1. Sometimes we exchange a like for a like. Have you ever been told that so-and-so-who-you-barely-ever-noticed-before has a crush on you, then suddenly you felt a mutual liking for them? Well the attraction might be reciprocated based mostly on the fact that you feel complimented by their feelings, and automatically relate those pleasant, positive thoughts to so-and-so-who-you-barely-ever-noticed-before.
2. Symmetrical faces are at an advantage. People love them some straight, well aligned eyes, lips and noses. Symmetry tends to be found attractive because it’s basically all perfect and junk, which is directly related to excellent genes and the potential to create beautiful babies. I know there are more eloquent ways to word that, but the point is that those with flawlessly proportioned faces tend to catch quite a few eyes. Don’t fret, my fellow crooked-structure-faced friends, there are plenty of highly enjoyed asymmetrical faces. Who, you ask? For example, some dude named Ryan Gosling and a lady named Ashley Greene — two well known lookers and perfect examples of the opposite of the symmetrical appeal.
3. Birth control pills can take control of attraction. A study found that these oral contraceptives influenced some women’s opinions so significantly that down the road, they were more prone to losing attraction to their partner. The pill may persuade a woman to seek redeeming qualities such as brains and financial security, or completely alter her preferences while taking a regular dose of it. The research also showed that while they often became asexual with, or completely turned off by their companion, they were more appreciative of that person’s other offerings, which made them more likely to stay involved in the relationship.
4. People whose parents had them in their 30s or 40s are likely to find older looking faces more attractive than someone born to a younger couple. If your celebrity crushes tend to be elderly politicians, retired professional athletes, older celebrities or people with AARP cards, welp, just consider your parents’ age when they had you.
5. Sometimes love is legitimately in the air. There’s some odorless pheromone of sorts that men release called androstadienone. It is in sweat, but again, it’s odorless, so anyone smelling like armpits need not continue skipping showers and deodorant. It doesn’t work that way, go and wash your body now, ya hear? This stuff is capable of causing its victims to be increasingly stimulated and alert, but it’s very subtle so nobody’s going to aggressively jump your bones like on those ridiculous AXE body spray commercials.
6. The higher the unfathomable pedestal you place a person on, the more you’ll want them. If there’s a person you think very highly of, to the point where you consider them essentially unattainable, you’re going to find them attractive because in your eyes, they embody the epitome of damn near perfection. Want to have a brutally intense crush on someone? Convince yourself that they’re “out of your league,” then watch the stock market that is your heart declare their stock rapidly rising.
7. Hungry men tend to favor heavier women. Psychologists say it’s a socioeconomic thing since in theory, a larger woman would be associated with having access to resources. You know, a full refrigerator and a bunch of edible assets. The notion of someone subconsciously being attracted to a person for the potential nourishment in their pantry isn’t much different from a person being drawn toward a guy or gal who is wearing expensive jewelry or clothing, because they know very well what that implies about their fund$.
8. If you make the first move, you’ll be more attracted. Think of times when you’re the original creator of a project, willing to go to extreme lengths to make sure your baby doesn’t die. A connection with a human being is obviously different in many other ways, but by being the initiator, you’re liable to care at least a little bit more and have stronger feelings during the early stages of attraction.
9. Wearing a particular color can increase your sex appeal. The oh-so-special aforementioned hue is none other than red. Just by donning it you’re upping your attractiveness and appeal, and it’s as if any red article of clothing changes the way a person is perceived sexually. Hope you kept the receipt for all fifty shades of grey, because you’re going to want to exchange ‘em for some red ones.