keddie. Butte County Sheriff’s Office released both the original and back-up copy of the audio recording of the ‘anonymous call’ to an undisclosed member of law enforcement.

As of May 2017, no arrests have been made in connection with the Keddie murders, although two suspects who had criminal records, now deceased, have been proposed. In 2004, Cabin 28 was demolished.

There’s been a recent break in the case that, for many, may explain what happened:

On March 24, 2016, a hammer matching the description of a hammer suspect Martin Smartt said he lost shortly before the murders was taken into evidence by Plumas County Special Investigator Mike Gamberg. Sheriff Hagwood stated, “the location it was found… It would have been intentionally put there. It would not have been accidentally misplaced.

The Mothman

From Reddit:

The Mothman sightings of 1966 was always a favorite story of mine and still is this day. If you go down the rabbit hole there are soooo many weird pieces including MIB showing up to this tiny town. Some of it might have been mass hysteria but damn if it isn’t a wild ride until the very end.

Morgan Nick


From Wikipedia:

On June 9, 1995, Morgan Nick and her mother, Colleen Nick, went to a Little League baseball game in their town of Alma, Arkansas. At around 10:30 p.m., Morgan asked her mother if she could catch lightning bugs with her friends. At first, her mother was uncertain, but eventually let her go. She was last seen at 10:45 p.m. by her friends, emptying sand out of her shoes alone near her mother’s car while her group of friends emptied their shoes a few dozen feet away. Morgan’s friends reported seeing a “creepy” man talking to Morgan as she was putting her shoes back on.

When the game ended shortly thereafter, Morgan’s friends returned without her. They told Colleen that Morgan was at her car, but when Colleen returned to the car, Morgan was not there. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Pedro Lopez

A Columbian criminal known as the “Monster of the Andes” is out of prison after serving 13 years of a 16 year sentence for murdering as many as 300 little girls. No one knows where he is now.

Brian Shaffer

The medical student who went to a local bar for a drink and was never seen again. Security footage showed him entering the bar, but not leaving. He was by all accounts happy and had plans to propose to his girlfriend the following week. He hasn’t been seen since that night.

Hinterkaifeck murders

Andreas Biegleder

From Wikipedia:

A few days prior to the crime, farmer Andreas Gruber told neighbors about discovering footprints in the snow leading from the edge of the forest to the farm, but none leading back. He also spoke about hearing footsteps in the attic and finding an unfamiliar newspaper on the farm. Furthermore, the house keys went missing several days before the murders. None of this was reported to the police prior to the attack.

Six months earlier, the previous maid had left the farm, claiming that it was haunted; the new maid, Maria Baumgartner, arrived on the farm on the day of the attack and was killed hours later.

Exactly what happened on that Friday evening cannot be said for certain. It is believed that the older couple, as well as their daughter Viktoria, and her daughter, Cäzilia, were all lured into the barn one by one, where they were killed. The perpetrator(s) then went into the house where they killed two‑year‑old Josef, who was sleeping in his cot in his mother’s bedroom, as well as the maid, Maria Baumgartner, in her bedchamber.

On the following Tuesday, April 4, neighbors came to the farmstead because none of its inhabitants had been seen for a few days.

Dorothy Jane Scott

From Wikipedia:

Dorothy Jane Scott disappeared on May 28, 1980, in Anaheim, California. She had driven two co-workers to the hospital after one had been bitten by a spider. While they were waiting for a prescription to be filled, Scott went to get her car and bring it around to meet them. Her car approached them, but it sped away; neither could see who was driving as its headlights had blinded them. They reported her missing a couple of hours later, after not hearing from her. In the preceding months, Scott had been receiving anonymous phone calls from a man who had reportedly been stalking her. He had threatened to get her alone and “cut [her] up into bits so no one will ever find [her]”.

Dyatlov Pass Incident

Soviet investigators

From Reddit:

The Dyatlov Pass Incident is the unsolved disappearance of nine hikers in the Ural mountains in Russia in 1959, and subsequent discovery. There’s a whole lot of details to this case which are mentioned in the link, but for a brief summary:

Ten experienced ski hikers embark upon a trek through a mountain pass that locals describe as “Devil’s Pass.”

