1. Writing you a love note. Even if it’s a few lines on store-bought Christmas and Birthday cards, it’s vitally important to have something earnest you can reference when the relationship gets tough and remember what you are fighting for.
2. Telling her she’s beautiful. Out loud, in words — not as an Instagram comment.
3. Dressing up for dates. It doesn’t have to be a suit, but he should show you that he continues to care about impressing you and put in a little extra effort.
4. Going up to her door when you pick her up for a date. It takes such little effort to do this, but makes someone feel infinitely more special than just texting ‘here’.
5. Calling vs. texting. Not all the time, but with some regularity. There’s no substitute for spoken conversation and actually hearing someone’s voice.
6. Giving you his undivided attention when the situation calls for it. He wants to have conversations with you where the TV isn’t on in the background and he’s not distracted by scrolling through his Facebook feed on his phone.
7. Kissing her hello and goodbye. Be excited to see each other and sad to leave.
8. Giving you flowers on occasion. A beautiful bouquet of hydrangeas costs $8 at Whole Foods and last an entire week. It’s a simple way to say ‘I’m thinking of you’ that will make you feel joyful every time you pass them.
9. Giving her your coat or hoodie if she’s cold. There’s nothing as endearing as those little moments when you realize someone really cares about your comfort.
10. Hanging out together without TV, computers, or phones. Netflix + chill is great most of the time, but sometimes it’s nice just to be unplugged in each other’s company.
11. Putting your hand on the small of her back when you’re out in public. There’s no better feeling than this.
12. Caring about her family. Dress up, bring a gift, and put effort into conversation to make a good impression. Winning her family’s respect can only be a good thing.
13. Woo her. Plan romantic dates, write her a song (or make her a playlist), make her a lovely meal at your home. People rise to the way other people treat them and she’ll woo you in return. Both of you will be happier, feel more loved, and have a healthier relationship as a result.