1. Love is worth celebrating in some small way every single day, even if your celebration is as simple as a shared, knowing smile.
2. It’s impressive that you’ve made it this far, so congratulate each other on staying together once in awhile.
3. It’s definitely worth having sex in the middle of the night just because you can sometimes.
4. There’s no downside to telling each other exactly why you love each other as often as possible.
5. Never forget why you fell for each other in the first place.
6. Tell each other secrets, but don’t expect to know each other completely because the beauty of being human is that no one can ever know you entirely.
7. Realize how fucking lucky you are to have found each other.
8. Create your own world together as a couple.
9. Hold onto your hearts, because it’s going to be a wild ride.
10. When things get dark, never stop believing that you can—and will—find a way forward as a couple, because believing that’s half the battle.
11. Craving a little time apart isn’t necessarily cause for distress.
12. You’re not a bad partner just because you need some time to yourself.
13. You’ll be a better partner, in fact, if you make sure that all your needs are being met.
14. Encourage each other to look out for yourselves—to be selfish so that you’re positioned to support each other better.
15. Ridiculous pet names should be embraced.
16. Don’t underestimate your capacity for forgiveness.
17. Don’t underestimate your capacity to be an asshole, either.
18. There will be times when you will have to own your mistakes, and beg for another chance.
19. You will be humbled again and again and again.
20. Invite your partner into your mind as often as you can.
21. You cannot fix a problem without first identifying and addressing exactly what’s gone wrong.
22. Recognize the happy times for what they are, and clutch them tightly.
23. Get weird whenever you can.
24. Don’t be afraid when the dynamic between you shifts a little because love isn’t static and you’ll both evolve over time.
25. It’s possible to care deeply for other people without betraying your number one.
26. Loving each other is a privilege, not a right.
27. When one of you is having an off day, the other is required to be kind.
28. Speak your authentic truth in every situation, even when your authentic truth differs vastly from your partner’s.
29. Every emotion is valid, so don’t be afraid to express how you really feel about anything.
30. It’s true that some things cannot be unsaid, so you might as well refrain from being nasty to each other mid-fight.
31. The less nasty you get, the less you’ll have to apologize.
32. Own your role in every single argument because you’re both partly responsible for every single battle.
33. Remember that it takes two willing adults to make things work.
34. Couples that play together stay together.
35. Be your absolute laziest selves without feeling at all guilty on occasion.
36. Eat too much.
37. Leave your phones at home when you go out to dinner sometimes.
38. Tell your significant other exactly why you think they’re beautiful, but don’t expect to keep your youthful good looks for your entire lives.
39. Challenge each other, but know each other’s limits,
40. Cancel your plans with friends once in awhile just to be together.
41. Watch as many movies and read as many books as possible together so you can escape reality holding hands.
42. Make sure you have at least one inside joke at all times.
43. Try to guess what your significant other is thinking because it’s fun—whether you’re right or wrong.
44. You’re going to hate each other sometimes, but hopefully not for too long.
45. It’s perfectly normal to lean on friends and family members instead of each other sometimes.
46. Be honest about what you want and need—out of your relationship and life overall—especially as those wants and needs change over time.
47. You might have to pretend to like each other’s families more than you actually do sometimes.
48. The only way to know the answer is to ask the question.
49. It’s your duty to defend each other’s honor.
50. There are a billion ways to say ‘I love you,’ so say it as often as possible in your own way.