One of the hikers returns on his own due to illness. The others continue ahead. After the party don’t return when expected, a search party is sent out into the mountains to look for them. Their campsite was eventually found, abandoned and slashed open from the inside, and the bodies were eventually all found at various points nearby in various unusual states, including some naked or undressed, some with their heads basically smashed in (which later investigations showed were impossible to have been done by humans).

This is a conspiracy theorist’s wet dream, with details that don’t add up, Cold War/KGB cover-ups, UFO sightings, cryptozoology (yeti theories), weapons testing, nuclear radiation emanating from the bodies, stories of local savage tribes etc. But even without all that, it’s still a pretty eerie story on its own.

Dyatlov Pass is a total rabbit hole and it’s one of my personal favorite mysteries.

Laureen Rahn

From Reddit:

14-year-old Laureen Rahn was last seen in her apartment in Manchester, New Hampshire on April 26th, 1980. She spent the evening drinking beer with a male and female friend while her mother Judith was away at a tennis tournament. At some point, the boy heard voices in the hallway and left through the back door, thinking Judith was coming home. He stated he heard Laureen lock the door behind him.

When Judith finally returned at midnight, she found the building completely dark because the light bulbs on all three floors had been unscrewed. She checked Laureen’s room and thought she saw Laureen asleep on the bed. In the morning, however, this turned out to be Laureen’s friend, who said that she had last seen Laureen going to sleep on the couch. Laureen’s clothes and new sneakers were in the living room, and the back door was open.

The police investigation went nowhere until Judith looked at her phone bill and discovered she had been charged for three phone calls made from Santa Monica, California on October 1st, 1980, three months after Lauren went missing. Two of these calls were placed from a Santa Monica motel to another motel in Santa Ana. The third call was to a teen sexual assistance hotline run by a plastic surgeon. Authorities in Santa Monica questioned this surgeon, and he denied knowing anything about Laureen.

Judith hired her own investigator in 1985, who questioned the doctor again. This time he altered his story and said that his wife was sometimes visited by runaway girls (!?) and that one of these girls may have been from New Hampshire. He also believed that a colleague of his wife’s named Annie Sprinkle knew more about these runaways. Authorities looked into this and found that Sprinkle was involved in the pornography industry, but nothing was found linking her to Laureen.

Another investigator traveled to Santa Monica in 1986 and learned that the two hotels may have been used by a child pornographer named “Dr. Z.”, but authorities couldn’t find a connection between “Dr. Z” and the doctor who ran the hotline.

For a year after the disappearance, Judith reported getting regular phone calls at around 3:45 a.m., but there would be nothing but silence on the line when she answered. She received similar calls around the Christmas holidays for several years until she finally changed her number. According to Charley Project, a childhood friend of Laureen’s received a call from someone claiming to be her in 1986. His mother answered the phone, but unfortunately the article doesn’t elaborate on what the caller said.

In the previous thread about this, the OP quoted someone from a forum post who claims that her mother was the friend who was with Laureen when she vanished. Her mother said that they were hanging out with two guys that day (not one as stated in Charley Project) and that Laureen may have left with one of them. The guy who left through the back door committed suicide in 1985 and is not considered a suspect.

It is also worth nothing that other women, Denise Denault and Rachael Garden, of similar physical appearance to Laureen, disappeared from the same area within a six-week time period. Their cases are also unsolved and have never been linked.

The “30 Minutes or Less” murder

From Wikipedia:

Brian Douglas Wells was an American pizza delivery man who was killed by a remotely controlled bomb fastened to his neck, under coercion from the maker of the bomb. After he was apprehended by the police for robbing a bank, the bomb was detonated.

“Down the hill”

From Wikipedia:

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail “Abby” Williams and Liberty “Libby” German were discovered on an American hiking trail in Delphi, Indiana, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage due to the fact that a photo and audio recording of a man believed to be girls’ murderer was found on the cell phone of German. Despite the photo and audio recording of the suspect being released to the public by police, and an estimated 18,000 tips being sent to police, no arrests have been made in the case.

