1. You go out of your way to find out about their family and friends. Why? It makes your daydreams of what long-term relationship with them might look like all the more vibrant and realistic.
2. You are addicted to their social media feed.
3. Your sense of self is sharpened. You are infatuated with their greatness and it inspires you to be your best self.
4. When you smile at them you don’t smile with your usual smile. It’s a custom smile. A smile reserved just for them. A new shape of your face that only they can unlock.
5. You aren’t preoccupied with having sex with them. This isn’t lust. This is a seed of love and your longing for them is comprehensive, a yearning for all that they are.
6. That said, you have detailed ideas of what the sex might be like. Not only for the first time, but also years from now.
7. You find yourself doubting your infatuation at times. The line of thinking might go something like this: I bet I would get sick of [insert attribute here] real quick. This won’t work out. Or, I don’t think I can date someone that likes [insert type of music here]. These thoughts though are fleeting and quickly your infatuation comes back even stronger than before.
8. A positive, flirty text message from them is like lighting bolt of energy. Everything can be crappy but when that message comes it’s like a double espresso of joy that can alter the course of your day.
9. When you are with them IRL, you become simultaneously shy and social. Shy because you need to be reserved with your feelings. You can’t just blurt out your love. You have to be careful. Social because you are so intrigued by this person. You have so much to say to them, and so much you want to know about them.
10. You adjust your personality to like things they like. It’s genuine, too, you sincerely start to like the things they like.
11. When you chant their name in the back of your mind, you’re instantly calmed.
12. You have the most visceral and intense dreams about them. In fact, sometimes they’re so real that when you wake up the next morning it takes some time for you to wake up and realize it was in fact a dream.
13. Habits that might be annoying in a long-term relationship appear cute and endearing at this “I haven’t explicitly told you I like you” yet distance.
14. No matter how busy you might be, you’re more than happy to drop everything and help them do something, even if it’s a boring task like assembling IKEA furniture.
15. You worry maybe you don’t even know this person at all. That concern though is made inconsequential by your magnetic attraction to them, to figuring out what will come of this “sort of” love. Will it grow into a towering tree, or vanish into thin air?