This month I am turning 25 on the 25th. I hear that when your age matches the date of your birthday it’s good luck. They call it a golden birthday. So I’m going to go with that.
As I approach a quarter of a century, I find myself reflecting on myself and what I have and haven’t accomplished, as well as birthdays in general. I have always taken birthdays pretty seriously. One year in college I’m pretty sure we celebrated mine the whole month of October.
I’m sure some people think it’s pointless to make such a big deal out of one day. As we age, birthdays tend to get a little less exciting and people begin to dread the day that reminds them that they are a whole year older. As times have changed people are in less of a rush of figuring it all out. The whole point is to experience your journey. Don’t lose yourself in the present, preoccupied with what the future may or may not hold. You don’t want to miss out on what is happening right now. You don’t need to have a set schedule of what needs to be obtained by certain ages.
Your path is not going to be the same as someone else. In fact, you shouldn’t want it to be. So with the overkill of what is going on in other people’s lives through social media, stay focused on you. Set goals for yourself but allow yourself to meet them according to you. If you want to make a change, make it happen. Whatever age you are, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.
If you have a birthday, celebrate it. You coming into this world was a beautiful thing. Celebrate the shit out of that.
Although I’m no expert, I have figured some of it out. In honor of my 25th birthday here are 25 pieces of advice I’ve picked up along the way.
1. Being selfish is not always a negative thing.
2. When a boy doesn’t text back, that means no.
3. No one will ever fight for you as much as you, so have your back.
4. An orgasm doesn’t mean love, not even close.
5. Feeling lonely is not the same as being alone.
6. Feeling lonely is temporary.
7. Feeling disappointed is temporary.
8. If a guy doesn’t like you, you have no reason to like him.
9. Wanting to like someone and liking someone are not the same.
10. Playing the victim will never allow you to grow.
11. Communication in person will always outdo communication through a phone.
12. Sex doesn’t mean a relationship.
13. We assume too much, go and find out for yourself.
14. A guy can only break you if allow him to.
15. Just because someone treats you badly does not mean they are a bad person.
16. Rejection does not always invite the need to place blame.
17. We’re all sluts, men, and women.
18. There are girls that are crazy and men that are assholes.
19. There are also definitely girls that are assholes and guys that are crazy.
20. It’s easy to confuse lust with love, especially when you aren’t used to being loved.
21. Just because the timing is right, doesn’t mean the person is.
22. If he didn’t like you the first time, it’s not going to work the second time.
23. There is such a thing as over-communication thanks to the modern crutch known as a smartphone.
24. Negative feelings don’t always need to invite negative actions or words.
25. Focus less on the details of other people’s lives, and focus more on the details that fulfill you.