One of the girl’s Snapchat photo:

The audio:

Lars Mittank

From Reddit:

a case about a 28 year old man from Germany, Lars Mittank, who visited Bulgaria with his friends. This place in Bulgaria is very famous for young people from Germany and England, same as Mallorca or Ibiza.

Mittank got involved into a fight and hurt his ear. Something that happens always at those places where many young people are partying.

He stayed there and enjoyed the rest of his holidays with his friends. When they had to leave though, the doctor said he can not use the airplane because of his ear. He decided to stay in Bulgaria and rented a room in a hostel while his friends left.

He called at night his mother and said he fears for his life.

Here is a footage from the airport. Mittank wanted to leave again and catch his next flight. He went to the doctors office though, with all his stuff, suitcase etc. After that, he runs out from the doctors office.

People outside saw him how he climbed over a fence and disappeared in a nearby forrest.
Till today, no one knows what happened or where he is. His family is still searching for him, there is even a facebook page.

Elisa Lam

From Wikipedia:

Her disappearance had been widely reported; interest had increased five days prior to her body’s discovery when the Los Angeles Police Department released video of the last time she was known to have been seen, on the day of her disappearance, by an elevator security camera. In the footage, Lam is seen exiting and re-entering the elevator, talking and gesturing in the hallway outside, and sometimes seeming to hide within the elevator, which itself appears to be malfunctioning. The video went viral on the Internet, with many viewers reporting that they found it unsettling. Explanations ranged from claims of paranormal involvement to bipolar disorder from which Lam suffered; it has also been argued that the video was altered prior to release.

The circumstances of Lam’s death, when she was found, also raised questions, especially in light of the Cecil’s history in relation to other notable deaths and murders. Her body was naked with most of her clothes and personal effects floating in the water near her. It took the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office four months, after repeated delays, to release the autopsy report, which reports no evidence of physical trauma and states that the cause of death was accidental. Guests at the Cecil, now re-branded as Stay on Main, sued the hotel over the incident, and Lam’s parents filed a separate suit later that year; the latter was dismissed in 2015.

Paula Jean Weldon

From Reddit:

Paula Jean Weldon was a sophomore at Bennington College in Bennington, Vermont in the fall of 1946. On December 1st, she told her roommate, Elizabeth Johnson, that she was “through with studies; I’m taking a long walk” . Dressed in a red parka coat with a fur lined hood, blue jeans, Top-Sider shoes with thick soles, and a gold Elgin wristwatch with a black band, she made no indication she planned on staying gone for very long.

She was supposed to walk part of Vermont’s Long Trail. Danny Fager, who owned a gas station near the college gates, said he spotted Paula. He said he had seen her run up then down the side of the gravel pit near the entrance of the college around 2:45 P.M.
15 minutes late, Louis Knapp claimed to have picked up a young girl matching Paula’s description on Route 67A and let her out on Route 9, near the Long Trail. Just after 4 P.M., she was spotted by several people in Bickford Hollow, seemingly headed toward the trail.
When Paula did not come home later that night, Elizabeth was not yet worried, and did not warn anyone. The next morning when Paula had still not come back by the next morning, she contacted College President Lewis Webster Jones. Jones then phoned Paula’s parents to ask if she had gone home for the weekened.

Mrs. Welden collapsed with worry. Her father, W. Archibald Welden immediately left the family home in Stamford, Connecticut. He helped organize a massive search party, but their search turned up empty. He then called the New York and Connecticut state police forces, as VT did not have a state police force at the time.

Days passed and Paula was still missing. Then, a waitress in Fall River, Massaschusetts claimed to have served dinner to a “disturbed” women fitting Paula’s description. Strangely, after hearing this, Mr. Welden vanished for 36 hours. After his return, people began to suspect that he had something to do with his daughter’s disappearance. It came to light that Mr. Welden did not approve of a boy Paula had been seeing. He claimed this boyfriend had to be the responsible party, but his only proof came from a clairvoyant. He then began to trash the police for their lack of professionalism and lack of records. Mr. Welden soon returned to his home in Stamford.

