It’s been previously reported that the extremist group called the Islamic State has been taking slaves out of Iraq and Syria’s Christian and Yazidi population but today a price list for these captured women has appeared in the press via Iraqi News.
Iraqi News also translated the document. I’ve provided the currency conversions below:
- A (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 40 to 50 years, is for 50,000 dinars. = $43.01
- The rate of a (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 30 to 40 years, is 75,000 dinars. = $64.52
- The rate for a (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 20 to 30 years, is 100,000 dinars. = $86.02
- A (Yazidi or Christian) girl, aged 10 to 20 years, is for 150,000 dinars. = $129.03
- A (Yazidi or Christian) child’s price, aged 1 to 9 years, is 200,000 dinars. = $172.04
Note how valuable the 1 to 9 year olds are as compared to the rest. If the reported information is true then this price would seem to reflect that girls that age are seemingly guaranteed virgins since I can’t imagine this is simply an adoption opportunity for Islamic State militants.
A report in mid-October described unthinkably brutal conditions in which these Christian and Yazidi women are raped over and over again. One woman who managed to get a phone and called the Kurdish Peshmerga stated the following, according to the DailyMail:
Describing the woman as crying on the phone, Karam quoted her as saying: ‘If you know where we are please bomb us… There is no life after this. I’m going to kill myself anyway – others have killed themselves this morning.’
‘I’ve been raped 30 times and it’s not even lunchtime. I can’t go to the toilet. Please bomb us,’ he claimed the woman added.