1. Set your alarm five minutes early so you can wake up and cuddle each other without worrying about being late. Whether or not it leads to sex, physical intimacy first thing in the morning sets the stage for a pleasant, loving day.
2. Try to stay on the same sleep schedule so you can begin and end each day together, even if you’re both busy getting ready, or exhausted after work.
3. Never leave the house without kissing your significant other good-bye and wishing them well.
4. Kiss your boyfriend or girlfriend hello every time you reunite, and be sure to look them in the eye while asking how their day’s been.
5. Answer honestly when you ask each other how you’re feeling. Save the inauthentic smiles and over-enthusiastic “Greats!” for colleagues and acquaintances. Your significant other will be able to smell the truth anyway.
6. When you can tell that your partner is having an off day, ask them what you can do to help. Then give them the space and/or time they need to come around.
7. Take turns designing your free afternoons and evenings together as a couple so both parties get a chance to select activities without feeling bad about getting their way.
8. Agree to shelve any problems or serious talk at the dinner table so you can focus entirely on each other.
9. Leave each other notes in totally unexpected places for later discovery. A simple missive on a Post-it is a great investment, especially if you forget you wrote it by the time your lover finds it months later, as it will delight you both.
10. Set synchronized “think of her/him” alarms to remind yourselves how lucky you are to have each other midday no matter where you are or what you’re doing.
11. Check in with each other at off hours, too. Sometimes, a heart emoji can make all the difference in a person’s day and it takes mere seconds to draft such a simple message and hit send.
12. Naked pics aren’t just for irresponsible teenagers, so dare to sext on occasion. A sexy photo snapped in the bathroom or stairwell at work will make your partner smile wide and look forward to seeing you that much more.
13. Send each other interesting articles to read and videos to watch, because consuming content as a couple will make you feel like you’re in the same loop, even if you spend your days in separate offices doing entirely different things.
14. Agree to turn your phones off at least an hour before bed so you can really pay attention to each other.
15. Thank your boyfriend or girlfriend regularly for all the tiny ways they make your life better, whether it’s by doing a load of laundry, unloading the dishwasher, or simply existing.
16. Compliment each other at least once daily.
17. Better yet, volunteer a few reasons why you love each other. It doesn’t matter how often you repeat yourself when you’re saying kind things to the person you adore.
18. Since we all make mistakes and have our shortcomings, be sure to apologize to your partner whenever necessary. “I’m sorry” means a lot, even if the crime is relatively minor.
19. If you’re starving and your boyfriend or girlfriend is running late to dinner, eat something to tie you over and wait for them as long as possible. If it gets to the point that waiting is unreasonable, prepare something for them to eat when they get home.
20. Don’t pass out in bed with the TV on. Turn off the electronics and look at each other in the dark lying down. You don’t have to have a conversation, necessarily. Even a silent exchange can be powerful.
21. If you wake up to drink some water or to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, take a second to touch your partner tenderly for the brief moment you’re semi-conscious. It doesn’t matter if they’re sleeping. They’ll register the affection on some important level.