Poor weather eventually halted the search for Paula, but 9 years later, a lumberjack came forward saying he knew where her body was buried. After being questioned, he eventually admitted making it up for publicity. Then, in 1968, a skeleton was found. It was later determined it was far too old to be Paula.

There have been many theories as to what happened to Paula that fateful December day. Did she simply get lost in the woods and die in the elements or did she run off with her boyfriend? Or did the so called Bennington Triangle, where 5 people vanished between 1945 and 1950, have something to do with it?

Sadly, as more and more time passes, it seems very unlikely the case of what happened to Paula Jean Welden will ever be solved.

Grave Robbing for Morons

From Reddit:

In the early 1990s, a homemade VHS circulated around called “Grave Robbing for Morons”. It features a young man explaining how to rob graves without getting caught, what bones are most valuable, and other grave robbing “tips.” In the video he shows what appears to be an actual human skull that he’s stolen and at the end he gives the nicknames of himself and his grave robbing crew: “Anthony, “Gino, “Taco”, and “Pucci” and vows to continue robbing graves for the fun of it. To this day, no one knows who made this video or who the narrator is. There is a site dedicated to finding out the origin of the video and the identity of the narrator, but they don’t have any additional information to add.

Because of the over-the-top nature of some of the advice, some believe that the video is an act intended to cash in on the pseudo-reality television craze that was going on thanks to things like Faces of Death. But others seem to think that at the very least the narrator has robbed graves, and that this could be a “legit” (i.e. not faked) video.

Kathryn Ott

From Reddit:

This missing person’s case does not have much coverage and I am hoping to bring some interest back to this 3 year old unresolved disappearance.

In 2014, Kathryn Gayle Ott was 56 years old. She was 62-64 inches tall and weighed around 125-140 pounds. Kathy had brown eyes, that may appear hazel and wore eyeglasses. She avoided driving at night. She underwent a hysterectomy in 2013 that left her with an abdominal scar. She had a bad left knee cap with noticeable scarring from where a wire was placed to keep the knee together. She had been losing her blonde, graying hair and wore a wig. Her family believes she had been recently diagnosed with a serious medical condition in 2014, although she had not disclosed any details of an illness to them.

Kathy packed up her things and left her husband at their home in Lapeer, Michigan, in May 2014 after receiving social security disability with back pay. CORRECTION: She received supplemental security income with back pay. She drove her 2003 gray Chevrolet Impala with Michigan tag 2JS N90 to her son’s home in Gulf Shores, Alabama arriving in the end of May 2014.

On June 17th, 2014, she left Alabama after finding out she would not be able to receive her SSI checks. Her wig was left behind at her son’s home. According to family, a missing person’s report was filed and her children have not spoken to her since she left Gulf Shores.

But in late August 2014, Kathy called her father from St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital in Murfreesboro, Tennessee where she was receiving treatment for unknown reasons. This is the last time anyone heard from or saw Kathy.

Her NamUs case file has Murfreesboro Police Department as the investigating agency and her missing person’s report was filed February 27th, 2015.

What did Kathy do for 2 months with no incoming money? How did she end up in Murfreesboro?

Where is Kathryn Ott?

Jessica Haddix

From Reddit:

Jessica Haddix, 29, went missing in late April of 2009 from the Perry County area of Kentucky. In early May of the same year, her body was found in the Knott County area on an old strip mining area. She was wrapped in a tarp and stuffed in a drain pipe.
I don’t think they ever released her cause of death, but IIRC she was killed around the same time she was reported missing.

She was last seen arguing with her ex-husband, who she had been living with. Jessica had two kids, one with this ex. She was reportedly threatening to leave him and was planning on taking their son with her. Her ex was also seemingly abusive. Jessica had even showed up to her daughter’s soccer game with a black eye on time.

