Always a work in progress. Consistently feeling over it, pensive, exhausted, frog-eyed, tipsy, relieved, content, all-in-one.
1. There are people who truly care about you, and people who truly don’t. Remember and appreciate the ones who show genuine love for you rather than the ones you wish cared more.
2. As frustrating and infuriating and unmanageable and uncontrollable as your family can be, nobody has your best interests at heart and loves you unconditionally more than they do.
3. Manage expectations. Manage expectations. Manage expectations.
4. The grass is green enough where you are.
5. Don’t let people invalidate your emotions or hardships, but be sure to maintain a sense of perspective.
6. I don’t care how good of a friend you are – people generally do what they want to do and telling them things they don’t want to hear honestly has rarely worked for me. Advice works best when you empathize with what they’re feeling, and support them unconditionally until they can figure things out for themselves.
7. Traveling is the most wondrous activity, but also the most wondrous luxury. Never take it for granted. Any opportunity you get to travel, do it.
8. Warm lemon water and coconut water are my go-tos for easy health.
9. Following your heart is just as important as being pragmatic, and vice-versa.
10. Even though the result may not seem immediate, if you work hard enough, good things will come along…eventually.
11. I truly believe that if you’re meant to be with someone, you’ll find your way back to each other. And if you’re not meant to be, you won’t.
12. Life is actually really unpredictable. Situations arise that you literally never thought could happen, and as much as you try to plan, literally nothing goes as planned. Literally.
13. There is nothing more attractive to me in women and men than loyalty and authenticity. It’s just pathetic when people act like big shots and treat their friendships and relationships so haphazardly, and even more pathetic when people try to be someone they’re not.
14. Choose people who walk the walk, not just talk the talk. You can’t trust anybody until they’ve followed through with action rather than empty words.
15. It’s completely up to you to make your own happiness. You can’t depend on your parents or friends for happiness. It’s unfair to them and you’ll inevitably be let down.
16. Nobody owes you shit.
17. Don’t depend on others for validation. Learn to validate yourself.
18. If you’re trying to be healthy and you totally cave one evening on pizza and chicken, don’t kill yourself. Start over the next day and it’ll be fine. Just don’t make the pizza and chicken a habit. Or do make it a habit if you don’t care. You do you. It’s about balance and not beating yourself up.
19. Beating around the bush is dumb. Be straightforward and honest.
20. People tend to be pretty self-absorbed, which means that a) you shouldn’t put all your faith in them and b) you don’t have to worry so much about what other people think of you.
21. Don’t make time for people who don’t make time for you.
22. Complacency in any situation is v. dangerous.
23. Exercise!!!! You have one body, so please take care of it.
24. If you want to do what you love and it doesn’t pay as well, then stop complaining and adjust your lifestyle. If you enjoy a more extravagant lifestyle, you’re going to have to work for it, even if it’s a job you don’t like.
25. Last one for luck – be kind. Even when people take it for granted.