1. The quarter-life crisis is a real thing. You will hit a point where nothing makes sense, where you question everything, and wonder how you got here. That’s okay. It (should) pass. It may take a wild and crazy act of insanity, but it works itself out.
2. People change. It’s not you, it really is them. And there’s nothing you can do about it. Sometimes it’s for the best – sometimes it’s not. Try not to hold it against them, they’re figuring it out, too.
3. Bad things happen to really great people. I don’t know why; they just do. But everything truly does happen for a reason, and there’s a lesson hidden somewhere in the pain and struggle. Learn the lesson, and appreciate that you made it through the pain.
4. Taking a minute to have a mini dance party – wherever it takes place – to your favorite song is the fastest way to cheer yourself up. Turn it up, shimmy it out.
5. Laughing works even better. A true, from-the-gut, ab-workout-style laugh is the best medicine.
6. Someone you let your guard down for and gave your heart to will treat you like shit and hurt you. It’s not right, but it does happen. Don’t let this destroy your self-confidence. They aren’t worth your time. It really is their loss, and karma really is a huge bitch. You’ll laugh about it later.
7. An apple a day does not keep the doctor away. You still get sick. And you need way more than an apple.
8. Your relationship with food is a thing of beauty. Fuel your body with what it needs, and treat it right. When you’re hungry, eat. If you want that damn cookie, just do it. Stop torturing yourself.
9. Doing nothing in particular with people who mean the world to you will make you realize what life is all about. These people are your soul mates. Keep them close.
10. The power of positivity is a real thing. If you truly believe that something good will happen, it will. Because your good vibes are like gold, and they attract other good things.
11. Your family may not always understand why you do the things you do, but they will always be there to support you. Make sure you thank them now and then for believing in you.
12. Bad decisions. They are both a blessing and a curse. Appreciate the blessing, and learn from the curse.
13. Closure sex isn’t real. You’ll still feel the feelings and want more sex once it’s over. Instead, have closure coffee and then go on that date you have lined up in a few hours with a new prospect. Don’t sleep with him yet.
14. One night stands are totally fine, if you’re emotionally stable. They can give you new confidence, add a pep in your step, and make you want to piss sunshine for the next 24 hours. But, said closure coffee dude (CCD)
above left you emotionally unstable, just to be clear.
15. Dirty talk is sexy. Don’t half-ass it. Say what you want. Say what you need. Say what you enjoy. Say it with confidence. Just do it. You’ll thank yourself later.
16. Your job is not who you are. It’s 40ish hours of your life each week (okay, if you’re lucky). Make sure you realize this, and treat it as such. Workaholics are fantastic people, if they can disconnect long enough to enjoy non-work-related things.
17. Find a hobby. Have it be something that you truly love and look forward to doing each week. Pour your heart and soul into it. It will make a difference. It’s your breath of fresh air.
18. Having a niece or a nephew is the best gift a sibling can give you. And once they smile at you or reach for your arms, you’ll understand why. Shower them with gifts, and tell them how much you love them. One day they’ll grow up and be able to tell you how much they appreciate you.
19. Keep in touch with friends that you spent hours laughing with, crying with, getting into trouble with, or doing nothing with. You may grow apart, but your memories still remain. Just check in and let them know you were reminiscing. Let them reminisce, too.
20. You will lose people. Whether from disease, tragedy, time, or accident, it does happen. The pain never completely goes away. Focus on the memories and smile for them. They would want that for you.
21. Sometimes the best listener is a piece of paper (or word document). Write what you want to say. Write what you feel. Write what you’re thinking. Just write. Maybe you’ll teach yourself something.
22. Get lost in a book. It doesn’t matter what genre or author. As long as you enjoy it, that’s all that matters. Find something you can’t put down and need to stay up too late reading. Then take a minute and have a little cry when it’s over. Because it’s a devastating realization.
23. Living with your significant other will either make you stronger or tear you apart. It will change things. You will learn things about that other person you never wished to learn. You will learn things about yourself. It may end; if it does, know that you tried and it was worth the experience.
24. Living with your best friend will forever ruin all future roommate situations. You will never find a better roommate than your chosen family. Make every moment count, and live it up. It’s like reliving your college years with money and no classes.
25. Never ever ever ever regret. In some way, shape or form, you wanted to do that stupid thing you did. In that moment it was your best idea ever, and exactly what you needed. You survived, didn’t you?
26. Your smile is your best accessory. Smile when things are good. Smile even when things are bad. Smile because you can. Smile at a stranger. Smile at someone special. Smile because there’s so much to smile about. Smile because this is only the beginning, and there’s so much more to look forward to.