After she was last seen, her ex-husband was seen on camera using her food stamp card at a local grocery. Her car was found not far from his house.

A local woman who did Jessica’s taxes tried calling her, not knowing that Jessica was already missing and presumably dead. She was calling to inform Jessica that she needed to come in and sign some papers. Jessica’s ex-husband answered the phone and simply said Jessica was not there, and hung up.

After her body was found, her ex-husband received custody of their son. The woman who tried calling Jessica reported the phone call to the police, and they said they would look into it. They never followed up with woman.

Most people are convinced her ex-husband killed her to stop her from taking their son.

His parents were well known, and had many connections in the community. The investigation into her death was virtually non-existent, and it seems to point to a cover up by the local PD. It seems plausible, because how do you put no effort into what seems to be a murder that seems easily solvable? No DNA tests were ran, ex-husband has no alibi, no arrests were made and nobody was thoroughly questioned. So was it shotty, inexperienced officers? Or a cover up?

Her daughter was barely 9 years old and her son wasn’t even a toddler when their mother was murdered. They had to grow up without a mom. Jessica and her family deserve justice.

Missy Bevers

From Reddit:

On April 18th, 2016, 45 year old fitness instructor, Terri Bevers (who often went by the name Missy) was brutally murdered inside Creekside Church located in Midlothian, Texas in the early hours of the morning.

At the time, she was getting preparations ready for a fitness class — Camp Gladiator — before her students were to arrive at 5 in the morning. Once class was soon to begin, that’s when Missy’s students discovered her lifeless body. Her death was caused by puncture wounds to the head and chest.

As the investigation went underway, the police discovered surveillance footage [inside the church] with the suspect dressed in tactical gear [SWAT]. This person was dressed to the nine, from the vest, pants, boots and even a helmet, along with a hammer that was used for Missy’s murder.

This is where things became peculiar. Whomever this POI is, they had a very unorthodoxed and unnatural posture/stance, especially when walking aimlessly. Whether this was intentional or not, it cannot be confirmed.

Nevertheless, this footage did allow the police to build a timeline of events.

Surveillance shows the suspect inside walking around casually and opening the many doors. Not only that, this incident took place at approximately 4:15 in the morning, just 45 minutes before Missy’s class was to start.

Although presumed to be male, officers are still unsure on the gender of this individual. Subsequently, investigators started to look into Missy’s personal life. Due to search warrants the police were able to find — possible — motives.

Missy was a mother of three kids and having a lot of troubles financially and with her marriage, specifically on her part with unfaithfulness. Texts and other forms of messages found her being flirtatious with another male(s?). With that being uncovered, police finally had their biggest break in the case, yet unfortunately that avenue didn’t provide any substantial clues that would help determine Missy’s killer.

Missy’s husband, Brandon, told police he strongly believes that the murderer is a female and knew her on some form of personal basis. Furthermore, he suggests that this unidentified person attempted to make this tragedy look like a burglary gone wrong, mainly due to surveillance showing this individual opening doors and breaking glass windows.

The strangeness of this case didn’t stop there, however. A few days after the murder had happened, Missy’s father-in-law, Randy Bevers, went to the dry cleaners bringing in a women’s XXL long sleeve shirt covered in blood. He told the employees that it was merely from a Chihuahua dog that was recently injured and taken to a vet.

Out of suspicion, employees contacted the police and the shirt was subjected to DNA testing for evidence. Nonetheless, the vet was able to confirm this incident. Although the shirt became ruled out, investigators still had their eye on Randy.

More interestingly enough, Randy, the father-in-law, is roughly the same height and weight of the stranger captured on surveillance. While this crime was making its coverage on various television news channels, the family of Missy were brought into the public eye.

During a particular broadcast, the father-in-law was interviewed. As such, many people noticed that his demeanor was slightly different in terms of emotion. Not only that, the way Randy walked was practically identical to the POI in the surveillance footage.
Eight months has since passed by and despite all of this information, the case is still unsolved as of today, December 28th, 2016, and no updates have been made that’s been released to the public. Missy’s murderer is still free.

