We all experience ups and downs in life. When it comes to the ENFP personality type, the ups and downs are magnified – ENFPs are creatures of extremes. However, there comes a point where the behaviour crosses into the emotionally unhealthy range.
It’s important to note that Enneagram type will likely come into play here. Type 7 ENFPs are more prone to ‘running away from their problems’ and seeking external solutions to internal problems, whereas Type 4 ENFPs are more likely to dwell on their problems to the point of obsession. Either way, here are 22 signs to help discern whether your ENFP loved one is thriving or if they might be struggling.
1. A healthy ENFP is outgoing and welcomes new people into their lives with warmth. An unhealthy ENFP is reclusive and guarded.
2. A healthy ENFP understands that they have good days and bad days, and knows how to take care of themselves on the latter. An unhealthy ENFP thinks the whole world is coming to an end every time they have a bad day.
3. A healthy ENFP is brainstorming new ideas and is unafraid to try out the best ones. An unhealthy ENFP is scared to try new things and sticks to the safest route.
4. A healthy ENFP is happy for others and wants to celebrate their good fortune. An unhealthy ENFP is jealous of others and petty about their success.
5. A healthy ENFP can commit to what they feel strongly about. An unhealthy ENFP is flippant and indecisive, even when they know what they want deep down.
6. A healthy ENFP is enthusiastic about others ideas and aims to help them brainstorm new plans. An unhealthy ENFP is negative about others’ ideas and pokes holes in their theories or plans.
7. A healthy ENFP understands that social interaction is important to them. An unhealthy ENFP denies this and thinks that they can ‘go it alone.’
8. A healthy ENFP listens to others points of view. An unhealthy ENFP lashes out at others, believing they always know best.
9. A healthy ENFP is creative and imaginative. An unhealthy ENFP feels bleak and has a difficult time coming up with new ideas.
10. A healthy ENFP seeks stimulation through brainstorming new ideas. An unhealthy ENFP seeks stimulation through dangerous or self-defeating activities.
11. A healthy ENFP is confident and self-assured. An unhealthy ENFP requires an excessive amount of external validation to feel good about him or herself.
12. A healthy ENFP is optimistic and brave. An unhealthy ENFP is anxious and worried.
13. A healthy ENFP wants the best for those around them. An unhealthy ENFP manipulates those around them to achieve what he or she wants.
14. A healthy ENFP enjoys taking on new challenges. An unhealthy ENFP shies away from novel opportunities, doubting his or her ability to handle them.
15. A healthy ENFP is charming and personable with others. An unhealthy ENFP is disinterested and awkward around others.
16. A healthy ENFP is passionate but keeps themselves in check. An unhealthy ENFP is obsessive and unyielding.
17. A healthy ENFP gives their loved ones space to explore and be independent. An unhealthy ENFP fears the people they love will disappear on them.
18. A healthy ENFP is thoughtful and seeks out meaningful experiences. An unhealthy ENFP distracts themselves through any means necessary.
19. A healthy ENFP welcomes changes in plans and situations. An unhealthy ENFP wants to be in control of everything.
20. A healthy ENFP follows through on commitments that they know are important to other people. An unhealthy ENFP flakes on plans and doesn’t consider the feelings of those around them.
21. A healthy ENFP is aware of their physical needs and takes care of their body. An unhealthy ENFP goes to extremes – either totally neglecting their physical needs or absolutely obsessing over them.
22. A healthy ENFP knows when he or she needs help. An unhealthy ENFP is scared to admit that anything’s wrong at all.