1. They’ll watch really good shows with you (read: Making a Murderer) and they’ll watch really so-bad-that-they’re-good shows with you (read: The Bachelor).
2. There’s no need to worry about whether or not you’re seeing all the funniest content Instagram has to offer, because they tag you in the comments section of funny photos approximately every twenty-six minutes.
3. Going out to dinner with them is so much more enjoyable than going out to dinner with a love interest, because you’re not worried about small talk, bloating, your outfit, or how many side dishes is appropriate to order at
P.F. Chang’s whatever restaurant you go to.
4. Your Snapchat account never gets lonely, as you receive at least five horrendous Snaps from them every single day, often before noon.
5. They’re the first person you go to for life advice: Should I quit my job? Can I use this Advil if it expired two years ago? How much longer do I have to wait before I can eat at Chipotle again?
6. They’re the only person you can talk to on the phone without hating every second of it.
7. You can double, triple, and quadruple text them with no sense of shame.
8. Anyone you date pretty much dates your best friend for the first few weeks too, since they’re always helping you craft your ~aloof but intriguing~ text messages to your future potential lobster.
9. And they know what the hell you’re talking about when you talk about finding your lobster.
10. They always know what food to bring you when you’re hungover, or stressed, or just hating life, or all three.
11. You can count on them to slap you if you ever refer to someone as ‘bae’ non-ironically.
12. Whenever you have something serious that you really need to talk about with someone, they’ll always put down their phone and give you their full attention. It shouldn’t be an admirable feat but, such is life.
13. You never have to begin a conversation (via phone or in person) with small talk, gratuitous exclamation points, or polite segues. You can just get right to the damn point: “I am questioning all of my life choices and I need you to fix me.” Or “So I hate my brother’s girlfriend.” Or “I gave up my New Year’s Resolution three weeks ago and I feel bad about it.”
14. The weirder you are together, the more at home you feel together.