I think this case deserves a lot more attention than it’s receiving. Whether the killer is a male or female, I cannot say for certain. That being said, in my eyes, this case should be solvable. I can’t fathom the notion of this simply being an act of sheer randomness.

To me, it was methodical, deliberate, and personal, with the killer knowing Missy on a level of friendship or simply acquaintances in one way or another. This unidentified person had an idea of Missy’s schedule and planned their attack accordingly. I’m hopeful this case will be solved soon.

More footage of a strange vehicle driving around the area before the murder:

Here is a chilling comparison to the gait of the person on surveillance footage and Missy’s father in law.

Gareth Williams

A spy who was found dead locked inside a gym bag in his own apartment.

Jennifer Kesse

From Wikipedia:

Jennifer Kesse was last seen on January 23, 2006, at approximately 6pm, leaving her place of employment, Westgate Resorts, in Ocoee, Florida. That evening she made several calls to family and friends; the last call around 10 p.m. was to her boyfriend. Typically, Jennifer would call or text her boyfriend every morning on her drive to work to talk and wish him a good day. On the morning of January 24, Jennifer never called or sent a text message. Any call to Jennifer’s phone went directly to voice-mail. When Jennifer failed to arrive at work that morning, her employer contacted her parents, who immediately made a two-hour drive from their home to her residence. Her parents noticed that her car was missing, but upon entering her condo, they saw nothing that looked out of the ordinary. Evidence at her residence, including a wet towel and clothes laid out, indicated that Jennifer was at home the morning of January 24 and had showered and dressed for work.

Alistair Wilson

From Reddit:

Alistair Wilson, he was shot on his door step in Nairn, Scotland in 2004. His wife answered the door to a small, stocky man who asked for her husband by name. Once Alistair got to the door the man handed him an envelope, which Alistair took inside for a brief moment and then came back out and was shot dead by the unidentifed man. Who took the envelope with him.

The silent twins

From Reddit:

June and Jennifer Gibbons were identical twins born to a Caribbean couple in 1963. The family moved to Haverfordwest, Wales, shortly after the children’s birth.
From the time they learned to speak, June and Jennifer had a particular high-speed patois that made it difficult for people to understand them. Being the only black children at their school, they were frequently bullied by their peers. The bullying led to their special language becoming even more irregular, to the point where no one could understand what they said.

At 14 they were sent to separate boarding schools, to encourage them to thrive on their own. Both girls became catatonic and were quickly reunited. Following their reunion, they spent several years locked in their room, playing with dolls, putting on operas for one another, and writing.

They wrote several short stories that they self-published. The stories tend to revolve around criminality and sex. After the stories failed to garner any attention, they left the confines of their room and started living in the real world. They continued to speak with no one but each other. They started committing crimes such as arson, theft, and assaulting one another. A judge ruled that they need to be committed, and they were sent to Broadmoor Hospital, where they remained for 14 years.

In 1993 it was decided that the twins would be transferred to Caswell Clinic, a lower-security facility. When the twins arrived at Caswell, Jennifer was found to be unresponsive. She was rushed to the hospital but later pronounced dead. The cause of death was acute myocarditis or a sudden inflammation of the heart. No drugs or poisons were found in her system.

A few days after Jennifer’s death, June was reported to say, “I’m free at last, liberated, and at last Jennifer has given up her life for me.”

Bill & Dorothy Wacker

From Reddit:

Bill and Dorothy Wacker lived in a small town in Stark County, Ohio in the same house they have lived in for most of their 48 years of marriage. Despite being quiet, unassuming people, they’ve been subject to a campaign of harassment which began in 1984. On January 16, 1985, their home was ransacked. Though this had happened twice before, Bill informed the sheriff this time. In July of that year, Dorothy was home alone, recovering from heart surgery, when she heard a knock on the door. She didn’t recognize the visitor but allowed him in to use her phone, as he told her that his car broke down somewhere down the road where she couldn’t see it. After making the call and saying goodbye, she believed he had left. However, he was actually still in the house and managed to sneak up behind her and knock her out with a blow to the head. She woke up bound and gagged on the kitchen floor. She managed to crawl to an open window and alert her neighbors, who called emergency services. She was not seriously injured from the ordeal, but Bill returned home to find some possessions stolen: a .22 caliber revolver, an antique watch, a movie camera, and a radio scanner. In the dining room, the message “cheaper, but will do” was scrawled in crayon on the wall. About four months after the assault, Bill found the revolver on the front porch, wrapped in a plastic shopping bag. Over time, the other three objects were quietly returned as well. Notes left by harasser Notes left by the harasser The harasser began calling the house, sometimes threatening them with violence and sometimes simply breathing deeply. Changing their phone number several times failed to make the calls stop. The harassment began to escalate. Occasionally after dark, they would hear a series of banging on the side of their house, though they never saw or heard anything unusual when they’d check outside. Eventually, they put up a security light but later found a note on their front porch saying “your lightz are a laugh.” Periodically, notes began appearing on the front porch, threatening and mocking them. Police noted that the uneven, jagged style of the writing appeared to be due to someone using their non dominant hand to write, as if to conceal their handwriting style. No fingerprints have ever been found on the notes. On the night of October 27, 1993, another attack on Dorothy sent her to the hospital with skull lacerations. Police searched the neighborhood and questioned residences but failed to find any clues or witnesses.

Why would someone stalk and attack this old couple? What are your thoughts and theories?

Candace Hiltz

From Reddit:

Candace Hiltz was a seventeen year old single mother, a junior at Brigham Young University and a newly accepted student to be at Stanford Law School. She dreamed of becoming a Supreme Court Justice. She had a brilliant level of intelligence, a ferociously protective personality and a great affinity for the law. All of that was destroyed when she was brutally murdered. Her family sought answers, but ultimately discovered that the men charged with solving her murder may have in fact been involved in it.

On August 10th, 2006, a Deputy from the Fremont County Sheriff’s Department in Colorado arrived at the Hiltz family home. He questioned Dolores Hiltz in regard to the whereabouts of her son, James. Sometime during the questioning, Dolores’ daughter Candace became angry by his demeanor and told him to leave. The Deputy threatened to arrest Candace, who then threatened to expose him for taking bribes from local drug dealers.

Three days later, the Hiltz family dog went missing. It was later found tied to a tree and had been killed with a hatchet or small ax. Two days later, on August 15th, Dolores left the home to run some errands. She arrived home three hours later and found her granddaughter unsupervised and crying in her crib. There were pools of blood on the floor and drag marks. Dolores made the grisly discovery of Candace’s body. She had been shot multiple times, wrapped in a green comforter and shoved beneath a bed.

The investigation was shoddy from the beginning, with the lead investigator being the same Deputy who had the verbal altercation with Candace just days earlier. The crime scene wasn’t protected and sealed, evidence was left behind and the prime suspect was Candace’s brother, James. After he was apprehended, he was charged with for breaking into a home and stealing some items, but not the murder of his sister. Over the next ten years, no new leads were developed nor evidence discovered. The Hiltz family and the Fremont County Sheriff’s Department engaged in a rather public exchange of contradictory statements.

Candace’s autopsy showed she had been shot by two to three different weapons and at least two assailants as several shots were projected into her front and back simultaneously. However, there were several errors and contradictions in the report. Then, out of nowhere, a man who purchased an abandoned storage unit discovered vital pieces of evidence related to the murder which had been stolen from evidence and kept there but the Deputy who ran the entire investigation, the very one who had that altercation with Candace.

Theories began to build up accusing the Sheriff’s department of a cover up and even of being complicit in the murder itself. The lead investigator retired amid a torrent of accusations, and just months after, was brought up on charges for his mishandling of evidence as well as tampering with official paperwork.

Was Candace Hiltz murdered in a random act of violence? Did the father of her daughter lash out and take her life? Did her brother James lose control and murder his own sister? Or did the lead investigator play a much more vital role in the very murder he was investigating?

Nacole Smith


From Reddit:

On June 7, 1995, 14 year old Nacole Smith left her home in Deerfield Apartments in Southwest Atlanta to walk to school with her sister and a friend when she forgot her book report. She left her friends and took a shortcut through the woods back to her home when she was attacked by a man who assaulted her and shot her. Security guards in the area found her at 9:20 AM but her killer was long gone.

Several years later on June 20, 2004, a 13 year old girl was preparing for Father’s Day in East Point, Georgia. She was lured by a man into the woods on Connally Drive where he then assaulted her. She was able to escape and get help. DNA linked this man to the 1995 murder of Nacole Smith. This crime occurred 3 miles away from the first.

The second victim provided investigators with a description of the man. The black man appeared to be in his late 20s to early 30s, was 5-feet-10 inches tall and weighed approximately 190 pounds. He had a medium complexion, a gap in his front teeth, and was wearing round, gold-framed glasses, according to police.

In the “On the Case” episode, the detectives working on the case stated that they believe the man is someone from the area. The detectives were able to obtain school records for the day of Nacole’s murder and they were able to narrow down the male students who were absent from high school that day. One man named Steven Boris (sp?) piqued their interest because he was arrested for statutory rape and false imprisonment. They were able to interview him and he willingly offered up his DNA. His DNA did not match.

It’s really scary that this man has never been caught in all these years. I assume he didn’t stop after the second crime unless her escaping spooked him. The detectives seem convinced that the man is someone in the area but what’s the likelihood he’s not from the area? He’s pretty distinctive looking (if the sketch is accurate) so I don’t see how he could go unnoticed in the area.

Relisha Rudd

From Reddit:

Relisha Rudd is a young African American girl who disappeared from Washington DC in approximately 2014. Relisha Rudd stayed at a homeless shelter in DC with her family where her mother, Shamika Young, handed over her daughter (allegedly) to Kahlil Malik Tatum, the janitor there. The last day Relisha Rudd was seen alive was March 1, 2014. Due to many missed absences from her school, a school counselor calls DC Child & Family Services Agency to inquire about Relisha’s repeated absences as she had missed more than 30 days. Shamika Young, excused her absences by noting that Relisha was ill per “Dr. Tatum”.


February 26, 2014, Relisha is seen walking toward a room in the Holiday Inn Express on Bladensburg Road, NE.

March 1, 2014: Last day Relisha was seen alive. There are no other confirmed sightings of Relisha or Tatum together after this date

On March 19, 2014 a social worker calls, Tatum in order to set up a meeting, however Tatum does not show. The social worker finds out that “Dr. Tatum” is actually a janitor.

On this day DC police begin a missing-person investigations. Around 9 PM an officer tries to call Tatum’s cell however it is powered down and never gain activated.

On March 20, 2014 somebody returns to the motel and finds Tatum’s wife, Andrea Tatum, dead. The source indicates that he helped Tatum do internet search for a handgun.

March 31, 2014, Tatum is found dead in a park in DC.

So what happened to her? Where did Relisha go in the thirty days she was missing?

The legs

From Reddit:

Back in 2014, there was a pair of severed legs found along a walking trail in Butte, Montana. Nothing has come of it, no one has been identified as the owner of the legs, and the case is officially cold. The only thing they know is that they belonged to a male.

The “American Dyatlov Pass”

From Reddit:

Four of the five young men were found deceased. One of the deceased was found in a cabin. That cabin contained food and enough fuel to last for months- yet the fuel was never used and the man found there had lost almost 100 lbs and died of exposure. Three of the men were found deceased in various areas outside the cabin.

There were some possible signs of the fifth man in another cabin nearby- yet his remains have never been found and he is presumed deceased with his body yet to be discovered.

What drove these young men to abandon their still operable car? Why were they all found in different spots? Why wasn’t the fuel in the cabin used and why didn’t they all stay in that cabin since it had plenty of food and fuel?

Here’s a more in-depth look at the case. Thought Catalog Logo Mark

About the author

Erin Cossetta

More From Thought Catalog